Keshik

Second Account Help Please!

I'm at a road block here and some help from people that are currently running more than one character would be much appreciated.

I've done my searching and research and am trying to set up a second account. I have two CD Keys bought through Steam. I'm using the registry method to swap between them and use the same install directory.

Now, here is what I have purchased and installed and at what points I exported the registry:

My main steam account has Arma II, OA, PMC, BAF. I purchased only combined operations for the second account (Base + OA).

I uninstalled everything, logged onto the second steam account and reinstalled only arma II + OA. I then exported the registry entry.

I uninstalled everything again, logged into the first steam account and installed arma II, OA, PMC, BAF. I then exported the registry entry.

The first steam account (the one with the additional expansions) has a longer registry entry with references to said expansions. This works fine. Those expansions are encrypted (i think?) to that CD key. This is fine with me.

The second steam account (CD Key) has a much shorter registry entry with NO references to PMC or BAF. This would be correct seeing as how I didn't purchase the expansions again (or install them during the arma install for this CD key to get them encrypted)

The first steam account works great. I can swap the registry entry back and forth and am always able to play using this CD key.

When I load up the second account's key registry entry (again, with no references to PMC or BAF), I'm getting PMC errors. My assumption is because the second CD key which is not associated with these expansions is attempting to load them. The research I've done on this subject supports this.

Errors:

On game start:

Failed to load file...\air_pmc.pbo - decryption of headers failed

game continues to load

On load:

No Entry

bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/Soldier_Crew_PMC.scope

On server connect:

You cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.cacharacters_pmc

These just seem like the typical errors of the CD key attempting to load the expansions but being unable to.

Now here is the real question I suppose: Why is key#2 attempting to load these even though there are no references to the expansions in the registry entry? I'm fine with not having them load and not getting the high res textures. I just can't figure out how to do so.

Like I said, I'm fine not having the expansions load on the second key but I also read something about being able to do so by loading the expansions as a mod w/ their own @directory. I tried this method (instructions weren't very thorough) but since the information was already encrypted it wasn't functioning.

At this point it seems like I'll have to reinstall again and just not install PMC and BAF to get this to work. I think that might work as neither CD key will be attempting to load them. However since I've paid for those expansions, I'd like to at least use it on one of them.

I went longer than expected and if the information I provided or my questions aren't clear, I'll be happy to clear them up.

Thank-you

I see you online LVG! Any ideas at all?

Since I didn't read the sticky earlier, here goes:

*Which version of the game did you purchase? STEAM or RETAIL or MIXED:

2x Steam

*Are you running an Arma 2 OA beta patch? If so what version?:

*Which method are you using to launch the game? I.E Sixupdater/steam/batch file:

Both steam and sixupdater

*What is the Error/Problem you're having? Please provide screenshots if possible:

See above

*Your PC specs:

i7 920 @ 4.4, 12GB, GTX480 @ 950

old but still works great

*Your Operating System:

Win7

*Have you looked at these threads?:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=18588

yes

So I reinstalled without installing PMC and BAF. I thought uninstalling the game would remove any reference to these expansions. For some reason the game is still trying to load modules from them. Anyone know where these references would be located so I can remove them? I didn't see any in the same registry directory that holds the CD keys...

Thanks.

Update: after 20 minutes of searching through the registry for links to PMC or BAF I decided to just rename the BAF and PMC folders. The game is no longer attempting to load the modules. I didn't realize the game pulled everything from it's folder and assumed it would need some kind of registry entry to load them.

I am able to swap between characters by swapping CD keys in the registry. It's working great.

However, I am no longer able to load PMC and BAF at all or I'll run into issues with that second account/key.

Anyone know a way around this? I've purchased one copy of each and would like to load it on at least one of my OA cd keys.

Bump. I'm having the same problem. Its really annoying :dodgy:

Any insight would help!

Might have solved this with a retarded temporary fix. When this happens I just delete the air_pmc.pbo file (don't worry, every time you boot the game it will force you to download a fresh air_pmc file). Switch CD keys via logging in the other steam account and activating the key by booting up ARMA OA once. Then I added this to the launch options in steam for ARMA OA." -beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -mod=@Dayz -nosplash" (without quotes and note the space at the beginning. Now replace the Arma2OA.exe in the main folder (for me its E:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead) with the Arma2OA.exe in this folder E:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\Expansion\beta (again this is my file directory, yours will probably be in the C drive) MAKE SURE YOU DONT DELETE THE ORIGINAL ARMA2OA.EXE FILE, rename it to something like Arma2OABACKUP.exe BEFORE you replace it. Just remember to delete the air_pmc.pbo file every time you switch CD keys. I did all this and it miraculously has been working like a charm ever since. Good luck and I hope this all makes sense.

Currently have the same problem.. I thought it was because I only bought combined operations for the second account so I bought the 2 expansions again but I still seem to have this issue...

Same Problem here.

I saved the Registry-Part with my main oa-key. I create a second Steam-Account and only buy the standalone addon OA. After i logged in to that new account, it founds the installation from my main account, so i could see my new Serial by rightclick on OA. With the tool "arma2oa_keychanger" i changed the key, and also saved the Reg-Part with it, so i have 2 regfiles with my different keys.

But if i change to key Nr. 2, i get some errors because of some DLC-Files ("Failed to load file...\air_pmc.pbo - decryption of headers failed" and so on, like in the first posting). I tried everthing i could in the last hours, deleting the DLC-Part from the regfile, left everything how it was and only change the key and so on, but with Key Nr.2 i always get these damit errors. How is see, ppl who tried it with a second CO and also second DLCs also get the Problem, i think the reason i only buy the OA-Addon is not the Problem.

It was great if i can get this working without a complete reinstall and without having a second installation on my harddisk. My main-install works fine, only with the second key - who always brings the DLC-Errors - it will not work.

btw: Sry for my bad english. ^^

Greets from germany.

PS: In my main Steam-Account i have ARMA II + OA + BAF + PMC, on the second Steam-Account i only have OA. All i want is playing with my main account with 2 different DayZ-Chars, if possible changing only by click on the different Reg-Files.

Edited by INU.ID

Same problem, plus a cannot switch back to the old key because when double clicking on the reg file i get the message that other programms have access to the reg entries. But neither steam or arma are running, not even in the background

Can we please find an answer to this? I've been searching everywhere :(

It's not perfect but I've found a way that's relatively stress free, put an @ in front of the folders for each DLC, then create two shortcuts, the launch options for mine are as follows:

Normal Arma 2 - "-beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -nosplash -mod=@ACR;@PMC;@BAF"

DayZ - "-beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -nosplash -mod=@dayz"

As long as you've switched back to your "original" CD key prior to launching the game the DLCs should work and you'll be able to swap CD keys for DayZ at will.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Overweightninja
  • Like 1

Same error have to reinstall the DLC's everytime swapping cd keys.... there must be a way around it!

There was a dev from BI Dwarden helping as this was an actual issue when PMC first released so i suspect a fix must be possible without such a huge faff!

So another pleading post can some one see if they can figure this out and i will continue to see if i find an easier way!

Hi All,

Hope this helps. Basically the way I've got my two characters setup is one boxed copy installed on my PC, and another copy on Steam. One registry entry has BAF & PMC associated with it the other doesn't.

I can only play BAF and PMC with the original registry entry loaded. If I've loaded my second character I have to go back and install the original registry entry. So long as you're using "RegEdit.exe" you shouldn't be having any problems.

Edit:

As long as you've switched back to your "original" CD key prior to launching the game the DLCs should work and you'll be able to swap CD keys for DayZ at will.

Hope that helps.

Pretty much what this guy said ^

Edited by andrewbrownster

The problem i had was when loading the keys after saving the respective registry files and loading themi always get the failed to load headers problem.

Ive actually found a work around for people if you guys are interested abnd it allows the DLC to work with both your CD keys.

1) swap keys in the registry (plenty of guides on this)

2) open your steam account that has the DLC on it

3) Right click BAF>Properties>Local files tab and hit "Verify Integrity of game Cache"

4) repeat 3 for PMC

5) launch arma Beta or launch through 6 launcher/ day z commander (just dont launch through steam)

This should work and allow the dlc to work for both keys and stop those damned errors!

*edit* you do need to verify cache each time you swap keys but it takes maybe 10 seconds per game it will also look like its uninstalling dont worry just click yes to confirm

Edited by Evertos

I've just written a short script to take care of this.

Basically the problem is because your current Arma 2 OA CD-key is written into the header files of the DLC. Thus when you switch to your second character, it fails. I've written a simple batch script that swaps out your registry keys and your BAF/PMC files with the correct ones.

To use requires some set up: have your first character in the registry and BAF/PMC installed for him. Rename the BAF and PMC folders to BAF_alt and PMC_alt, and export the "Arma 2 OA" subkey of the registry to "BIS.reg" in your Arma 2 OA install directory (the same one the DLCs are in). Now simply add your second character's key to the registry, as you would normally, and install BAF and PMC again.

All you have to do now is edit the .bat (right click > edit) and type in your install path in the appropriately marked place (it's commented with lots of caps!). You should also always open up a bat to look through it before ever running one on your system in case someone sneaks anything into it.

edit: on the line above that I have written "G:". The G should be changed to whichever drive letter your game is installed on (if in doubt, it's C).

Now that this is done, all it takes is a quick double click to switch between characters, as it was before.

download: http://www.mediafire...0nt46idwxf8cksf

code (if you want to view it first): http://pastebin.com/3qEzcDKM

The first part checks you're running as admin (registry keys cannot be swapped in otherwise).

The second part checks DayZ or Arma aren't running (folders cannot be swapped otherwise).

The third part swaps the folders over.

It's pretty nice, but still a work in progress. I need to find out how to return an install path from the registry to use in a command, as currently the batch file requires editing for use, which is never good.

Edited by (UoM)JakeB

me too I have this problem :o

I have 2 copy of arma2/OA

my account original is bandit guy, new one is hero ;)

but since I add hero #2 account I never get bandit #1 account to play  :(

both have separate steam account and I pay for both, how I select which one is start  :huh:

me too I have this problem :o

I have 2 copy of arma2/OA

my account original is bandit guy, new one is hero ;)

but since I add hero #2 account I never get bandit #1 account to play  :(

both have separate steam account and I pay for both, how I select which one is start  :huh:

The topic was made last year, silly, with the last reply being in September. Please do not resurrect old topics.