Shewie94

Crossbow as secondary weapon

Hey dear DayZ Players. I would like to share my idea of making the crossbow a secondary weapon. I think no one would use the crossbow in the primary weapon slot because of it's short range. I would say the crossbow would be more of a use in the secondary slot, and even more people would appreciate it.

I don't know if it's possible to make a quiver in DayZ, but this would be my second suggestion. You can have up to 10 bolts in your quiver, and the quiver is held in the tool belt or the secondary inventory (Pistol ammo and bandages). As long as you do not have a quiver, the bolts will be held in the secondary inventory. Furthermore the quiver should be relatively rare. It should be found in farms, barns and houses.

In my opinion the crossbow is one of the best weapons you can have to avoid zombies and silently kill them, but it's not really good against enemy players, so the idea of making it a secondary weapon is really comprehensible. Imagine you're in an situation where you know that enemy players are near you, and you got stuck in a house surrounded by zombies. So what's left? You kill the zombies silently with your crossbow, instead of firing your primary weapon which appears to be very loud, whilst drawing the attention of the enemy players.

I think there should be two different Crossbows. The one that you can actualy use now with the bad iron sight, and a second one with an Red dot sight on it (or at least something comparable). The first one has a common rarity, and the second one can be only found in Barracks and at Heli crashes.

This mod is designed to survive the Zombie Apocalypse, and making the crossbow a secondary weapon will increase the feeling of being in a real "game based" apocalypse survival. Furthermore it has definitely more style shooting a crossbow, whilst being silent, than shooting an Enfield and inviting a quarter of the zombies on the server to eat you.

I thank you all for reading my suggestion and I hope you enjoy my idea and/or give some more suggestion to improve the crossbow.

Hey dear DayZ Players. I would like to share my idea of making the crossbow a secondary weapon. I think no one would use the crossbow in the primary weapon slot because of it's short range. I would say the crossbow would be more of a use in the secondary slot' date=' and even more people would appreciate it.[/quote']

That's part of the idea. You get a fantastic silent-kill weapon with re-useable ammo at the cost of something more high-powered. If you want a secondary to silent kill, track down the silenced M9.

Hey dear DayZ Players. I would like to share my idea of making the crossbow a secondary weapon. I think no one would use the crossbow in the primary weapon slot because of it's short range. I would say the crossbow would be more of a use in the secondary slot' date=' and even more people would appreciate it.[/quote']

That's part of the idea. You get a fantastic silent-kill weapon with re-useable ammo at the cost of something more high-powered. If you want a secondary to silent kill, track down the silenced M9.

I can understand what you're up to. But to be honest, the crossbow is the weapon that no one ever uses. Most players avoid to use crossbows because of its slow rate of fire and not stackable ammo. If that's the part of the idea, why is this weapon still in the game when no one uses it? That's why I wrote this thread. The crossbow definitely needs some improvements in some way.

Thanks for your opinion :)

At least the crossbow should one hit zombies + players and the bolts should be stackable.

It does one-hit zombies' date=' even if you hit the arm or leg. Problem a lot of people have is that they go for headshots because they think anything else won't do the job, but you want to aim for center mass with the crossbow because A) There's no targeting iron-sight, and B) it's a one-hit kill no matter where you hit, so aim for the easiest target.

Hey dear DayZ Players. I would like to share my idea of making the crossbow a secondary weapon. I think no one would use the crossbow in the primary weapon slot because of it's short range. I would say the crossbow would be more of a use in the secondary slot' date=' and even more people would appreciate it.[/quote']It does one-hit zombies, even if you hit the arm or leg. Problem a lot of people have is that they go for headshots because they think anything else won't do the job, but you want to aim for center mass with the crossbow because A) There's no targeting iron-sight, and B) it's a one-hit kill no matter where you hit, so aim for the easiest target.

I can understand what you're up to. But to be honest, the crossbow is the weapon that no one ever uses. Most players avoid to use crossbows because of its slow rate of fire and not stackable ammo. If that's the part of the idea, why is this weapon still in the game when no one uses it? That's why I wrote this thread. The crossbow definitely needs some improvements in some way.

So who exactly is "most people" and "no one"? Because I've talked to plenty of people who specifically prefer the crossbow for just the reasons I mentioned.

At least the crossbow should one hit zombies + players and the bolts should be stackable.

It does one-hit zombies' date=' even if you hit the arm or leg. Problem a lot of people have is that they go for headshots because they think anything else won't do the job, but you want to aim for center mass with the crossbow because A) There's no targeting iron-sight, and B) it's a one-hit kill no matter where you hit, so aim for the easiest target.

Hey dear DayZ Players. I would like to share my idea of making the crossbow a secondary weapon. I think no one would use the crossbow in the primary weapon slot because of it's short range. I would say the crossbow would be more of a use in the secondary slot' date=' and even more people would appreciate it.[/quote']It does one-hit zombies, even if you hit the arm or leg. Problem a lot of people have is that they go for headshots because they think anything else won't do the job, but you want to aim for center mass with the crossbow because A) There's no targeting iron-sight, and B) it's a one-hit kill no matter where you hit, so aim for the easiest target.

So who exactly is "most people" and "no one"? Because I've talked to plenty of people who specifically prefer the crossbow for just the reasons I mentioned.

Sorry if I'm not right, but as long as I play I have never seen a player playing a crossbow yet. That's just my experience that I've made. Actualy I didn't know that the crossbow "always" one hits, or does that change at longer ranges?

Sorry if I'm not right' date=' but as long as I play I have never seen a player playing a crossbow yet. That's just my experience that I've made. Actualy I didn't know that the crossbow "always" one hits, or does that change at longer ranges?

[/quote']

I've hit a zombie from across a parking lot (which is really all the further you'd need to hit them), and it was still a one-shot. As for players, it won't one-shot someone at full blood, but it does leave a nasty bleed from what I've been told. Never used it in PvP though, so I can't say first-hand.

What the crossbow needs is a sight.

Even if it's just a simple set of ghost ring iron sights, something to indicate where it's pointing would make it 100 times more usable than it is currently. I play on veteran servers a lot of the time, so crosshairs are out of the equation.

Most hunting crossbows (which is what this is) come with some sort of optical sight. Even if it's just a straight up no magnification lens, anything is better than what it has now.

What the crossbow needs is a sight.

Even if it's just a simple set of ghost ring iron sights' date=' [i']something to indicate where it's pointing would make it 100 times more usable than it is currently. I play on veteran servers a lot of the time, so crosshairs are out of the equation.

Most hunting crossbows (which is what this is) come with some sort of optical sight. Even if it's just a straight up no magnification lens, anything is better than what it has now.

I totaly agree. It's pretty difficult to hit someone at 50 meters range, because you can't really aim with it.

I agree, the crossbow needs stackable ammo, its mad having single bolts.

Having some sort of sight as well it needs, atm you pretty much have to aim at a targets knees to hit center mass, i know.. i ran the crossbow for a while specifically because of being silent. But the pain in having to retrieve the bolts is a massive pain when in a group, and they're hard to spot/pickup.

I adore the crossbow, but when you have the option of a scoped L85/Thermal i would go loud any day. the idea of a quiver sounds good, this game needs to make use of stacking item badly.

I agree' date=' the crossbow needs stackable ammo, its mad having single bolts.

[/quote']

I dunno, when you have retrievable ammo, you usually don't need more than a few bolts; which is about as many stacks of ammo that you'll usually have on you anyway.

As for the scope, I don't disagree. Maybe implement a second crossbow that's a little more rare. So there'd be the relatively easy to find crossbow that we already have, and then the rarer scoped crossbow that would be the enviable find.

I personally hate the M9SD even as a silent weapon.

I've shot players with the crossobw before - one DCd so I'm not sure where I hit him, the other hit in the shoulder and didn't kill him.

I think the crossbow needs zero modification from its current functionality.

I agree I don't mind the single bolt but I would like them to allow us crossbow users to loot our bolts from the zombies inventory when we loot it instead of searching for the bolt on the corpse sticking out of the corpse. The sites do suck on it I just use the crosshairs on screen ATM works at well for me. Down the road I'd like to have more silent weapons such as throwing knives u can have bow as primary and throwing knives or hatchet as secondary and u can loot corpse to grab weapon and reuse as many times as you can.

I still like the quiver idea as well. Depending on the type of quiver also determines how many bolts could be hold. I have a real quiver that holds 25 and I also have a quiver that is on my crossbow that holds 10 in total. Makes the crossbow a bit bulky but its worth it. This could be a reason to have ammo IN the bow just like a gun does. You could just say the ammo is quivered on the bow and the action of cocking the bow and placing the bolt is the time between shots. Still...arrows need to stack a little bit at least.

I love the crossbow and use it whenever I can. I would like it to be a secondary weapon but only for the reason of me liking it.

Some sort of iron sights would be nice, I'm faily sure I haven't seen a compound crossbow that would not have them (and I used to do archery [though with compound bow and not crossbow] pretty seriously at one point in my life)

Anyway, the "on back" idea (I guess it comes from OFP originally) that ACE implements would be pretty good solution in switching between crossbow and some other primary (I also hate leaving my AK on the ground when I have some axe-murdering to do [though I guess putting down zombies does not really count as such but it sound better :)])

Thanks for all your opinions and additional ideas. But when I think about it, the idea of making the crossbow a secondary weapon is a bit excessive. Leaving it on the primary slot is ok, but it needs improvements. I'm certain that this game (and mod) will make it to one of the best coop games ever, when it reaches the final version. Currently we're in Alpha phase, but I guess they will improve the crossbow someday. We just need to wait and it will come :). I'm really excited when that day will come.

Thank you again for all your opinions, and please continue posting :)

take washable marker, put dot on screen after zeroing it from a decent distance, shoot spot twice, you now have a sighted crossbow.