Sign in to follow this  
Parazight

The Queue

So, it has been announced that server queues are a work in progress.  This seems like an excellent opportunity to discuss how we might be able to use tool to fight new spawn suicides, maybe server hopping, and possibly more.

Could we use the queue to prevent server hopping?  I'm not sure at this point.  Maybe the technology will present an option down the road.  It obviously doesn't make sense to a server hopper to try and join full servers just to get loot.  So who knows.

Finding a way to kill yourself so that you can respawn in a different area on a full server is an art among some players.  It's a real method to achieve desired gameplay.  Heck, I did it on .60 experimental because I wanted to see what new Cherno looked like.  Putting aside gamer morality, it's the most logical decision to achieve the end result.  Could we use the queue to make it harder to do this?  What if every time you died, you were placed at the end of the queue?  Would this be a bad thing?

Server queues will be a thing.  Let's brainstorm ways to make DayZ even more awesome with this new, incoming tech.  What do you think?

I think personally that this would do more harm than good, but repetitive suicide does need to be punished. I was thinking if you suicide more than twice during a period of time, you're forced back to the same spawn that you got originally.

I think it's something I'd like to see trialled, maybe in experimental.

Another way could be to, perhaps, punish the player for suicide, or even death in general. In 7 Days to Die when you first log in you have 100 health. You can increase your health cap by eating, drinking, staying warm and so on. The higher your current health cap, the harder it is to increase it further. However, when you die your health cap is lowered by 10 for a bare minimum of 60. With the new player skills, maybe this is something that can be looked into. You spawn with a base skill level in all skills - let's call it 0. You can increase these skills by performing them (as is planned) but death will decrease these skills. If your skill level is higher than 0 (in anything), death will decrease your skill level to 0. If you have no skills above level 0, death will will decrease your skill level into the negatives, making all tasks more difficult to perform. While this could potentially punish players who are simply bad at the game, or who just have shitty luck, it would certainly deter players from killing themselves for a better spawn or from trying their luck at knocking out a geared player with their fists. Obviously, the lower your skill level, the easier it is to increase it - but players who let their level drop too low will be at a serious disadvantage, and will have to put a lot of work in to get back up to 0. There could maybe be a buffer, maybe allow for one death at the base skill level before it drops into the negatives.

Edited by BeefBacon