Sign in to follow this  
schaine

Suggestion: Realism please!

Hello,

before I begin, I would like to make sound of my huge appreciation for the game. Thank you developers for taking the time to finally create a real Zombie Open World Survival game.

Now, that i get to the point real (realistic), I realize that things are not quite like I would imagine it.

First off, if a zombie apocalypse hit our world, I would at least save a water bottle and a small supply of food before I ran to the ocean (?) :)

So why do we start with nothing? Starting with one can of food and a water bottle only makes the start easier, in the end, once your food is used, you willl still need to loot.

Its simply realistic that you don't die of thirst in a rainy country!

But when I start a new game right now, I already panic if i don't find something to drink or eat. Please give us at least a water bottle or let us drink water directly from lakes and wells.

Btw. i like the fact that you don't have a weapon in the beginning.

Now new ideas i would love:

-Making chests like in minecraft (bad example maybe). Let us store our backpacks somewhere if we have two, so we can leave stuff behind without loosing it... maybe this is already possible, i just havnt discovered it yet. Of course dying would have to make those disappear so you really start at zero again and dont just kill yourself.

-give us a "FRIENDLY"-button. A simple sign would appear over your head so the person knows you wont shoot him directly. I simply HAVE to kill on sight because the risk of loosing everything while typing is ust too damn high! ;)

-give us a map in the beginning. Who doesnt have a map of his own country in his home when zombie apocalypse starts? Everyone is using browser-maps anyways, lets be honest.

-wouldnt it be cool to have a NPC town where you could get jobs or buy stuff? Im not sure yet if I like that idea, but it would be realistic enopugh. You hunt some animals or sell some food for other stuff. A simple trade market !without any currency!

That would be it. If we could start out more realistically with a water bottle and a small bit of food, could drink directly from sources, hide our valuable stuff somewhere, tell other players more quickly that we wont shoot at them, and if there was a way to create a trade market (black market style) in Chernarus.....

THis would be the best game ever made, by far!

Thank you

how is it realistic to have a sign above your head that declares your alignment?

How is it realistic to have NPC-maintained order not collapsing in a world where everything else has and where people are apparently the evilist breed of human imaginable (not only did they kill me next to my tent, they also took TRASH from my tent, and there was a lot of it. They mustve opened their inventory multiple times to make sure there are no more tin cans in there)

for character equipment Im kinda on your side, seeing as I would like to have RANDOM STARTING GEAR, but depending on the scenario its entirely realistic that those evil bandits who brought you to the island didnt properly equip you.

I feel you start on the beach with a hatchet/crowbar and possibly a empty water bottle and that's it.

You don't need to eat for a hour or two anyway so go explore a city and see what you can find.

Also spawning with food will bring back the spawning clans who designates one member to keep re-spawning till they can pick up 100+ cans of beans and soda.

why dont the clans do that with painkillers and bandages now? animals to kill arent really scarce

well the sign above the head is not directly realistic, but it has to be possible to shout out to someone that you are a peaceful player and to make sure he gets your message!

So you are telling me that black markets wouldnt be created in a apocalypse? I believe that this is pretty likely. People using the needs of humanity to get rich... sounds like a human being to me :D

well the sign above the head is not directly realistic' date=' but it has to be possible to shout out to someone that you are a peaceful player and to make sure he gets your message!

So you are telling me that black markets wouldnt be created in a apocalypse? I believe that this is pretty likely. People using the needs of humanity to get rich... sounds like a human being to me :D

[/quote']

1. Dude, it's called HAVING A MIC. People do it all the time. I see someone, and they aren't pointing a gun at me, I HOLD CAPS LOCK to engage my microphone, and DO EXACTLY AS YOU SAID. It's already in the game.

2. You can already stash your inventory in tents, and to a lesser extent vehicles.

3. I have one in my truck. But it's a local map of my tri-county area. And that's because I'm a freaking survivalist. I don't know anyone besides myself and my equally survivalist friends who can say, "Yes, I own a map of my entire country", and pull it out without searching for it.

4. There's no currency or bartering system as of yet, neither developer nor player created. How could there even be an organized market? I trade stuff occasionally, but that's when I bump into people. Besides, why should we need NPCs to babysit us and hold our hand? What is this, World of Warcraft? No. It's Day Z. We, as players in total, control the world. More or less.

Realism would be:

Having no equipment at spawn, not being able to shoot a gun properly, being unable to fix anything except a bicycle and requiring a can opener for all the beans.

Morphine wouldnt cure broken bones, transfused blood would have a chance of not working due to blood type, and painkillers would take time to work.

Items wouldnt respawn (ever!), guns would jam and degrade, raw meat would spoil, zeds would run indoors and we would be able to jump small fences and stairs without fear of breaking bones.

Actual realism in Day Z would suck. Anything else i missed?

The inability to log out;

the need to sleep, poop, piss, and tie one's shoelaces in a world where zombies can charge at any moment like a pack of bloodthirsty Barcelona bulls, and bandits more ruthless than the most soulless of Western desperadoes and Somalian pirates roam the cities and plains, searching for their next hopeless victim;

the tortuous feeling of exhaustion that comes with travelling cross-country while lugging around thirty to sixty pounds of dead weight; the anxiety and unimaginable stress of constantly living in a world of the aforementioned undead with the physical abilities of the average Olympic long-distance runner and the sociopathic snipers who blend in to their environment and shoot with not a second of warning;

the pain and suffering induced by all manner of injuries and ailments already in the game, from infection to hypothermia;

the discomfort and misery caused by remaining outside for long periods of time during a clouded, raining night, soaked to the bone and constantly on edge from the decreased visibility;

the knowledge that one probably isn't immune to whatever imperceptible virus or weapon generated the monstrosities all around you;

the inability to carry all but the smallest of vehicle parts back to the vehicle in question, and a very small practical understanding of what to do with them once you get them there;

and finally, the suicidal tendencies you're likely to develop in a hellish world where about the only thing you're ever holding is something that can end your existence painlessly and instantly.

I got your back, Groover.

Hmm,who here doesn't have a watch?This actually irks me when I wanna know the servers time.And don't get me started on all these websites that srpung up showing where all the good loot is and allowing you to not even need to find a map...shame on you. ;(

I don't even own a watch. Just sayin'.

Besides, don't complain about the lack of realism on certain things, and then ignore the elephants in the room.

The inability to log out;

the need to sleep' date=' poop, piss, and tie one's shoelaces in a world where zombies can charge at any moment like a pack of bloodthirsty Barcelona bulls, and bandits more ruthless than the most soulless of Western desperadoes and Somalian pirates roam the cities and plains, searching for their next hopeless victim;

the tortuous feeling of exhaustion that comes with travelling cross-country while lugging around thirty to sixty pounds of dead weight; the anxiety and unimaginable stress of constantly living in a world of the aforementioned undead with the physical abilities of the average Olympic long-distance runner and the sociopathic snipers who blend in to their environment and shoot with not a second of warning;

the pain and suffering induced by all manner of injuries and ailments already in the game, from infection to hypothermia;

the discomfort and misery caused by remaining outside for long periods of time during a clouded, raining night, soaked to the bone and constantly on edge from the decreased visibility;

the knowledge that one probably isn't immune to whatever imperceptible virus or weapon generated the monstrosities all around you;

the inability to carry all but the smallest of vehicle parts back to the vehicle in question, and a very small practical understanding of what to do with them once you get them there;

and finally, the suicidal tendencies you're likely to develop in a hellish world where about the only thing you're ever holding is something that can end your existence painlessly and instantly.

I got your back, Groover.

[/quote']

Never mind my back just shoot me now!

Dude.....get a watch and don't be that annoying guy who always asks other people for the time. :)

Dude.....get a watch and don't be that annoying guy who always asks other people for the time. :)

I have what I refer to as "my digital pocketwatch", my "pocketwatch with a phone app on it", or "my little digital omnitool".

Phone is too maintream, maaaaan.

Wouldn't it kinda be cool, actually, to have access to all sorts of apps like Compass, Map, Weather, Clock, etc. etc. for the first day, but then it dies because smartphone batteries have shorter lifespans than some varieties of skin cells, and the power grid is apparently out?

Would be very realistic but Rocket is after authentic and realistic is a pain to simulate.

Now that I think of it, I don't really think it would be all that difficult. There's already a slightly different version of most of the things i suggested, and I have a feeling one could code something that communicates with the server and determines what the upcoming weather will be.

You'd really only have to work on how to operate the phone itself, because battery usage doesn't seem like all that complex of a code.

But I'm not a coder, I actually have little to no understanding of the process itself.

Actually it might be kool. LOL Everyone has them nowadays.Would,as you point out work like a compass and a map and a clock etc.Batteries would be on your list of things to scavenge for.

Hello' date='

But when I start a new game right now, I already panic if i don't find something to drink or eat. Please give us at least a water bottle or let us drink water directly from lakes and wells.

[/quote']

The water bottles in this MOD are military issued. Not everybody would have one. There could be normal water bottles I guess? But I feel they should only refill partial amounts because the military canteens are always larger ans not too big, so you are not carrying 1 litre of water throughout exploration which is quite tiring.

I do agree that we should be able to drink directly water source tho.

Hmm' date='who here doesn't have a watch?This actually irks me when I wanna know the servers time.And don't get me started on all these websites that srpung up showing where all the good loot is and allowing you to not even need to find a map...shame on you. ;(

[/quote']

I don't have a watch.

We're living in a digital age now. Phones, PC's, Tv's, cooker's and microwaves all have clocks.

The water bottles in this MOD are military issued. Not everybody would have one. There could be normal water bottles I guess? But I feel they should only refill partial amounts because the military canteens are always larger ans not too big' date=' so you are not carrying 1 litre of water throughout exploration which is quite tiring.

I do agree that we should be able to drink directly water source tho.[/quote']

eh carrying 1l of water is tiring? i'm pretty unfit. but enjoy navigation events. and usually carry 3-4L for that event cos i'm unfit and use lots of water. (can't stand having dirty socks). i'm more fucked walking up a steep hill then carrying 4kg of water about for 9 hours. of course that 4l ends up being 500ml or less at the end of the day.

eh carrying 1l of water is tiring? i'm pretty unfit. but enjoy navigation events. and usually carry 3-4L for that event cos i'm unfit and use lots of water. (can't stand having dirty socks). i'm more fucked walking up a steep hill then carrying 4kg of water about for 9 hours. of course that 4l ends up being 500ml or less at the end of the day.

My mistake, I meant 2 Litres, Sorry.

But either way: Why do you think military canteens are not 2 litres? Military experts have studied the perfect amount of water you should carry to avoid fatigue.

Carrying too much water can lead to fatigue which causes dehydration, you must drink more water which requires energy to digest and then you'll need more food, rest and/or sleep. Take into account your inventory and you'll see what I'm getting at.

LOL AT REALISM. The original reason for not spawning with anything as they felt it was "hardcore"/immersive enough to spawn with a gun and ammo. In a zombie apocalypse people wouldn't just run off into the wilderness with torch and a bandage so they could be more :"hardcore".

I personally have a variety of melee weapons at home i would take as well as bandages, food, water and a scoped 22. rifle. At the very least i would take a bit of metal pipe or a wooden board first opportunity i got. Its what any semi-intelligent human being would do.

On the other hand most people have only one or two guns per family if in the country and generally would take them with them so max realism would probably make guns and ammo AMAZINGLY SCARCE, but would make food, water, melee weapons and medical supplies AMAZINGLY COMMON as almost every living person in the 2nd and first world countries owns theses. So more realism would make survival loot ie bandages really common, but people wouldn't kindly drop rifles and ammo on the floor.

So the issue is this where to draw the line, do we want realism of Fewer guns more food etc, but more intelligent post apocalypse survivors or more hardcore with much fewer new players joining the mod due to the difficulty of surviving up to 33 minutes?

ill just leave it there...