floomoo

Watch out for this stream sniper and confessed hacker...

Hey survivors!

Doing a stream on twitch today with quite frankly no-one watching, until someone did start watching and thought it would be great fun to stream snipe me.

He also admitted to hacking in my stream chat. Here's a couple of screenshots on the chat from my tablet that I use while streaming.

12909467_10206033606307449_2169919262625

12909614_10206033606267448_2797172505008

I spoke with him afterwards through the stream while he typed replies. My main question was "What's the point in stream sniping? I don't get it." His reply, "because it's funny".

I'm not asking for any official action to be taken, as far as I'm aware stream sniping is not bannable and I also have no in-game information or in-game proof on his hacking apart from his word here in the twitch chat. Just want him to be known.

So if you stream, keep an eye out for twitch username "Lionsssss". He's bad news. And I've learnt my lesson to have a different in-game name to my twitch username from now on. Never thought it would be an issue seeing as I stream very little and I'm a nobody.

Take care out there!

floomoo

I've entertained, for a while now, the notion that most KoS bandits are actually just assholes. It's a difficult notion to prove or disprove, as asking them directly isn't always a reliable source of information. On top of that, there are a lot of legitimate reasons to kill everyone you see immediately - after all, one you've lost your gear to KoS bandits enough (and been shot in the back by supposed friendlies), you start to adapt to your environment, and you learn that assuming the worst of everyone you meet is generally the safest policy. You can only live with psychopaths so long before you start adopting their traits as a sort of survival mechanism.

Stream sniping is a bit of a different angle on the same thing: clearly, they only play to kill you, but the voyeuristic aspect of it is a bit important, I think; with a normal DayZ kill, the whole thing is done once their body hits the ground. You check them for anything useful, of course, and you can mostly assume they're running their freshspawned ass right back to where they died in the vain hope of fulfilling some kind of revenge/dominance fetish. With stream sniping, they get to live a more substantial power fantasy: they've not only killed you, taken your stuff, ruined your fun, but now they get to bring down a room's worth of viewers. Most importantly, they get to observe first-hand whatever frustration and anger they cause. I can sort of imagine two streamers (or just a friend who knows the streamer) playing out a bit of a prank war via stream sniping, but that's about the only scenario I can picture in which the stream sniper is not actively practising sadism.

All I have left to say is thank goodness these people have the internet and video games to work their problems out on, because I don't think they could handle real life without those outlets, and our prison systems are already overtaxed.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Funkmaster Rick said:

I've entertained, for a while now, the notion that most KoS bandits are actually just assholes. It's a difficult notion to prove or disprove, as asking them directly isn't always a reliable source of information. On top of that, there are a lot of legitimate reasons to kill everyone you see immediately - after all, one you've lost your gear to KoS bandits enough (and been shot in the back by supposed friendlies), you start to adapt to your environment, and you learn that assuming the worst of everyone you meet is generally the safest policy. You can only live with psychopaths so long before you start adopting their traits as a sort of survival mechanism.

Stream sniping is a bit of a different angle on the same thing: clearly, they only play to kill you, but the voyeuristic aspect of it is a bit important, I think; with a normal DayZ kill, the whole thing is done once their body hits the ground. You check them for anything useful, of course, and you can mostly assume they're running their freshspawned ass right back to where they died in the vain hope of fulfilling some kind of revenge/dominance fetish. With stream sniping, they get to live a more substantial power fantasy: they've not only killed you, taken your stuff, ruined your fun, but now they get to bring down a room's worth of viewers. Most importantly, they get to observe first-hand whatever frustration and anger they cause. I can sort of imagine two streamers (or just a friend who knows the streamer) playing out a bit of a prank war via stream sniping, but that's about the only scenario I can picture in which the stream sniper is not actively practising sadism.

All I have left to say is thank goodness these people have the internet and video games to work their problems out on, because I don't think they could handle real life without those outlets, and our prison systems are already overtaxed.

That is one thing I can't really understand about KOS. While I can certainly understand the feeling of ...... "satisfaction" one gets when successfully engaging and surviving a worthy foe, I just don't understand the sheer levels of schadenfreude people get from meaninglessly killing other players.

When I fight other players in Day Z (which I haven't played in months, for reference), I am usually fighting other players "on my level": equipped in much the same fashion, skilled, working in teams, etc. A large portion of the "enjoyment" of this is the challenge: I met someone on equal footing, and came out on top. I don't really get much enjoyment from sitting in a coastal city, sniping freshspawns. There isn't that much challenge in it, and I don't find it very fun.

Meh. "Different strokes for different folks", I guess. Still don't agree with most forms of KOS, though.

I got stream-sniped the other day and I wasn't even streaming. Those basterds!