Sign in to follow this  
MaximusDickus

Sharing the same database

I want to have a joint hive(database) but its unclear how to do this properly with out using the same storage files as each server, which is where I have gotten with it, same character 2 different servers but with same persistence files...For it to be a true joint hive each server has its own storage(persistence) files and having the same character on each server. Pros.. same character on each server, cons... may end up on the coast for server hopping.

• Like 1

A database is simply a table with rows and columns used to store data that can handle requests for a certain row or column. There is two main database types which is MySQL and MS SQL. I’m not sure 100% exactly how dayz does it as I haven’t dove into the code, but would guess each player has a unique id in the table that stores inventory, health, and other variables.  When consoles share a database. When the structure of the database or connection parameters change, both sets of code must reflect the changes or one is broken 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Riffecreek001 said:

A database is simply a table with rows and columns used to store data that can handle requests for a certain row or column. There is two main database types which is MySQL and MS SQL. I’m not sure 100% exactly how dayz does it as I haven’t dove into the code, but would guess each player has a unique id in the table that stores inventory, health, and other variables.  When consoles share a database. When the structure of the database or connection parameters change, both sets of code must reflect the changes or one is broken 

So, let's say PSN goes down for a whole month tomorrow, would it effect other side someway other than 1.04 update would be postponed until the near future

If it’s psn. No.  If it’s the shared database. Both would be down. If a change to the database is uploaded. Both would be down until the code is updated to reflect the change 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ICEMAN-FMCS said:

I want to have a joint hive(database) but its unclear how to do this properly with out using the same storage files as each server, which is where I have gotten with it, same character 2 different servers but with same persistence files...For it to be a true joint hive each server has its own storage(persistence) files and having the same character on each server. Pros.. same character on each server, cons... may end up on the coast for server hopping.

It's definitely a good thing to put server hoppers on the coast

Can someone think of a reason why thy don't just go ahead with the update for Xbox and reset ps4 to clean up the no doubt out of control duping that is console dayz. 

Its still game preview so nobody should be upset about losing gear (should have happened already) and having clean servers to play until the update passes. If I had a choice of fresh gameplay and no update or nothing at all. I'd take a free reset to liven up gameplay a bit.

I do understand that some people play legit but its being reset soon, and would have already if all was good

6 minutes ago, Luigi Evahard said:

Can someone think of a reason why thy don't just go ahead with the update for Xbox and reset ps4 to clean up the no doubt out of control duping that is console dayz. 

Its still game preview so nobody should be upset about losing gear (should have happened already) and having clean servers to play until the update passes. If I had a choice of fresh gameplay and no update or nothing at all. I'd take a free reset to liven up gameplay a bit.

I do understand that some people play legit but its being reset soon, and would have already if all was good

Because both versions share the same database. If they update Xbox they have to update the database to 1.04 aswell and PS4 players won't be able to play because their game version won't match the database version.

28 minutes ago, stephen321 said:

Because both versions share the same database. If they update Xbox they have to update the database to 1.04 aswell and PS4 players won't be able to play because their game version won't match the database version.

But the old item ID's will be the same with this update, so it should work same as before for all current items. Unless I'm misunderstanding how complicated this is, it seems quite logical to me that it would work. 

It would just send your character data same as before, seeing as you can't acquire said new items the database can't instruct your game to load an item that isn't addes. Even if the database tried to spawn you with an item that wasn't in your game files, even then its still quite likely to work. 

Think adding or removing gun mods on fallout 4. say your character should spawn with x weapon but it can't be found, so you just spawn without it

Edited by Luigi Evahard
More info

The issue is not with items within the game its the database itself and the clients that connect to it.

1 hour ago, FJinn said:

The issue is not with items within the game its the database itself and the clients that connect to it.

Could you explain to me what you think the actual problem is? To me its a bullshit excuse so as to not anger a particular player base.

I just dont see it being an issue. For such a simple program. My understanding is it receives directions to player X's file, it follows them directions and sends the corresponding info back.

Client version shouldn't matter if it sends the exact same request to the database

Edited by Luigi Evahard

It's been explained above by Stephen32, he's correct.

"Because both versions share the same database. If they update Xbox they have to update the database to 1.04 aswell and PS4 players won't be able to play because their game version won't match the database version."

This means that if the database is updated to v1.04 then any client that wants to connect to that database must also run v1.04. After a database update, clients running v1.02 or any other version will not be able to connect to it.

If they pushed the 1.04 xbox client to us, and we connected to the 1.04 database, then all the PS4 players still on the 1.02 client would basically be bricked when they try to play their game as their client wouldn’t be able to connect to the new database that bohemia is hosting on their servers. Hence why both consoles clients must be pushed at the same time - the 1.02 database will no longer be existing online and you’ll be forced to download the new update once it’s available.

Theyre not going to host both the 1.04 and the 1.02 databases at the same time, nor any other previous databases. That’s why when updates come out, and you start up a game it shows “This game needs an update before launching” - the only way you would be able to even run an old client version of a game would be offline not connected to the internet, and since DayZ has no single player/campaign/story/offline mode, the game wouldn’t even be able to be played and would essentially be a brick. You get into the menus and that’s it.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 6:00 PM, FJinn said:

It's been explained above by Stephen32, he's correct.

"Because both versions share the same database. If they update Xbox they have to update the database to 1.04 aswell and PS4 players won't be able to play because their game version won't match the database version."

This means that if the database is updated to v1.04 then any client that wants to connect to that database must also run v1.04. After a database update, clients running v1.02 or any other version will not be able to connect to it.

A dev explained in another thread that it was a significant update to the database and that's why they have to wait. So unless they do any significant changes again they should be able to update either console when its ready, eg: the scope fix

My thinking is correct for normal updates, but this time it can't be done. I just couldn't find any explain why this time was different

No, you've misunderstood. The information posted above is correct.

Sign in to follow this