Sign in to follow this  
Nicklander

Raiding bases only when the owners are online

Good basebuilding mechanics are really hard to implement from a game design perspective. At it's current state, I'm afraid it's way to easy to get into a base and there is litterally no point at all in building it. There has been quite a lot of people who suggested to be only able to raid bases with super rare explosives. But that still doesn't fullfil my expectations to be honest. What I'm looking forward to, is real base fights, where people actually try to attack your base and you try to defend it. Now that sounds like fun. Unfortunately this does and will never ever happen. Whenever people will spot your base, they will just wait till you logout and then raid it. That easy and pointless...

I'd suggest introducing a mechanic that only allows bases being raided when the owners are also connected to the game. It adds much more immersion, since in a real life situation you'd also have to expect enemy contact when doing such a thing. Maybe hiding the whole base when the players are not online ? Kinda linking the base with your character, so that when no owners of the base are online, it will just disappear as well. Maybe there could be a delay of a few hours to prevent abuse and actually give enemy players a chance to find your base. I'm aware that it's difficult to implement those kind of ideas into a game. It would be truely revolutionary if they managed to realize something like that.

I know the base building system in Rust. Trust me, it's shit. I hope that DayZ does it differently.

Edited by Nicklander
typo

Don't like this idea, feels very gamey and detracts from immersion to have bases pop out of existence because somebody logs off. 

I mean, it doesn't take much more than a brick to break into your house and Rob you while you're at work. I don't see why there would be a problem with people breaking into your base while you're not

• Beans 1