Sign in to follow this  
ThePugman

Inventory Tweak

A bit wordy, but I think it’s a worthwhile topic. The backpack thing has been said before, but it’s particularly relevant here..

Does anyone else thing that clothing need to be adjusted to better simulate pockets? 

At the moment, we can fit 2 cooking pots, and a weapon cleaning kit, in a pair of military pants. You can fit an mp5 in a field vest! This is silly, and further removes the importance of planning in DayZ.

I would like to see clothing items change from being big open boxes, to smaller separate boxes. For example military pants are 30 slots (5x6)... it would be much better if it were made up of 5 lots of 3x2. Then the biggest item we could fit would be a pistol or a canteen. This would be much more realistic.

Players would have to think and make more choices. Especially concerning firearms. We shouldn’t be able to hide an smg in clothing. It’s unrealistic, and allows unfair advantages. This is even more important now we have a second shoulder slot! This isn’t a battle royale game. It’s survival! We need to plan carefully, not just pick up everything we fancy.

Finding a backpack needs to be a vital process for survival!

Speaking of backpacks...

The backpack should not be easily accessible like it is now. We wear it on our back! It should be reserved for items we don’t need quick access to. The hotbar function should be disabled for any items inside. Also, they should remove the ability to access it whilst we are wearing it..

A SIMPLE solution would be that we have to put the backpack into our hand slot, in order to take items out. It sounds extreme, but as I mentioned, the backpack should be reserved for non-urgent items such as food, repair kits, etc. A player should NEVER be able to surprise us by instantly shooting a weapon they’ve hotbarred or magically dragged from their backpack.

With these changes, they could also allow us to jog in the inventory, again. There’s no reason why you couldn’t grab an item out of your pockets whilst jogging... or whilst looking through a backpack in your hands.

Thoughts?

Edited by ThePugman
  • Beans 3

I basically agree with everything you've said here @ThePugman but here we are, approaching one year since official release, and the inventory slots are still so far out of whack that I personally don't think Bohemia are going to change them this drastically at this stage of the game.

This would make a great mod though -- "Real Inventories" -- as I would also like to see "pockets" as you've said, a cooking pot fits in a backpack, not in clothing.

The backpack in hands idea is logical, but I feel most would find it becoming tedious quickly.  At the end of the day, it is a game where you have departures from realism in many areas, like the ability to plant, grow and eat vegetables basically on the same day, for example.

• Like 1

@drgullen Thanks for the feedback. Sadly, I think your right. It’s madness to even be thinking about basic ideas like this 6 years into development. Modding probably does make more sense, given that it’s likely not for everyone. I’ll have to look into it.

@KajMak64Bit2 It’s not a vote, it’s a discussion... Tell me why you think that!

Edited by ThePugman

@KajMak64Bit2 There’s a large portion of the player base who are disappointed with the simplicity of modern DayZ. They are, perhaps, not the majority. But yes, a mod for a dedicated server may be better.

While the backpack thing would be a little over the top for my liking, balancing or a better simulation of pockets would be a welcome addition. I guess this is one of the things that got streamlined for console releases, making it as easy as possible to fit stuff in, even if it doesn't make much sense, like your example with cooking pots inside pants. But as already stated, this will more then likely be a job for modders, just like fishing, helicopers, diversitiy of weapons etc etc...at least we can climb now, yay.

I would rather see this as a mod instead of having it implemented into the game, to be honest I think it would be to tedious and might actually cost them some players if they implemented it. 

The mod might also do so that you have to hit the pockets to actually destroy the items in those pockets, hitting ones shoulder and therefore ruin the items in the jacket pockets seems a tad silly. 

1. The idea has the correct idea of how it should be and work. This may be in demand on servers, but not at all.
This will require adding a lot of assortment to the inventory database: there is a 1 liter bottle, you need to add 0.5 and 0.25 liters and a similar variety in the assortment. Pans are also different, for cooking for one person you can use a pan less than what is currently used in the game.
As a result, if all this is realized, the player will need a little more time to search for all the necessary items, items with good sorting in a defragmented inventory space.
2. Regarding the quick menu of the inventory - if there is a change in the way of accessing the inventory space of the backpack, this will lead to the fact that the players will store there only those items that do not need quick access. Now in the game there are also few items that need quick or emergency access. The player performs all other actions in the inventory in a safe environment. This will temporarily affect the change in the gameplay, just need a new training in muscle memory.
3. Quick inventory menu. Inventory space of trouser pockets, vest pockets, holster, scabbard - all this will remain in quick access in the quick inventory menu. In real life, a trained person can, with his eyes closed, take out an object he needs from his pocket. For this reason, inventory quick menu cells have the correct location and purpose.