repzaj1234

Zombie placement throughout the map are way too similar.

It always seems like every other small town/village has almost the same amount of infected. It's because majority of spawn points have exactly the same values (minimum of 7, maximum of 13 spawns). Look, I know it's all about server optimization when it comes to tweaking infected amounts. I'm just saying, seeing the same things over and over again gets pretty boring. Sometimes I wanna run into a heavily infested area y'know. Editing the zombie_territories.xml file and putting additional spawn points in the just the right places can alter the game heavily.

<zone name="InfectedCity" smin="0" smax="0" dmin="1" dmax="15" x="10486.1" z="2309.12" r="80"/>

A spawn point like this will spawn anywhere from 1 to 15 infected. These spawn points would be dynamic meaning the area won't always be crawling with infected. A player can come by one day and only roll 4 zeds, the next day 14 show up. The radius of where they spawn should also be smaller for higher density of infected. Placement of these zones is key. Obviously, you can't put too much of these with how servers are performing right now. Placing them in the high traffic areas of the three major coastal cities (Cherno, Elektro and Berezino) and high traffic military bases (NWAF, Tisy, Stary) would be a good idea to enhance the starting experience and the endgame.

I feel like all military areas should have these dynamic spawn points. Maybe not the same 1-15 infected values, a little lower than that. Military areas are part of the DayZ end-game. They should present some sort of challenge even if there are no players around. It might actually deter server hoppers as well if they hop into a military camp that's heavily infested.

I'm not asking to double or triple zombie counts,t his game can't support hordes at all or have high infected count due to server performance issues... but there are creative ways of making it seem so.
I've been doing some editing as far as the zombie_territories.xml file goes, here's my copy in case anyone is interested.

https://pastebin.com/4L5TpeUE

Edited by repzaj1234

I'm playing on a server with 3x the amount of zeds and it is having zero performance issues, so the zed-related performance problems a few patches back seem to be taken care of. And yes, larger towns and military zones are downright nasty. Once you ring the dinnerbell you better find an easily defended position and have lots of ammo...

May I ask whats the usual population of that server? The moment bases start piling up along with a full 60 person server is where servers start to shit the bed.