Sign in to follow this  
Finch (DayZ)

Persistance and server switching with tents/vehicles.

So I'm all clear on the character persistance, but what about other items in the game.

1. If I place a tent and fill it with loot on one server, does it stay on that server even if I switch servers? How long do tents stay active after being placed.

2.Do vehicles also stay on the server where they were first repaired?

Vehicles and tents (including the stuff in the tent) always stay on the server, they only disappear if the server crashes AFAIK. And of course there's always the chance a player runs into them while you're offline.

Is the tent in that case bound to one specific server (e.g. Virginia 1) and won't be where it was placed on any other or where you referring to the centralised server that handles all character infos?

It's my understanding that tents and vehicles are specific to an individual game server. The master server will not transfer them with you if you change servers.

As Unkn0wn said, if the server you have a tent or vehicle on crashes or restarts, I think the items are gone. I am not positive though and haven't tried myself.

Hopefully as the mod continues to develop it can get worked out so you can setup a camp with a tent or car or helicopter and if you change servers they come with you. When you are offline they would remain on the last server you played on, and then the chance of other players finding and looting them remains.

Items in tents stay there even after the server restarts, tested it myself.

Does anyone know what the persistence of an item you drop on the ground, not in a tent or anything is? Will that stay in a server for long?

@Gutter:

Placed some Items hidden near the beach and went deer-hunting for about 5 minutes.

When I returned, the gear was already gone. So be careful placing gear on the ground and move away for a while...

Normal dropped items will disappear if there are no players in the vicinity after a few minutes. Items placed on another player's corpse stick around until server restart.