Sign in to follow this  
Judged_Guitly

Login Animation

How does everyone feel about the logout animation?  99% of the time I don't have any issue with it because I try to log out in a safe place but, there have been times when I thought it was safe and the next login I'm on the beach.  Maybe the animation didn't have anything to do with it or maybe it contributed to a stalkers/snipers final decision.  If you’re in a situation where you have to leave the game because of a “real world” issue, there's that small sense of worry when logging that someone might have spotted you because your character does this excessive amount of unnatural movement.  Would it be problematic just to go prone and stay that way or a maybe even a single kneel-til-gone?  The whole squat sit squat stand is a bit over telegraphed, which I understand can help deter combat logging, but when you think no one else is around it could be a waving flag saying "take me I'm helpless".  I just wanted to hear how others in the community felt about it and maybe some alternate ideas.

I think it's fine, and does it's job well. I almost never worry since I tend to hide in bushes or sheds when I need to quit.

Edited by DJ SGTHornet
  • Like 1

It is supposed to represent you being helpless.

The whole reason the "logout dance" was put in was to combat "combat logging". Before the animation was implemented, your character would just instantly disappear from the game world. You could pop in and out of servers in seconds, looting everything, or you could just vanish if you got into a losing firefight.

It was REALLY bad for a while. You couldn't shoot back at someone (who shot at you first, mind you), without them disappearing.

Find a safer spot to log out in.

Your character does this to communicate the fact that you've logged out. Just going prone does not communicate that, and would also facilitate combat logging. If you get shot at you could just go prone behind a low wall, and yo'd have a good chance of getting out alive since nobody is terribly likely to push you if they can't see you. If your character stands up and sits down and so on then it makes combat logging considerably more difficult.

Just hide in a tree. If you think you might be being followed then wait a minute before logging. If you have to, I don't know, answer the door or something then I guess do your best to hide and hope it'll turn out okay.

• Like 1

Yes, like I said in my post, I understand the combat logging issue, I just wondered if anyone else had other thoughts about it.

Topics seem to be coming at a crawl these days and I was hoping the help promote some conversation.

remember the scream in the DayZ mod when you were getting eaten by zombies?
i wish there would be some audio associated with logging out and ESPECIALLY logging in as well

logging in used to make a reload sound, i never got why they removed that
to be fair i haven't been ghosted that much, since i tend to play on private hives, but it's one of the things keeping me away from public servers