Funkdoc

Multi-Map private server shards / Hive compatibility

hi there,

i was thinking around a while, how to expand the apocalyptic chernarus world to get more place to survive, loot, explore and build bases in the wilderness.

First thought was a bigger map but with it comes heavy problems (high object,player,AI..counts, floatingpoint problems,..).

Multi-Map Chernarus World:

So the thing i am imaging is to tile a "chernarus world" private hive system into various maps (community made or BI / DLC maps). These new Territories are accessible through porting areas (bordering corners and the N/E/S/W edges of the main chernarus+ map). Your character and ev your vehicle will be ported there, triggered by script, to a mirrored position on another map and is also only enterable from that porting areas. the other server (maybe same machine on another port) is running the different map but saves all things in the same hive and communicates with the other map servers in the private shard. In this way for ex. radio communication between the maps is also possible. the client load the mod (required maps) on startup, so dayz must not be restarted for loading it when hopping (a Dayz Launcher from BI for ex would do that) to a map.

Hive compatibility:

An also interesting feature of dayz is the Public Hive system. I love the possibility to join any server world wide with my gear if i want to. So for mods there should be also a mod-wide hive system, which allows players joining various or same maps within the same mod with their existing character.

Is there something planned in this direction @BI , making interfaces to game core functions, giving the community the ability to run such mod-hives and private server shards?

This was a fairly common feature of servers back in the mod days, it wasn't done in game though, although that is certainly possible.. you would need to play cutscenes while the backend disconnected the players and relogged them into the new server. The most logical way to do it would be at airports, and have the cutscene cleanly cut back and forth on take off and landing.

I discussed this idea back when I was working on a derivative mod and the official mod. It's totally possible. The problem is that you have to choose whether or not to lock switching maps to the transition points, or if people can just freely log in and out of different maps and log in/out at designated points on each map.

The big issue is getting the maps in, but I'm likely going to do that.

On 29.8.2018 at 3:33 AM, NonovUrbizniz (DayZ) said:

This was a fairly common feature of servers back in the mod days, it wasn't done in game though, although that is certainly possible.. you would need to play cutscenes while the backend disconnected the players and relogged them into the new server. The most logical way to do it would be at airports, and have the cutscene cleanly cut back and forth on take off and landing.

Yes it seems possible in dayz, aslong as BI dont cut the possibilities to do that. but there is also an existing example from Killzonekid for A3, so i think switching (reconnecting) to another server with a diff map should be a doable quest. anyway i think it should be done in the engine to preventing abuse... or by script as long as battleye allows it under certain conditions.

Porting/transition areas should be alongside the map border  but not directly on the border, preventing to abuse that places from spotters and snipers. i think its better to mirror your spawnposition to the other server, so if u leave chernarus+ anywhere on the westside, u will spawn mirrored on eastside at the other server. if the mapsize is bigger than chernarus then spwaning points should be spreaded.

another cool feature would be if vehicles /and passengers can be also ported... but this needs more attention.

planes and helis should also be possible by setting proper vehiclevelocity at spawntime and checks for possible disconnects/errors while hopping by affected players. spawning-in if every passenger is connected after a little idle time... otherwise the player who is affected by the abortion should spawn next time at position on groundlevel.  

cutscenes are nice but i m also satisfied with a loading progress bar.

On 29.8.2018 at 3:33 AM, NonovUrbizniz (DayZ) said:

The problem is that you have to choose whether or not to lock switching maps to the transition points, or if people can just freely log in and out of different maps and log in/out at designated points on each map.

if i m understanding you right... yes this has to be evaluated for MP purposes, but i think it should be locked. players can still rejoin whenever they want... the position for a normal join (existing character) should be the same as it is and was in dayz, the last known position of the player... so that switching is only allowed at designated area as written above.

Edited by Funkdoc

There was a mod for Arma 3 that was never finished.  STS (Server Transfer System) Used KK's original code as a base and included a smooth automatic transition between servers.  Had a problem blocking map dialogs and didn't get fixed, but it showed it was easily doable.  The idea when it was created was that it would use a central map as the entry server.  All other servers were locked for new players.  The biggest hassle was to align the exit location with the entry location of the adjacent terrain. 

On 5.9.2018 at 8:42 AM, BigBenREDUX said:

Had a problem blocking map dialogs and didn't get fixed, but it showed it was easily doable.

how was the other server map loaded by the client?

at startup like a regular mod ..or is there any chance to reload another map during execution in Arma3?

Map mods need to be loaded on game startup.  Using CUP terrains it would have been possible to use all their maps, each on it's own server.  Kegan would have to join in here and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all he used STS for was coordinating between servers, and force logout/login of players.  It was more complicated than that, but that's the gist of it.  Servers using this would have needed to set up a method for initiating transfer, saving location data, respawn, as well as giving access tokens for adjacent maps.  The non entry servers would require a key for entry, that gets provided to the player character on leaving entry server.  Death in non entry servers wiped key, and required players to start fresh in the entry server.  

• Beans 1

Just a note on the video posted by @BigBenREDUX

The way the transfer was done in ArmA 3 will most likely not be how it would be achieved in DayZ. I have a feeling the overall logic, however, will be quite similar. 

we will see what they are willing to provide with the new scripting language in dayz. i can imaging that there is some restriction for public servers, if this function will ever be a thing at BI.