Derleth

Restarts

Most community servers I've played on restart several times a day, sometimes as often as every two hours. I realise this is to improve server stability but since I brought my dedicated server online I'm starting to wonder what it is that actually causes server instability. My server is pure vanilla without any alterations whatsoever - including restart messages. So it is on around the clock without restarts, and so far it hasn't crashed a single time. The only times it has gone down is upon windows updates or when my kids have accidentally shut off the computer.

So, what is it that makes stability degenerate and require restarts? Just player numbers and activity? Base building? Mods? Logs? All of those things combined? For the time being I'm happy just letting this thing hum along without restarting, it is refreshing to return to a town several days after you were through last time and find doors still open on buildings you looted, locked doors still locked, tent openings as you left them and so on.

Edited by Derleth

I have a vanilla server too, 2 restart a day (it's the minimum forced by GSP, I can't remove them), and the server is very stable, no crash since mid-february, no persistence wipe either.

I have 3 larges bases (with 3 to 5 towers each and 1-2 dozens fences), and 6-7 working cars accross the map.

BUT, it's a very low pop server. I have a couple of regulars that login once or twice a week for 2H-3H sessions (I know some of them have a car and few tents), and mostly hoppers that just stay few minutes and leave.

As I experienced massive persistence issues/wipe on others vanilla (public hive, so no mods) servers before having my own, I suppose mods may have an impact on stability, but even without mods there can be issues so it's not the only reason.

So I guess players numbers, general activity and the number of bases objects on the server are the main reasons of instability

• Like 1

Thanks Matiman, figured as much. My server is obviously low pop as well and I'm happy to let it stay that way. Not passworded mind you - DayZ needs that risk that you might bump into somebody hostile - but I'm not actively trying to get people to play there. Just me and my brother goofing around letting him learn the mechanics without getting shot wherever he goes...

Its not so easy to find a sweetspot...here are many factors..mods...playstyle...loot...performace..zombies...restarts and crafting.

Max 85 players on my end...