Sign in to follow this  
mauzz

Is dayz worth it?

Hey guys,

I came across the dayz mod and it just looks great and really promising but since i don't have Arma I was wondering if it's worth it to buy the game just to play dayz?

Please share your thoughts on this :)

I did,three of my friends did, and about ten more are planning on doing so. This mod is absolutely amazing and I've been coaxing everyone I meet with it, sadly a lot of people are waiting for Steam sales and I can only assume you may do so after I said it.

TL;DR Yeah the game rocks get Arma 2 now, or wait for steam sales and get it then.

If a 225km2 persistent world deathmatch with zombies sounds like something up your alley, then yes go for it. Arma2 is my favorite game, so I'd say even if you don't like Dayz, you might like the vanilla game, and some of the other mods. Cheers.

My personal opinion: YES! This is one of the best game's I've played in years.

...but, it depends what kind of games you like. Do you like role-playing (the concept, not the RPG genre of video games)? Have you played a perma-death game before? Or a mil-sim? Or a survival game? Did you enjoy them?

Are you patient? If the 10-second spawn timer in COD makes you agitated, then you will not enjoy this. You can often go for 20 minutes without anything happening at all, except holding down your 'W' key.

Have you played games with steep learning-curves before? Where you die 20 times on the first level, but persist anyway until you figure it out?

Do you have friends you could play with? The game is a lot easier and more rewarding (IMHO) when you've got people to team up with. I already owned Arma2:CO before DayZ came out, but since then, I've bought 2 more copies to give to my brother and a friend, because this is a game you've got to experience if you consider yourself an old-school PC gamer.

Also, N.B. this is an alpha version of the game. It's very buggy, and it's entierly likely that after playing a character for 10 hours, they will be killed by a bug. If you get too attached to your virtual collectables (e.g. you unleash a nerd-rage and smash your monitor when you lose your save-games to a hard-drive failure), then you're going to end up being butthurt by this game. It's a very brutal, unforgiving game.

There's lots of people on here who don't like it, or even complain that it's unplayable (lol), so it's obviously not everyone's cup of tea... But for me, it's fantastic.

P.S. When you buy Arma2:CO, you're actually getting the full Arma2 original game (with single/coop campaign) and the Arma2:AO game (with it's campaign), which is great value for $30 if you like mil-sim games. There's also lots of other mods/missions/addons besides DayZ.

If you're buying it just to play DayZ, then you're also getting these two other great games for free ;)

Hey guys' date='

I came across the dayz mod and it just looks great and really promising but since i don't have Arma I was wondering if it's worth it to buy the game just to play dayz?

[/quote']

Not right now. Pretty much unplayable in its current state. You'll be lucky to survive 2 hours in the middle of nowhere just due to bugs in the game killing you within 30m-2hr every time.

Ya if you got some friends who already have it sure. But keep in mind its still in alpha development. Also Arma 3 is in alpha development and I don't know if DayZ will be moved to Arma 3 with support dropped on 2.

well for the money, its worth it as you get two games, its just that one of them is in alpha stage.

day z is a great game but very buggy at the moment, its primary problem are the zombies themselves as they move thru walls and can detect you from the next valley over.

all in all however, theres no zombie game out there quite like it. you're basically dropped into a hopeless situation with no quests, no weapons and surrounded by zombies and player-bandits. the game is designed to frustrate you but the more players there are, the better it will be for rocket and co. to fully develop everything.

go for it.

Yes but side effects may include:

- lack of sleep

- divorce

- lack of interest in other games

- lose touch with reality (yes, when you drive on the motorway and look at the barns you'll be looking for Zeds)

DayZ is very worth it if you don't mind dealing with the beta process. For example servers going down, the bugs mentioned above and the random ddos(not really part of the beta process heh).

The game has been fun whether a zombie eats you or if a random player kills you. One of the best parts in the game is the starting process finding loot and food. At least to me. I haven't been afraid for a characters life in a long time.

Hey guys' date='

[/quote']

Not right now. Pretty much unplayable in its current state. You'll be lucky to survive 2 hours in the middle of nowhere just due to bugs in the game killing you within 30m-2hr every time.

What the crap are you talking about?!I have a character who is 5 days old already,and some of my friends have a week + characters.The game is playable.

I'll tell you why you may or may not like Arma 2: Combined Operations and DayZ.

-Very patient, time consuming game

-Realistic, really sucks you into the game

-You die, you lose everything and start over, expect to die a lot at the start

-It is not fast-paced like Call of Duty

-Huge persistent world.

-Pretty cheap for what it is

-DayZ is constantly updated, almost daily, sometimes even twice per day.

-Very fun to play with friends.

think call of duty on a huge map with zombies sometimes.

You can safely ignore anything and everything this numbnuts says about it.

Thanks for all the great and fast feedback!

It certainly sound interesting and what i've seen so far in movies it looks great.

But what exactly happens when you die?

I know you lose all the stuff you had in your backpack, but what is when you are playing with a bunch of people or friends and one of you die?

do you spawn in the beginning and you have to find your way back to your friend or do you spawn near them?

because it would suck if you roamed around with your friends for a while and then you die and you have to pretty much start over all on your own.

Hey guys' date='

[/quote']

Just ignore "most" posts like this unless you are given straight information as to what his problem is, (Mostly its just idiocy)

Even tho the game has some bugs that are damn annoying - most if not all of them do not make the game "Unplayable" like this bigot suggests.

If anything the game is fair easy at the moment and most likely the only problem(s) you will have is

A: Finding a vehicle

B: Other players

-- Reply to last question.

Yes when you die, you re-spawn along the coast at a random location, with the starting items (Painkillers, Bandage & Flashlight)

But your friends may pickup your stuff and save them for you if they have room or they can just make room - and if they have a vehicle they can just drive down n pick you up. if your alone you can run back to your body if you know where you was and pick it all back up unless of course someone else steals it (or at the moment if you leave the server your body will disappear)

But what exactly happens when you die?

I know you lose all the stuff you had in your backpack' date=' but what is when you are playing with a bunch of people or friends and one of you die?

do you spawn in the beginning and you have to find your way back to your friend or do you spawn near them?

because it would suck if you roamed around with your friends for a while and then you die and you have to pretty much start over all on your own.

[/quote']When you die, you get a "YOU ARE DEAD" screen, and that character's story is over forever -- time to start a new story.

If this happens when playing with friends, you'll probably respawn a few times until you start at the closest spawn to your friends, then head back to where you died.

If your friends guard your corpse, then you can get all of your old gear back. Otherwise, a bandit might take your gear.

If you're good at navigation, you'll be back with your friends in 5-30 minutes, depending on how far inland you are. If you're bad at navigating, you might get lost and take an hour to meet your friends -- the map is about 15km * 15km, but you always spawn on the south or east coast. If you and your friends move to the north-west corner of the map, you'll have a lot further to run back to your corpse than if you die closer to the coastline.

think call of duty on a huge map with zombies sometimes.

Hey guys' date='

[/quote']

I haven't died in about 10 or so days, that's playing on a medium pop server, 2-5 hours a day, and being a player who never shoots first. Perhaps your experiences aren't the same as everyone else's?

Cheers guys for all the feedback, I admit I wasn't quite sure wheter to buy the game or not but since i read around the forums I harldy read anything negative about the game/mod so I bought it :)

So who knows maybe our paths will cross in game!