Lt. Devz

SKS Conversion Kit.

Many SKS models were able to receive a slight modification to either the gun or a separate 30 round magazine. This modification would allow a normaly internally chambered SKS, the possibility of receiving an external magazine. DayZ could easily allow a rare spawn of a "SKS Conversion Kit." This kit could be applied to an SKS to allow akm 30 round magazines to be used and added. Thus giving a SKS, more modification ability as well as making the SKS a more viable gun in close range situations. This suggestion is realistic for the model of the SKS in game, as the in-game model appears to be a similar to many models with existing conversions. The addition of this kit and and the 30 round mag would still make the SKS a semi auto rifle. Using an already implemented mag that uses the same ammunition would be beneficial versus adding a separate SKS magazine that would be near identical.

• Like 1

Actually, the SKS-to-AKM modification requires fairly severe modification to the mag well section of the receiver and stock, as well as a few new parts... There are detachable magazines for the SKS, but they have a big funny nose on the front and aren't too terribly common because of said nose; makes it harder to put the mag in a pouch or bandoleer and quick-draw it later... These are actually what you're seeing when you see "detachable" SKS mags; NOT AKM mags... That, or just extended fixed mags. I don't mean to be rude, but you're mistaken; this mod isn't actually too common in the real world...

As I recall, only the Chinese type D SKS was able to accept AKM mags from the factory (due to the receiver modification requirement, etc)... So it is indeed possible.... But as for a simple drop-in conversion kit, that simply doesn't exist... ;)

Further, the SKS isn't an assault rifle; it's just a simple old-world carbine from the very last of the old-world carbines (i.e. it's an old-world carbine with a semi-auto system).... In-game, the SKS isn't an assault rifle; it's a sniper rifle, to add a bit of variety from the Mosin... It doesn't need detachable mags, in-game or not...

Edited by t3h_kgb
  • Like 2