therealunhinged

Server running from Windows 7?

Before I try and most likely waste my time - I was wondering whether anyone has already successfully got a server running on a Windows 7 system?

I know the minimum specs are:

But I have a spare windows 7 machine that camt be upgraded just sitting here and thought I would use it if possible!

5 minutes ago, Aussie Cleetus said:

if it can't run windows 10, it's highly unlikely to perform well enough to host a server

maybe he means the GPU? - totally anything that can run win7 can run win10... 

ps : Win10 was designed to run on any trash at all, any time you see a device running win10 just tie a rock round it's neck and drown it, club it to death or shoot it.. Do the world a favor - hot damn, I can probably run win 10 on the controller in my washing machine BUT I got my PRIDE & I want to bring up my kids RIGHT.  Most USA aircraft carriers and nuke subs run on win10  that's why commanders and techs float around going nowhere kicking the hardware so often (they have a special klaxon for Reboot)  & the next USA moon landing will be totally Win 10.5 = embedded avionics, communications, tablet snapshots, ground control and live tweets. So I guess they'll find the Chinese living on the moon mining Uranium and having birthday parties when the USA gets there. They-all USA military folk should at LEAST have stuck with XP - I DUNG WARNT'D THEM -<< CHINA IS about + 250% LINUX ALL DOWN THE LINE >>.. and the shit is going to HIT the fan while it's pointing West. - had to get that off my chest. Good!

PlayOnLinux will get round to adding DayZ to their LONG list of games (development tools, and OTHER stuff)  now the DayZ server files are available. just a matter of time and interest.. 

Maybe threalunhinged should put Linux on his spare box and get used to finding his way around it -  see how it works (if he's not done that before). A thing like that could change his life.

10 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

maybe he means the GPU? - totally anything that can run win7 can run win10... 

ps : Win10 was designed to run on any trash at all, any time you see a device running win10 just tie a rock round it's neck and drown it, club it to death or shoot it.. Do the world a favor - hot damn, I can probably run win 10 on the controller in my washing machine BUT I got my PRIDE & I want to bring up my kids RIGHT.  Most USA aircraft carriers and nuke subs run on win10  that's why commanders and techs float around going nowhere kicking the hardware so often (they have a special klaxon for Reboot)  & the next USA moon landing will be totally Win 10.5 = embedded avionics, communications, tablet snapshots, ground control and live tweets. So I guess they'll find the Chinese living on the moon mining Uranium and having birthday parties when the USA gets there. They-all USA military folk should at LEAST have stuck with XP - I DUNG WARNT'D THEM -<< CHINA IS about + 250% LINUX ALL DOWN THE LINE >>.. and the shit is going to HIT the fan while it's pointing West. - had to get that off my chest. Good!

PlayOnLinux will get round to adding DayZ to their LONG list of games (development tools, and OTHER stuff)  now the DayZ server files are available. just a matter of time and interest.. 

Maybe threalunhinged should put Linux on his spare box and get used to finding his way around it -  see how it works (if he's not done that before). A thing like that could change his life.

Your not normal, but I like that.....

The Windows 7 machine can easily run a server but cant be upgraded to 10 as it isnt supported Lenovo M91p with i5 2400 at 3.1GHz 8gb of DDR3 and 250gb ssd.... but no support for windows 10 for 2nd gen intel cpu's from intel or Lenovo so no driver support!

When Linux support for server files is out that has the way I will go but until then I was just wondering.

i run one on windows 7 ultimate and it runs fine so the short answer is yes it will run on windows 7. my rig is a bit older and i refuse to switch to win 10 yet lol but it runs it just make sure it is a decent quad core and good amount of ram and you should be fine.

• Beans 2

2 hours ago, therealunhinged said:

Lenovo M91p with i5 2400 at 3.1GHz 8gb of DDR3 and 250gb ssd

Lenovo M91p with i5 2400 at 3.1GHz 8gb of DDR3 and 250gb ssd ?

like this ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-ThinkCentre-Professional-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B01E97J8OI

checking around the web I also see :

Lenovo ThinkCentre m910 i5 2400
CPU: i5-2400 2nd Gen
GPU: Integrated
RAM: 4GB
HDD: 500 GB

try:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006105/processors.html

Edited by pilgrim*
~

Core2Quad Q6600 OC 3.0GHz, RAM 8Gb, Windows 7 Pro SP1. Server and client at same time. Using for development. No problem.