evulclown@gmail.com

Tents NEED to change.

I would not store my most valuable overflow stuff in a tent in real life and go walking off. I would however sleep in that damn tent or use it for shelter from the rain... The concept of having a risky place to save some extra gear in case you die is great, but it's current implementation could do with a rethink.

So how to hide a risky item cache then?

Pirates had the right idea -- We should be able to bury things. We have entrenchment tools in game... Could also add shovels as another alternative which spawn more often in industrial areas. This coupled with some tarp so the items do not get water logged and you could bury your goods.

Once you've used up your tarp and buried it with x amount of items then it will leave a subtle but spot able slight soil mound that grass can clip through. Anyone else with a shovel can "dig up" your mound take w/e items and bury your tarp again if they so wish.

So Shovel + Tarp = dig able mound hiding items

Now what about tents?

...Perhaps use them like you'd actually use a tent? Make them take up 2 slots instead of 3 and have them spawn a little more often now in areas.

Now you can use them for 2 purposes. Once you've erected your tent you have an option to "enter" the tent or "dissemble the tent" -- This warms you up and shelters you from the rain. 2 people should be able to enter a tent.

The person who put the tent up should then have the option to "exit the tent" or "go to sleep". If he exits the tent he can either re-enter it or dissemble it obviously. If he chooses to "sleep" then his character logs out along with his tent. He reappears inside the tent in the same spot he logged out when he gets back online. While he's offline the tent can slowly heal up blood (very slowly).

If anyone is inside the tent when he logs out or dissembles then that person is simply dumped in the same spot laying down.

Would this not be a much more logical use for a tent? And a much more logical way of HIDING items? :(

• Like 7

Tents disappearing when sleeping in it doesnt work as someone else may have a tent in exact same spot so would cause problems.

Sleep overtime could be a way of recovering from illness and blood loss.

I actually think that in an apocalyptic world where most of the population has died out, a tent is a great way to store goods while on the move. In real life, at a camp site, you generally leave quite a lot of things in your tent while you are away from it, and if your tent was in the middle of nowhere then there shouldn't be any worry of things getting stolen.

I do like the idea of sleeping them temporarily to recover from illness.

They also need a little fix so you know how much space is left in the tent.

tents as storage is a good way to store stuff, sleeping should require you to logg off for two hours or more to recover some blood imo

but i really like that idea of hiding stuff underground, just be sure to know where your stash is, or else you have a problem

also, maximum of one stash per character so the master server wont get KIA

I agree with everything you said OP EXCEPT for the tent replenishing blood.

There needs to be a benefit to looting and then logging off in a tent. Whether it is a minute trickle of blood (500 - 1k a day) or a reduction in hunger / thirst or a potential healing of illness.

I like the idea of the underground stashes. You would need to be careful as to how many items you allow to be stored in these stashes though. It should be less than a tent but more than a backpack, maybe 40 slots total?

Certainly could, I don't know the tents current max capacity. but it should be enough to carry a few main weapons. Perhaps more in line with 60 slots?

It would also reduce the "tent proliferation". Rocket seemed to want to reduce the amount of tents everywhere, well this hides everything. People wouldn't need to go hide their crap off the map because you could actually hide things a lot better.

It was said earlier that you'd store things in tents in RL while walking off, but that is a temporary save -- You're considering that you'd go back to that tent in RL because you need to sleep in it. You'd be storing heavier things from your backpack there while going for a hike. You would not be "hiding" things there while you went off to do your thing, which is what the current mechanic of a tent is.

I would like to see a type of Sleepyness/Tiredness system in the game. Cause along the lines of realism almost everyone gets tired eventually and needs to rest.

It could be something like the longer your character is alive the more tired he/she gets if they dont rest. Then make it to where your character gets a little bit blurry vision and dizzy movements (Kinda like a drunk person) every now and again if they get to tired.

The ways to rest your character would be to either pitch a tent and sleep in it, find random bed in buildings and try sleeping in them, or (if the devs add it) find a sleeping bag that someone could just roll out and rest in. Something like that kinda

• Like 1

I would like to see a type of Sleepyness/Tiredness system in the game. Cause along the lines of realism almost everyone gets tired eventually and needs to rest.

It could be something like the longer your character is alive the more tired he/she gets if they dont rest. Then make it to where your character gets a little bit blurry vision and dizzy movements (Kinda like a drunk person) every now and again if they get to tired.

The ways to rest your character would be to either pitch a tent and sleep in it' date=' find random bed in buildings and try sleeping in them, or (if the devs add it) find a sleeping bag that someone could just roll out and rest in. Something like that kinda

[/quote']

No offence but that would get pretty annoying to be honest. Realism has to come in line with gameplay too. I don't want to have my character need to squat in the forest to empty his innards or else he'll get some sort of bowel issue. It's an interesting idea though...

Considering any vehicles / tents being laid outside the map boundry are now being deleted -- I would say it's pretty vital to rethink the whole tent storage thing. It's a temporary risky storage for "extra stuff", but you'd be a moron to "hide" your things in plain view with so many people online... People could still hunt down subtle soil mounds next to bushes etc but it would not be as stupidly obvious as a tent you can see miles off.

I like this idea. Approved.

The sleeping in tents could be a little brokeback mountain though

I think tents need abit more work before we start using them for other things. You simply cant trust a tent, least it nom on your gear.

I think tents need abit more work before we start using them for other things. You simply cant trust a tent, least it nom on your gear.

They are shifty... It wouldn't be being used for storage anymore so that's a bit moot.

I like your ideas OP, adding to the sleeping in tents part. I would like to see an alternative tent that is bigger (similar to the medical tents) that takes up 6 slots and requires at least another person to pitch (the more people that help, the faster pitching it'd be). Then add in some kind of sleeping bag. just an idea...

In the two months i've been playing DayZ, I have not been able to place one single tent! I'd like to be able to do that before I start thinking about being able to sleep in them/take shelter from rain.

i think the shovel and the tarp shouldent be necacery though maybe you could just dig it with your hands and bury it by itself or in i dunno a plastic bag but if you dig it with your hands it takes maybe 20 seconds compared to 5 seconds to dig the hole and if you bury it without anything to cover it there is a chance the item will be destroyed