Sign in to follow this  
raigprime

Hearth and Home

I'm curious about players' thoughts on a mechanic that further influences health/blood regen and recovery from illness (e.g. cholera) and injury (broken limbs).

For context, I was watching Ngotie's stream the other day and, afflicted with cholera, he and his squad were playing as usual until the cholera ran it's course which, of course, took a very long time.

What I'm suggesting is an authentic mechanism for speeding up the process of getting healthy with a trade-off of being stationary (a definite risk in DayZ).

My proposition is:

Reduced movement: Sitting/standing/walking - quicker regen

Source of warmth: Proximal to a fire/fireplace - quicker regen

Protection from elements: Within a shelter - quicker regen

So to regen/recover more quickly, a character must still be hydrated and energized but will benefit from limiting their movement and finding a comfortable place to hold up. A combination of all three aspects (relaxing, warmth, shelter) would result in the quickest recuperation. Otherwise, the regen/recovery processes would occur as already implemented.

This mechanic could provide some practical motivation (aside from role play) for players to find a place to hold up and secure for a short period of time. Perhaps a squad, licking it's wounds, might weigh the risks of staying in a shleter for a few minutes to recover more quickly vs. choosing to stay on the move between engagements but risk being unhealthy for longer.

• Like 5

I agree completely. This is the kind of mechanic DayZ needs for any sort of survival or base building mechanics to actually matter. Let's say your squad just raided NWAF, no casualties but a few of you are badly wounded. If you have an actual base you can head back there and sort out your loot. The wounded squad members rest and recouperate while the others farm, go fishing, make rabbit snares, whatever. That's the time when people would actually use these survival mechanics, with the current nature of DayZ it is always better to keep moving than to stay in one place to farm or fish. If we have an actual reason to stay in an area then these will see a lot more use.

• Like 1

Good idea, man.