PinkTaco24

Unless we get flags/effects for murder, this game will just be Deathmatch.

This is only because the vast vast majority of deaths are voluntary. People committing suicide over and over again so they can get a better spawn.

Those deaths are not counted among the stats.

Can we please make a sticky thread at the top of the forums that says "Respawn suicides are not included in stats"?

Because I have to post this 32 times a day, every day.

The stats script on the main page is filtering out deaths within a timeframe that I consider respawns indeed.

the best thing of this mod is the fear when you cross a corner and find another survivor, someone sayis is tough when you can recognise an enemy but this is the difference..if you play whatever fps game you are supposed to kill someone with a different suit or color or flag..here you have a choise: kill, be killed, none dies, maybe you can be aggressed and react faster and win, maybe you will be lucky, or not. i refuse to shot on sight, i 've played a lot of chars and i got killed by other player not so much more than by infected or thirst. in addiction to that i've met a lot of casual players who just wanted to do their business. i don't get used to my stuff and do my best. sometimes you are silly and get sniped or you trust the wrong person, sometimes you could have talked to the scared survivor who opened fire and instead you return fire, sometimes you talk to a cold blood killer..just like in a social apocalypse. i think this is one of the best mechanics possible. they need only to give us some bigger objective, so we'll take out killers for boredom

~2 million survival attempts in 4 days?

Something seems a bit off about that number.

You don't want to know how many people die over 30 times a day (and that number raises quickly when you have over 100.000 people playing every 24 hours).

120.000 people per 24 hours, 4 days, 2 million lifes ---> 2.000.000 / 120.000 / 4 = < 5 deaths per day per active player.

Are there servers where the killing of "fellow" players is more limited then?

Perhaps there could be servers where the rules were a bit tweaked and more harsh consequences existed?

It seems that there are people wanting to play both sides of this system so it would be nice if you could pick and choose. At least it´s a thought.

Are there servers where the killing of "fellow" players is more limited then?

Perhaps there could be servers where the rules were a bit tweaked and more harsh consequences existed?

It seems that there are people wanting to play both sides of this system so it would be nice if you could pick and choose. At least it´s a thought.

You want harsher consequences?

FUCKING MAKE THEM.

There are already anti-bandit groups, there's a subreddit where you can attempt to contract bandits to kill anyone, stop whining on the forums that the game isn't being played for you and do something about it.

• Like 1

You don't want to know how many people die over 30 times a day (and that number raises quickly when you have over 100.000 people playing every 24 hours).

120.000 people per 24 hours, 4 days, 2 million lifes ---> 2.000.000 / 120.000 / 4 = < 5 deaths per day per active player.

I started playing rather recklessly with new characters and I'm averaging about 2-3 a day, with one that lasted a few days before entering a glitched server that made me create a new character.

I'm certainly curious about people who manage to die 30 times a day, how they have that much time on their hands and the persistance not to adapt. Perhaps these are the dreaded ax bandits people keep talking about.

FUCKING MAKE THEM.

There are already anti-bandit groups, there's a subreddit where you can attempt to contract bandits to kill anyone, stop whining on the forums that the game isn't being played for you and do something about it.

I am new here. I asked a question because i did not know the answer and i am not whining...so i don´t see the need for aggravated yelling in red.

Thank you though for the info.

In regards to detering or punishing banditry,

"Punishing bandit play is not within the scope of the game, if we do that, we DESTROY everything. If we compromise on that, the project loses it's core." - Rocket

It's astonishing how few there are that understand the concept of survival.

It means you don't die.

There's no excuse, not starvation, not zeds, not bandits, not SoS'ers that your life ended. It's your job to survive it all.

That's the "game" kids.

Spawn, grab your kit as quick as possible and go find somewhere to continue living. Find people on the forums to group with if you want (and think you can trust them), or buy arma2 for your friends.

The people shooting you are doing this.

There are even friendlies that will find you and fix your booboos.

You make this game what it is. :D

"Punishing bandit play is not within the scope of the game, if we do that, we DESTROY everything. If we compromise on that, the project loses it's core." - Rocket

Ok i am not entirely up to speed on how advanced it is to host a server that would run DayZ...but would it not be nice to be able to offer another sort of server to the other side of the community?

A server with a penalty system / consequence system so every action has more meaning?

Hackers and exploiters are being dealt with right? At some point the actions you get banned for was decided to be just that...a bannable offence.

Perhaps it´s to early to entirely scratch the possibility that something will be done against the situation with murdering and such. It´s still early and it is in Alpha.

Penalizing players is against the DayZ hosting rules unless it's for hacking or abusive language.

FUCKING MAKE THEM.

This. People who whine about the PvP system most likely come from non-sandbox games. They don't understand the concept of a sandbox game. They are used to game mechanics enforcing playstyles.

You can change the rules of the game, or at least your own server, by organizing yourselves, doing this thing the anti-PvP like to talk so much about, GROUPING. Oh wait, there isn't a button to join a group, with flashing lights telling you that guy over there is your buddy? Back to basics for fucks sake, recruit on forums, get your friends, clan members, family in on your project of making the Jolly Good Whitehat Clan on US-EU-DE-BRA #67493 or wherever the fuck.

I realize some of you don't have friends or clans or don't even want to bother finding one since there actually isn't a major clan recruiting for every little server or you haven't found some stable servers to call your home yet. Well. It is alpha after all. We are in a chaotic stage of the game, and it can't cater to everyone. Later on, with more clan oriented content, more stable servers, etc, there will be no excuses left for not joining an appropriate clan for your playstyle.

What you don't need to do however is whine over a feature which Rocket has made quite clear isn't going anywhere, that being the PvP system.

Adapt to the game or quit. There is no reason for the game to adapt to you.

That could be said of literally any game or anything and that's a good sign it's an absurd thing to say. Why add any new features or bug fixes ever at all? Why even have created the game in the first place?

Of course there's a reason to adapt to him. Because he finds it more fun that's always the reason to make any changes in a game (or should be).

Edited by trashcanman

Part of me would like some game mechanic to make it easier to distinguish who is friendly and who is not. I know right now we get the heartbeat sound effect when we target a player who has murdered other players, and that is something. I just think we need to be very careful about changing this aspect of the game.

The real world we live in cannot be used as a basis for this game. Dayz is a zombie apocalypse. No police, no army or laws left. Just people with guns and needs. I certainly don't think we should be punished for murdering each other, but marked certainly.

It might be cool to have some kind of perk system implemented.

For example if you take to killing players, zombies are more responsive to your presence and your "loot luck" goes down since you're rarely looting towns anyway, just stealing from other players and avoiding high traffic areas. If you take to being friendly, moral, and just, then zombies are less responsive and your "loot luck" goes up.

This might be difficult to implement and there might be some holes with that kind of system, but I think it might be one possible solution to dealing with the insane amounts of PK going on right now.

No. You have not understood the game if you want this. Stop trying to take an amazing freeform thing and make it boring.

Here's an idea, make it possible to have pve servers with bandit AIs

No. No. You have not understood the game if you want this. Stop trying to take an amazing freeform thing and make it boring.

Ok i am not entirely up to speed on how advanced it is to host a server that would run DayZ...but would it not be nice to be able to offer another sort of server to the other side of the community?

A server with a penalty system / consequence system so every action has more meaning?

Perhaps it´s to early to entirely scratch the possibility that something will be done against the situation with murdering and such. It´s still early and it is in Alpha.

No. No. No. You have not understood the game if you want this. Stop trying to take an amazing freeform thing and make it boring.

Don't you people get it? The distrust and the potential for anyone to do anything to you is PRECISELY the point. If you don't like how easily you die, be more cautious. Be more paranoid. This isn't quake, you need to treat your life like it was real and protect it. The murdering isn't 'a situation', it's part of the game. If you want allies, try to make allies. If you want people to not shoot you, show that you trust them and you're not a threat. If you're sick of people murdering, band together with other people and work together to hunt the bandits. If enough people hated murders, servers would be full of people banding together, but they're not. Every interaction is tense and scary, and it's brilliant.

Edited by chhopsky

This community understands and accepts this, for the most part. Log on and shoot people yeehaw!

• Like 2

How do you flag a bandit? What governs the rules of who is a bandit and who is a survivor killing in self defence? You can die or get knocked out in one shot, do you wait for them to shoot you first even if they've came up to you and refuse to talk?

What about people who exploit the system? Bandits who grief a player into shooting them or whatnot?

And when you're a bandit, what's the big penalty about being one other than a skin? Do you broadcast they're a bandit? Put a big sign over their head saying they are?

In real life, a murderer could be sitting next to you on the bus and you would never know it. Why sully the game with unrealistic garbage?

Sure, give bandits the option of looking like one or some such, just for bragging rights or whatever. Give survivors something neat as well (visually though a survivor is just perfect bait for a bandit if they know they wont' shoot first right?)

Go watch the Walking Dead, the part in the last season where the main cast Sherif Rick shoots two people dead even though they only moved funny, their gun was on the table. Is he a bandit now?

It's far too grey area to make such a theme. Claiming this game is Quake 3 arena or CoD due to people killing each other is just downright ignorant. If a survivor looked at me and had his gun out and refused to speak I would fire first.

And thats fine.

As long as he understands the game simply becomes a death match.

And thats fine.

The game's not a deathmatch for me, or the people I play with. We kill when we have to, when we feel threatened or when we don't trust someone. This is what I see for the vast majority of players too.

So I suppose the real question is, what is it about your play style that makes people shoot you?

I know personally, I like to make a point of punishing bad side-channel behaviour by tracking and scaring them. I've been helped by strangers more times than I've been murdered. If you're getting constantly killed by people against your will, then you are simply not being careful enough. I've only ever been killed by one person I wasn't actively doing something stupid in front of, and he had a ghillie suit, in the dark, at night, and I was going for a pig that he wanted. If you want friends, sneak up on people and call out to them from a safe place, let them know you're friendly. I see people teaming up all the time.

Take some responsibility - what are you doing wrong?

And thats fine.

This is your master plan?

Make the exact same post that you made yesterday, that was responded to and completely refuted by myself and a developer on the project?

Don't even bother to change the words around that much?

Just to bump this thread that was on its way to dying again?

Please let it go, man. It's over. Your argument is not getting stronger through repetition and bumping this thread every day with some empty 7-word shitpost is not helping advance the discussion.

The game is not a deathmatch. It's just not. Say it as many times as you want it doesn't become more true. You can write a song about it if you want. Print it on a fucking t-shirt. It was wrong a week ago, it's wrong today, and I promise you it will be wrong this time tomorrow when you show up for your daily dose of bumping this thread with the same hogwash talking points.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

Wow, that is a lame solution.

The answer lies not with letting you know who not to trust (flagging bandits), but with adding incentives not to kill

and reasons to team up.