Hello

What is the best gear to be a sniper? Any tips for a sniper? What is the most powerful rifle?

As a sniper, you will have to be aware of your environment; therefore, the type of flora (plants) will dictate what to wear.  I find the hunting clothes to be proficient for camouflage, paired with black or brown hiking boots.  Consider ghillie headwear and possibly the ghillie wrap for your rifle. Lying prone near a similarly colored bush or tree can make for highly effective camouflage.  The ghillie items are crafted from burlap and netting.  An SK 59/66 can be effective inside of 300 meters, but isn't a great weapon at range due to the fact that PU scope optics are inferior in magnification to the Hunting scope.  Do not discount the Mosin 91/30 rifle chambered in the beefy 7.62x54mmR caliber. Again only PU scope available for Mosin. The two best rifles are also of high caliber: M70 Tundra is chambered in .308 Winchester rounds, and the VSD is chambered in 7.62x54mmR rounds. The rounds are nearly identical.  Happy hunting!

Edited by EzyStriderPS4

Learn to range, if you dont have a rangefinder than pick up a PSO-1 scope and use the range indicator from that one, if you can't find one of those then a map can show you distance in 100m squares if you zoom in on it. 
If you do find a rangefinder then make it into a habit of guessing the distance before you measure it, this way you will get good at guessing pretty fast.
First shot is the most important, therefore range it and if possible wait until target is still, go for head. You can easily find a M70 in the castles around the map and if a hunting scope is not attached then you can find a scope at the camping areas, ammo is easy if you visit some of the military areas. 
Also, never wear bright colors (that will stick out), never lay in grass (it doesn't render at long distances), never be on top of a ridge (your silhouette is easy to spot), if inside a building than step back so your gun dont stick out of the window, always have a retreat route and reposition often or else they might pin you down, distance is your friend.

Summer camp locations locations: https://dayz.gamepedia.com/Camping_Areas

Castle locations: https://dayz.gamepedia.com/Castles

Edited by Christoffer.s
  • Like 1

I agree with what

1 hour ago, Christoffer.s said:

However, a true sniper shoots at the target's center of mass, the upper torso (rib cage area).  Doing damage to internal organs is just as effective as opening up the skull and gives you a larger target to aim for.

9 minutes ago, EzyStriderPS4 said:

I agree with what

However, a true sniper shoots at the target's center of mass, the upper torso (rib cage area).  Doing damage to internal organs is just as effective as opening up the skull and gives you a larger target to aim for.

However, this isnt real life and the vests in DayZ provides a lot of protection, he will most likely survive the shot and be a lot harder to kill if you dont take him out with the first one, therefore head.
Nothing you can do with shot 2,3,4 etcetera so by all means go for chest but there is no reason to hurry with the first shot. 

Edited by Christoffer.s

That's true of armored players wearing a vest, and especially the further out the bullet has to travel.  Upper-torso hits with high-caliber rounds such as .308 WIN or 7.62x54mmR will knock armored players unconscious more often than eliminate with extreme prejudice. The armor doesn't reduce shock damage as much as I thought (25% for Plate Carrier, and 50% for Police Vest according to the Wiki), but both will reduce damage taken by 50%. I've seen video of other players surviving a head shot from near point-blank range when wearing an assault helmet.  I forget what firearm was used, sorry.

18 hours ago, Christoffer.s said:

However, this isnt real life and the vests in DayZ provides a lot of protection, he will most likely survive the shot and be a lot harder to kill if you dont take him out with the first one, therefore head.
Nothing you can do with shot 2,3,4 etcetera so by all means go for chest but there is no reason to hurry with the first shot. 

Do you have any experience with the VSS and the newly-introduced 9x39mm AP rounds, Christoffer?  I'm not a KoS player, but I certainly won't hesitate if self-preservation has been seriously threatened by an aggressive or non-communicative survivor. I haven't been through a conflict with another player to test it's efficacy yet. I'm running around with the VSS and it's great for taking out infected without alerting more.  The internal suppressor excels at reducing dB from gunshots; it's quite impressive. IMO, better than suppressed pistols.