Leah Snow

Anyone else getting dinged by Steam for up-voting mods?

Fishing Mod was removed. I got dinged and can no longer up or down vote mods. Base Furniture Mod has been removed. Apparently now my account standing is in jeopardy. I had nothing to do with the creation of either of these mods. I've never submitted anything to the workshop at all. The two mods I mentioned are the only ones removed from the long list of mods I used on my server. I wanted to remove all my vote's but I can't because my ability to do so has been blocked 🙁. I've reached out to Steam and all I get is that they have no record of exactly what happened. I think I'm a good person and up-voting a good mod in appreciation and support of the mod author is the done thing.

As a result of all of this I've asked Steam to remove all my votes, etc from Workshop offerings. I'm not being petulant by doing this but I can't jeopardize the rest of my Steam library. I've been with Steam for years.

I just wonder am I the only one having these issues with the Steam hosted DayZ mods?

Edit: We're keeping the server.

Edited by Leah Snow
clarity

Stuff in Steam forums and workshops can't have any real consequenses to you and your games as far as i am aware. Haven't received a ban yet, but a warning a few weeks ago for asking a Tropico 6 dev if he took PR lessons from BI Studios for giving out cookie cutter answers. Some people don't have any humour.

• Haha 1
  • Beans 1

@Leah Snow The two mods you mentioned in your first post, I have not used these two mods on my server or upvoted them etc so I have no idea why I have got that particular message when I tried to upvote a completely different mod. I also don't have any mods missing from the launcher, so I'm at a loss as to why I got denied to upvote a mod.

• Thanks 1

I got a popup from steam saying my dayz files don't match the files in steam cloud. I play on a  server with mods/

I just closed the pop up.

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

4 hours ago, MetalHead2112 said:

@Leah Snow You mean like this ?

https://imgur.com/e8xQ2QP

I wouldn't worry about it too much to be honest.

That's what the first warning said yesterday when I was trying to up-vote a mod. Today, when I was trying to remove all of my votes period so that silly crap can't happen again, I got "Your account may not be in good standing or you don't own the game". 😕

4 hours ago, MetalHead2112 said:

@Leah Snow The two mods you mentioned in your first post, I have not used these two mods on my server or upvoted them etc so I have no idea why I have got that particular message when I tried to upvote a completely different mod. I also don't have any mods missing from the launcher, so I'm at a loss as to why I got denied to upvote a mod.

I'm wondering if it's because those two mods I mentioned contained models from the vanilla game. I never even gave all that a second thought. In my mind, those are issues Steam should handle and why blame the end user? Seems like bad business to me.

Steam CSR told me that people who vote for mods that get banned are generally people with compromised accounts and maybe I accidentally up-voted a "spam" or a "malicious" mod. She was really sweet but she was also really clueless. She said that the information affiliated with restrictions like that isn't kept ... 🤨

My account isn't compromised. I'm not a hacker, lol. I'm wondering what the hell any of all the fuss has to do with me. I have to raise a brow at end users getting "restricted" because someone posted a mod in Steam's very own library that is against Steams very own standards, no matter how vague the issue may be. Seems like a cat chasing its own tail kinda.

Either way, it makes me wary of touching anything in the library particularly since the word "malicious" was used. I've not used any mod on my server that appeared to be against any standards. I've been using the furniture mod pretty much since it came out like in May or June I think? Maybe earlier.

When I saw the fishing mod I was like "YASSSS!" Could only basket fish but still, it was better than no fishing. Those Carp must have been uber naughty to get banned?! I'm not sure what end users can do to figure out if a seemingly innocent mod is against standards. TBH I wonder if with the fishing mod it's a case of "Don't touch fishing. Look for it in an upcoming DLC".

Apparently we can use the mods, we just can't vote for them. If we do vote for them, we make ourselves "complicit" if a standard was broken. Once restricted, we can't remove any votes to safeguard ourselves from further problems. 😞

Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to know if anyone else had experienced the same.

Edited by Leah Snow
clarity

From what I've read this morning, The base furniture mod was pulled for some reason and removed for violating the terms, but this morning that very same mod is back as a v2.0 but with changes apparently.

• Like 1

I just read the same. Apparently it was something to do with an emblem breaking some sort of copyright. I don't recognize the emblem on the fridge or the box. 🙄

I'm just a stay at home Mom who enjoys gaming and I'm running the server with my friend for fun. I hope all this gets sorted.

While not as worried as I was, I still won't vote on mods anymore. The policy of holding players accountable for mod content because of an up-vote is ludicrous.

Edited by Leah Snow
clarity
  • Beans 1

@Leah Snow I read it was a workbench of some sort that was the issue and had to be removed. Maybe it's an asset from another game by Bohemia etc ? Whatever a mod creator puts in a mod has nothing to do with anyone else except the person who has created such content. Getting a temp ban for upvoting a mod is pathetic and Steam need to get there act together.

Edited by MetalHead2112

wait what... 
Can we be punished for using mods that steam have agreed to be put up on their workshop to begin with?