Kent Gissing

ADA right side doors went missing from the game

I am unsure how I am actually suppose to confirm if this is a bug or not, but I'll give it a shot anyway. A couple of weeks ago I installed the "Build anywhere" mod from the workshop, subscribed, installed it correctly and everything worked. The only reason why I mention this is because around that time, suddenly the door of my ADA 4X4 that was parked in Vybor disappeared. Now, I thought this might have been some crazy local glitch, that the door might have come off somehow and vanished in the ground texture or something because it didn't show up in the car as an attatched door anymore (And it's not invisible or anything, it just isn't there), and didn't think anything of it... but then I got to my main base in the vicinity of Berezino, halfway across the country, and the second ADA I had there was now ALSO missing it's right side door. Ever since, I have not seen the ADA right side door anywhere, in storage units, garages, factories... it doesn't seem to spawn. I could probably check and confirm if certain lines in certain server files have the entries for the right side door there, but I am actually a little bit unsure as to where I am to check this and what it should say. Could anyone help me?

I would check in your server types.xml file to see if (a) this door is defined there and (b) if it is, what its values are for nominal and min.  If it isn't defined or those values are 0, that would explain it.

A car that you have moved becomes part of the persistence files, so if it had doors on it before, it still should.  The fact that it doesn't makes me think the mod has altered the configuration and omitted the door somewhere.  I would report this to the mod creator as well if you haven't already.

Also, if you uninstall the mod, do the doors reappear in the world?

I would check in your server types.xml file to see if (a) this door is defined there and (b) if it is, what its values are for nominal and min.  If it isn't defined or those values are 0, that would explain it.

A car that you have moved becomes part of the persistence files, so if it had doors on it before, it still should.  The fact that it doesn't makes me think the mod has altered the configuration and omitted the door somewhere.  I would report this to the mod creator as well if you haven't already.

Alright, so I checked in the Types.xml file... and the entry marked as HatchbackDoors_CoDriver (because the other was HatchbackDoors_Driver) has the values nominal 15 and min 5. But it's weird as many of the same values for other items which ARE in the game have the values set to 0, so it doesn't appear to matter that much. Hatchback_02 for instance, which is the Gunter, has it's value set to nominal 0 and min 0, but I have two of them and drive them just fine.

Btw, uninstalling the mod prevents me from accessing my private server at all as I have built a lot of things that aren't supposed to be able to be built by the vanilla game's woefully flawed alignment placement boxes.

I could go on the official servers and check, but I am guessing that wouldn't give an accurate indication of what we want to find out regarding my own server.

Edited by Kent Gissing

On 8/28/2019 at 12:30 AM, drgullen said:

And a sidenote, where exactly are the persistance files located?

On 9/5/2019 at 7:18 AM, Kent Gissing said:

And a sidenote, where exactly are the persistance files located?

They are located within the storage_1 folder which is within the mission folder.

I'm not sure how to help you from here.  In a previous post, you said: "uninstalling the mod prevents me from accessing my private server at all as I have built a lot of things that aren't supposed to be able to be built by the vanilla game's woefully flawed alignment placement boxes."  I'm not even sure what you mean by that, but you might consider starting over if you can't access your server as a vanilla server, because you should be able to.

I can't explain the fact that you're seeing items in the world with a nominal value of 0 and not seeing some with nominal values greater than 0.  You could perhaps do a test where you temporarily delete that storage_1 folder (i.e. move it somewhere else) which would wipe persistence completely.  At that point, AFAIK, the world is supposed to be populated as per the XML configurations, so perhaps it's your server's current persistence state that is skewing the numbers.

On 9/6/2019 at 9:33 PM, drgullen said:

They are located within the storage_1 folder which is within the mission folder.

I'm not sure how to help you from here.  In a previous post, you said: "uninstalling the mod prevents me from accessing my private server at all as I have built a lot of things that aren't supposed to be able to be built by the vanilla game's woefully flawed alignment placement boxes."  I'm not even sure what you mean by that, but you might consider starting over if you can't access your server as a vanilla server, because you should be able to.

I can't explain the fact that you're seeing items in the world with a nominal value of 0 and not seeing some with nominal values greater than 0.  You could perhaps do a test where you temporarily delete that storage_1 folder (i.e. move it somewhere else) which would wipe persistence completely.  At that point, AFAIK, the world is supposed to be populated as per the XML configurations, so perhaps it's your server's current persistence state that is skewing the numbers.

If I try this, would I be able to copy the storage_1 folder and paste it back into the game after the persistance wipe and in effect reintegrate what I have accomplished so far?

Btw, this (image) is what I meant about me not being able to access my server if the mod is not installed. The mod acts as a dependency because with it you can build base walls litterally anywhere and without the mod, the game refuses to load because the base walls that have been built are being rejected by the game's programming.

Edited by Kent Gissing

5 hours ago, Kent Gissing said:

If I try this, would I be able to copy the storage_1 folder and paste it back into the game after the persistance wipe and in effect reintegrate what I have accomplished so far?

Btw, this (image) is what I meant about me not being able to access my server if the mod is not installed. The mod acts as a dependency because with it you can build base walls litterally anywhere and without the mod, the game refuses to load because the base walls that have been built are being rejected by the game's programming.

Yeah, if you copy the storage_1 folder back into place, then whatever is in that folder will once again become your persistence the next time the server is restarted.  Be warned though that if you try this after upgrading to a newer version of the client/server, you could get some weirdness depending on what was changed in the upgrade.  For example, if the name of a specific item was changed, in your storage_1 folder, you'll have references to the old name, so that could cause the server to crash if you were to interact with that item in your inventory as an example.  If you're still on the same version though, it should work fine.

I looked at the image and what that tells me is that your client is still looking for the mod.  Do you have a list of mods in your start parameters maybe?  In any case, that's what that means to me anyway -- the client still thinks the server is modded and is expecting to find that PBO.

6 hours ago, drgullen said:

Yeah, if you copy the storage_1 folder back into place, then whatever is in that folder will once again become your persistence the next time the server is restarted.  Be warned though that if you try this after upgrading to a newer version of the client/server, you could get some weirdness depending on what was changed in the upgrade.  For example, if the name of a specific item was changed, in your storage_1 folder, you'll have references to the old name, so that could cause the server to crash if you were to interact with that item in your inventory as an example.  If you're still on the same version though, it should work fine.

I looked at the image and what that tells me is that your client is still looking for the mod.  Do you have a list of mods in your start parameters maybe?  In any case, that's what that means to me anyway -- the client still thinks the server is modded and is expecting to find that PBO.

Ok, I'm going to try it when I have the time and will get back to you. 🙂 I was just afraid of losing my base building progress if I tampered with the storage folder.
Just so I understand correctly... I copy-paste the Storage_1 folder somewhere else, then I remove the original source, start the server and enter the game. Then I exit the game and just move the copied folder back to it's original location and reboot server and game again?

Exactly, so that's why I can't connect to the server. It's just how it is, client is looking for the mod but can't find it because I deactivated it, and that's because I already positioned walls in game that need the mod to work.

Edited by Kent Gissing

6 hours ago, Kent Gissing said:

I copy-paste the Storage_1 folder somewhere else, then I remove the original source, start the server and enter the game. Then I exit the game and just move the copied folder back to it's original location and reboot server and game again?

Exactly.  What you'll end up with is two distinctly different sets of persistence files.  The set you copied somewhere else containing your original persistence and then the new set of files that will get written as soon as you start up the server.

On 10/3/2019 at 8:34 PM, drgullen said:

Exactly.  What you'll end up with is two distinctly different sets of persistence files.  The set you copied somewhere else containing your original persistence and then the new set of files that will get written as soon as you start up the server.

Do I delete the new folder when I put back the copy-pasted original or should I just merge the folders basically?

1 minute ago, Kent Gissing said:

Do I delete the new folder when I put back the copy-pasted original or should I just merge the folders basically?

Make sure the server is down, then (assuming you don't also want to save a copy of this new persistence) delete the folder before replacing the original.

Alright, so today I had the time to do a little testing. I did as you said, drgullen, I removed the storage_1 folder to a safe location, started the server and then logged in. Completely new character and a fresh start. Ok, great. Let's find some ADAs. Litterally the first ADA spawnpoint I found had an ADA and did it have the right side door? ... yes, it did! But, this to me is confusing because the mod was stilla active. I even tried putting down a fence inside a house wall just to make sure that the mod was running and it was. Exited, closed the server, removed the new storage_1 folder and replaced it with the original one. Started up the server again and relogged. Back in my old guy, I found two ADAs, both missing right side doors. Didn't really have time to check if any doors spawn as separate items around the map, but I am assuming they don't.

What conclusion do you draw from this, drgullen?

Edited by Kent Gissing

I honestly don't know what to tell you.  This is a weird one you have here.  The spawning of the doors in the world should have nothing to do with persistence -- things only go into the persistence files once they've been touched by a player, so you should be seeing at least some doors spawning.

As a temporary test, you could try changing some of the values in the types.xml related to these doors -- set the min and nominal values to 0 for all the other doors and parts of that car and for the right side door, set it to something high, like 100 min and nominal.  Make sure you backup your types file first of course.

You should see plenty of right-side doors with that change, but if you still don't, I would try verifying your server files with Steam as perhaps one or more files are corrupted or missing which would account for it.  Doing this might overwrite any files you've modified, so take backups of them before you do it just in case.

Sorry, don't know what else to suggest at this point.

Edited by drgullen
typo

Alright, I have changed the types lines as suggested and have now been destroying ADAs just to have them respawn to see if they spawn with the right side door anywhere. It will most likely take time so I will get back to you when I get a conclusive result. (Curiously though, right beneath the hatchback entry in the types document, we have the "Hatchback_02" which is still set to 0 in both nominal and min which it always has been and the Gunter is still spawning in as usual)

Okay well, be aware that changing those values in the types.xml file doesn't necessarily mean the cars will spawn with that door attached.  You have to look in cfgeventspawns for that since the car is listed in there with a bunch of random chances of having the various bits spawn attached to the car.  This is why every time you find a car, it always has a different set of things either attached or missing.

At the beginning of this thread, you said: "Ever since, I have not seen the ADA right side door anywhere, in storage units, garages, factories..." so that's what changing the values in types.xml should do -- by turning off the other car parts and increasing the value of the right side door, you should now see a bunch of doors spawning in the world, but not necessarily spawning already attached to the car.  I hope that made sense.

3 hours ago, drgullen said:

Okay well, be aware that changing those values in the types.xml file doesn't necessarily mean the cars will spawn with that door attached.  You have to look in cfgeventspawns for that since the car is listed in there with a bunch of random chances of having the various bits spawn attached to the car.  This is why every time you find a car, it always has a different set of things either attached or missing.

At the beginning of this thread, you said: "Ever since, I have not seen the ADA right side door anywhere, in storage units, garages, factories..." so that's what changing the values in types.xml should do -- by turning off the other car parts and increasing the value of the right side door, you should now see a bunch of doors spawning in the world, but not necessarily spawning already attached to the car.  I hope that made sense.

It did, absolutely. 🙂 But I think you mean the document cfgspawnabletypes, because cfgeventspawns only has the coordinates for all the spawnpoints on the map.

2 hours ago, Kent Gissing said:

It did, absolutely. 🙂 But I think you mean the document cfgspawnabletypes, because cfgeventspawns only has the coordinates for all the spawnpoints on the map.

Yeah sorry about that -- too many xml files with similar names for my old brain to handle sometimes!  😋

• Like 1

So, after some time, I can deduce that nothing has worked, I still have this problem. One thing of note is that I can now use ZomBerry's admin tools to spawn a right side door for the ADA. However, whenever I restart the server, the right side doors on all in-game ADAs disappear. And I have not been able to find any loose right side doors spawning in as free loot in the world.

Edited by Kent Gissing