Asmondian

50 QoL improvements for 1.03

AcciKGj.png

The following is just a list of 50 QoL (Quality of Life) improvements or small suggestions for the game

that I think could provide an overall better experience for the next update besides new content...

Green  = Considered

THESE ARE MY 50 QOL SUGGESTIONS

1. Nerf the items Duct Tape can repair 

You shouldn't be able to repair clothing, weapons, hatchets, backpacks or building materials. This makes the weapon repair kit, sewing kits, the sharpening stone and many other items useless and the global experience quite easy.
  2. Containers like drybags, drysack, cooking pots, medic kits and tedy bears (not the ammo box or protector case) should suffer damage every time you dig them up

People are using those containers - specially drybags - to hide their gear a lot. I mean, a lot. Those are one of the main storages right now in most servers. This would affect server performance and also is affecting CLE, mostly for weapons. I would also recommend to resize drybags capacity to 10x6 instead of 9x7 to avoid you could use them to stash long rifles.
  3. Reduce the Handheld Transceiver ("Walkie") and Field Transceiver static sound by 50% [Added]

Loud static noise is mainly the cause that the small amount of players who use radios, do not using anymore. None can really be "idling" with the radios if you have that noise, making any posible contact even more unlikely.
  4. Resize the slots/size of tipods or make them able to carry in most backpacks

1x7 would be perfect. You can´t fit the tripos in most backpacks. Otherwise, no one really bothers in take them. It would be also great if you could carry them as a melee weapon in your back.
  5. Add the ability of turning on/off the headtorch without having to take it in your hands [Added]

I'm sure this isn't delivered and just a placeholder for now but, the same scroll system like with the car headlights or "washing hands" can be applied here if you have something in your hands.
  6. Reduce the Canned Food spawn rates in general and also the food drop rates of infecteds

In my experience - And I take the oportunity to say that all these suggestions are  based on vanilla oficial servers - there are too many Canned Foods around the map, so its not really a challenge to stay alive with those high rates. A good balance would generate forcing players to know / explore / benefit fom other sources like animals, mushrooms, fruits, horticulture...)
  7. Make cooking with a stick animation a "One click only" animation (Not holding RMB) and allow to maintain players position while changing the meat of the stick

Every time you change the steak from the long wooden stick, your character breaks the animation. This should definetly change IMO.
  8. When replacing an item from your hands to one in your inventory, the first one should never replace the slots of the second one unless there is no other place to go [Added]

Let the explain this with an example: Imagine you have a compass in your hands, an FNX at the bottom of your Tortilla Backpack and some random 1x2 free slots around other pieces of clothing (Vest, pants, shirt). If you take/replace the Compass (hands) for your FNX (Inventory, bottom of backpack) the game usually places the compass at the bottom of your backpack. Then, if you want to take out the compass again, you won´t be able to because there is not going to be room for the FNX.
  9. Add the name of the server you've played for the last time (Not only IP) next to the Play button in your main menu screen.

10. Allow to eject the inside mag from your gun (Not only replace it for a new one) by assigning a hotkey to it [Added]

If you assign a key to the mag inside your gun and then you hold it, that should eject and put the mag into your inventory. This would allow players to eject the inside mag, take it to their hands, load the mag with ammo, take the gun in their hands and then reload the full mag... all without opening the inventory screen.
  11. Add a negative water impact for dry foods such as cereals, rise and powdered milk.

This could be modify in the future if you can cook/mix them.
  12. Reduce the amount of pills per item for the tetracycline, charcoal tablets, codeine and chlorine tablets [Added]

I really think having more than 5-6 pills per item is way to much and prevent players to loot those items again in a play sesion (even for days).
  13. Tweaks to the fixing car system: You should be able to add vehicle parts to vehicles without any tool, but you should require the proper tool to remove them. Pliers (Sparkplug), Screwdriver, (Battery, Doors, Trunk), Tire Iron (Wheels), Wrench (Radiator).

The problem I see in general is a lack of balance between adding vehicle parts and removing them. Right now, none can really take advantage of other man’s work because someone would probably disassembled it before is fully done. Its become pretty discouraging and usually very few people even bothers in fixing a vehicle (Car bugs aside).
  14. Reduce the noise / smoke from the power generator by adding Engine oil and/or water.

15. Morphine should affects your wounded animation allowing you to move faster while its effect lasts [Added]

This could even work after broken bones feature is introduced.
  16. Reduce the amount of steaks obtained from animals by "Skin and Quarter" feature and asign a certain quantity to the different types of knives

The amount of meat is way to high right now IMO.
  17. Remove the blood bag and saline bag self-transfusion ability. You should always require another player to do it and they can get infected if they don´t have gloves

I think the self-transfusion kinda killed that necesary/forced interaction between players that was a really amazing element in previous builds of the game.
  18. Prevent players from jumping when they are [Health < 40] and [Stamina < 30%] [Added]

Those are just approximate values, but in general, the jumping animation when a players is badly wounded takes away a lot of the game seriousness and realism and it also is counterproductive to the same reasoning of why we tried to eliminate the zigzagging.
  19. Enable a "Hold" function for the default interact key "F" to take items from the world directly to your hands [Added]

20. Allow to have a separated key for "Walking" and "Holding breath" [Added]

21. Increase 50% the Construction Light illumination range.

22. Make the "blueprint/precise positioning/ghost system" for fences and tents even more flexible

Its quite frustrating not being able to place one fence (Specially the base) next to the other without leaving a gape because the system is too strict. I'm not asking for complete overlapping or a "build anywhere" style here, just a more flexible system. Similar case with tents. Its quite difficult to pitch them in forest, hidden spaces or not perfectly straight surfaces.
  23. Reduce Mushrooms general spawn rates and assigns some negative effects (Toxicity) to some of them when they are not cooked (Boil or Baked).

Same with the canned foods, I think resaurses in vanilla Dayz is way to high right now, making things extremely easy. About mushrooms, players should learn wich one is safe to eat raw and wich is not. This can compensate a little the huge amount of "free safe food" around the map that, as I said, doesn't really help to the survival element.
  24. About unconsciousness, it would be great to add another body position and also allow players to hear more (Though distorted) when they are unconscious.

25. Add the ability to check the map by holding "LMB" (Left mouse button) without the need to enter the full map interface (Click LMB)

26. Players should be able to extract blood from cadavers 

This is even possible and quite safe in real life and I think it would help to bring back some interest into the dayz medical system. Nowadays, very few players take any advantage from it mainly because of the very low effectiveness / regeneration capacity of the blood bags and saline bags and because there is no efective way to get blood.
  27. Increase the sound radio / power of Megaphones and change its size to 2x4

Magaphones have to be the portable equivalent of PA´s IMO, so they should be heard quite well within a medium sized city. Currently they are too big and too week to even bother to use them.
  28. Reduce/nerf the drying speed of items to force players to create a fire instead of simply wait 5 minutes while they keep running

29. Remove papers from the ammo boxes, nails and headlights until notes are added to the game

30. Tweak/fix the wooden planks, metal sheet, tires (And others) by removing the colission not necessarily with players, but to each other to avoid stacking and glitching inside bases [Added]

This would be considered as part of the fundamental basebuilding general balance changes.
  31. Reduce Chickens spawn rates by 50%

I'm sorry for being repetitive and insisting on how abundant the food is in this build, but there are too many chickens, and if you add the amount of canned food (Vanilla high pop, oficial) the hunger and survival aspect of Dayz becomes quite ineffective.
  32. Tweak / reduce the weapon colissions with walls (Even a little more)

Its still quite restrictive for many interiores, windows and speccialy stairs. There are some houses and places that you just can´t go upstairs with your gun up because you get the colission, resulting in very frustrating pvp experiences.
  33. Canteens should not always spawn with 100% Water [Added]

34. Increase the "Skin and quarter" animation time according to the animal and kind of knife you are using

It currently takes a few seconds to skin and quarter a full Cow. It should last at least 45 seconds of even a minute.
  35. Beartraps and locked doors should have their own persistent time when you use / place them, regardless of server restarts [Added]

There must be other deeper implications that I do not know so this is not possible so far, but I thought it necessary to mention it.
  36. Reduce the amount of rags obtained from clothes in general and add some toxicity value to damaged / badly damaged rags.

37. Allow to grab the full stack of planks / firewood (and other items with the same issue) when drag them to your hands in oposition of take them with "F"

What I mean is this: When you want to grab the stack of 6 firewoods from the ground, if you drag them from vicinity to your hands or inventory, you would only grab one by one. But if you press F, you would take the full stack for some reason. This should be unified. Same with other items and the impossibility of grabbing more than 10 wooden planks without having to combine them with a >10 stack.
  38. Make zombies aggro moving/live targets as a priority or not attacking uncon players at all

The game basically prevents you from enjoying / survive to the unconsciousness state and enjoy the subsequent recovery/stealth to escape situation by sealing your death if you went uncon with an infected around. This should change IMO.
  39. Allow players to Jog while they are handcuffed

Another element that makes interactions with tied-up players completely ineffective. The slowness of movement by limiting them to simply walking has been quite negative in this build in my opinion. Allow them to jog and make interactions more "accessible" because of this.
  40. Noticeably increased the smoke range/high when campfires are extinguished

Possible smoke signs and this could alert other players.
  41. Make the camara roll with the player when performing a side roll (Prone + Q-E)

42. Add the ability to move slower when you are crouch / prone and you hold the walk key. (Default CTRL)

43. Make handcuffs unbreakable by preventing players from getting rid of them by struggling

This could be also achieved by increasing the struggling time enough. It should always require keys, lockpicks or pliers.
  44. Enable precisely positioned for long torches (Standing)

45. Allow to add camo netting to barrels as an attachement

46. When you are about to perform a action to another players (Example: Bandage another player), there should be a external representation on your character, like slightly rising your hand [Fixed]

When playing without HUD, in the absence of some animation, we are often forced to enable it because there is no external representation of what we are going to do. Many players heal themselves or even tie themselves as a result of this.
  47. Add a soundeffect when changing the firemod and zeoring your weapon

As before, the idea is to avoid the need for a HUD to know what we are doing in-game)
  48. Military tents should be able to be carried on players back like in previous builds

I understand that there must be many performance-related reasons behind the very low rate of tents and the impossibility of even jogging when moving with them. But Dayz has lost a fundamental element: the in-land bases. The posibility of finding a tent in the middle of the forest was something that kept players alert and interested. But now, it has become something almost impossible to find due the difficulty of traveling with tents and their very low spawn rates.
  49. We should be able to build a third upper frame on fences (only after building the platform)

This could be a good way to avoid players jumping over the fences.
  50. The Field Transceiver should become persistent if you place it with the precise positioning system

Just like power generators, the Field Transceivers shoud have more than a 6 hours persistence when one uses precise positioning. This way, factions could have one in their bases. It would also be amazing if you could power them with an external source like a generator (And of course if they broadcast through every frequencies at the same time).

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME

Edited by Asmondian
  • Beans 2

Awesome, awesome list. I'd like to add the one thing I'd like to see from 1.03. You already touched on the food/water abundance in 1.02. HP/Blood regeneration needs a much more significant nerf (A third slower does not cut it and is barely noticeable.

More zombie spawns are always welcome (If server performance allows it). If there's no room for the performance hit, possibly just diversify the current zombie spawns? Particularly, lessening the amounts of infected in remote villages/small towns and increasing them in high traffic areas like Military camps (NWAF, Stary, Tisy, Zeleno) or the 3 major coastal cities (Cherno, Elektro, Berezino). I would not mind only seeing 1 or 2 zombies in a remote village or smallish town at all. For military areas, those are endgame areas and they should feel like it. The only threat right now are other players. Military Camps should still present some sort of threat even if there's no other player there. It'd bring a new dynamic to PvP there too. Imagine wounding a player and letting zombies finish the job. Or as a fresh spawn running into a mini horde of 18 zombies in one of the coastal cities with barely any tools to fight, struggling to find food and water (Another reason why resources need to be scarce). I think it could enhance the starting and the endgame experience. It would also make the game less predictable and routine. I'd like my loot runs to have some variance with the number of infected I come across.

I've looked into the zombie_territories.xml file on the worlds_ai_chernarus.pbo and the zombie spawns are mostly minimum=7, maximum 13 copied and pasted over and over for villages and small towns. I'd say you can do high variance spawn points for villages/small towns (min=1, max 13). That way every loot run feels different. For high traffic areas maybe use a higher minimum number, with a possibility of rolling a mini horde (min=8, max=20). The global count for zombies can stay the same. Just put more zombies in just the right spots and don't use the same values over and over again and this game will feel very different.

Edited by repzaj1234
  • Beans 1