andrewjs

ACRE Support

Extra binds' date=' extra bandwidth on the client end, most TS servers would either be hosted on the same server as the game (increasing bandwidth) or those that are not are then subject to ok, the game is up but the TS host is down or vice versa. Switch game servers now you are switching TS servers too... And it simply fractures the player base one step more.

I like ACRE in the more vanilla ARMA servers but on this mod it seems as if it would just complicate things further for very little benefit. Besides it's a moot question right now anyway as the devs have clearly stated they are not interested in incorporating extra addons, at this point anyway.

[/quote']

You have 1 extra bind at most. ACRE uses Teamspeak's PTT key for local chat and one other key for a radio. You don't need radio switching keys unless we are going to have LR radios, which I highly doubt.

The bandwidth addition is hardly noticeable. I believe you overestimate.

Server's bandwidth not an issue. Again, you overestimate. Any server hosted at a professional datacenter would have plentiful resources to run both.

The benefit of using ACRE would be HUGE for gameplay. In a real zombie survival, you are not a God who can talk to whoever they want no matter where you are.

And please do show where the Development staff has stated where they are not considering any extra addons at all. I just saw a post where quite the opposite was happening.

The only issue I can forsee is how the Teamspeak server(s) would be hosted or setup. The most ideal solution would be a 500 slot server for all DayZ servers, but that is not considering latency issues, etc. However, I do not forsee this "fracturing" of the playerbase that is spoken of.

Fighter

The bandwidth addition is hardly noticeable. I believe you overestimate.

Server's bandwidth not an issue. Again' date=' you overestimate. Even a modest server can easily run both.

[/quote']

It's worth pointing out that the bandwidth issue actually tends to be less. Arma2's VON system doesn't seem to be very efficient (as can be noticed when players stutter repeatedly in DC, even players I'm in TeamSpeak with at the time). Running one extra program server-side would probably actually take overhead off to server program and ensure that the only packets that the Arma2 server is actually dealing with are packets relevant to gameplay, not VON/VOIP.

Its okay with the realism thing.

But one thing that is the worst thing in gaming, is running in nowhere without anybody to talk to. Its one of the things many, me included cant stand in games.

I Wonder if anyone Thought about Adding ACRE To the game, so we Could:

A. Talk on Direct, much easier.

B. if we find a Radio - use it to team up ETC. (dont forget each radio has its own Range etc.)

Discuss!

ACRE presents only two problems.

Firstly, the barrier to people installing it. People might find that a bit complex.

Secondly, the classnames of your radios is mission based and goes up by number each time someone has a radio. ACRE isn't designed around persistence. So thats a complicated issue that needs to be solved.

I'm very supportive of the idea. Once the second issue is resolved, we can setup some trial servers.

Firstly' date=' the barrier to people installing it. People might find that a bit complex.

[/quote']

people downloaded jaylib2 etc to join zombie servers so thats not a problem.

Secondly' date=' the classnames of your radios is mission based and goes up by number each time someone has a radio. ACRE isn't designed around persistence. So thats a complicated issue that needs to be solved.

I'm very supportive of the idea. Once the second issue is resolved, we can setup some trial servers.

[/quote']

no clue what does it means but good luck : )

Alright Rocket, but how about to Re-route the Second issue, with Not putting any Radios in at this moment untill the issue is fixed, so we can atleast talk at direct?

Secondly' date=' the classnames of your radios is mission based and goes up by number each time someone has a radio. ACRE isn't designed around persistence. So thats a complicated issue that needs to be solved.

[/quote']

Perhaps every time you spawn you get a default radio of whatever type?

If I've got a good idea in my head of what he's talking about, it may have issues with people respawning; they would either need to be given a new radio number every time they respawn, in order to compensate for getting unique radio IDs, or the same radio ID every time, and I'm not sure if the system in ACRE accounts for duplicate IDs.

Also, since radios would be items and hence lootable, people might be able to change their radio ID on a whim if they kill a player, creating more duplicate IDs and persistent items. Another issue I can see is, if radio IDs aren't persistent across servers, it could run into issues where two players have the same one. I'm not sure of the problems it would cause, but I can see it being a big pain in the ass to implement due to the persistent nature of this mod.

I do like the idea. Having everyone install TS3 in addition to ACRE, as well as Day Z may be a bit off-putting for certain types of players, though.

When you look at external addons, you then need to incorporate their change log schedule, and ACRE like most is never finished.

When you look at external addons' date=' you then need to incorporate their change log schedule, and ACRE like most is never finished.

[/quote']

Really? Looks pretty finished to me.

Changelog:

v1.4.4

* Final build for release

Astral, they meant it was the final build of 1.4.4 for release. There will be more updates.

When considering support for the ACRE we have two problems:

1) How to implement TS server(s). One big server for the DayZ mod or different server for a each Dayz server?

2) Difficulty of usage

Obviously a server running with an ACRE support would have to enforce all players to use it. In the other hand forcing all DayZ players to use the ACRE would lead to serious decrease of the player base due to the problem 2.

I suggest an extra DayZ addon on top of the DayZ base. Something like DayZ_Acre, this addon would add all the necessary items for the ACRE. This way we could have servers running with an ACRE support/requirement and regular servers. Players could then choose not to use the ACRE. By allowing a choice of usage we would also decrease the amount of DayZ acre users and consequently decrease the load on a global DayZ TS-server.

Summary of this idea:

-Dayz_acre on top of the Dayz

-one global TS server for the Dayz ACRE users.

I like ACRE in normal arma, but this is just taking it too far with the complicated realism.

I like ACRE in normal arma' date=' but this is just taking it too far with the complicated realism.

[/quote']

I'm pretty sure the reason most of us play this mod is because of it's realism, otherwise we'd all be playing.... left4dead?

• Like 1

Tecnically it would be a suberb idea. And realims i doubt that could be an issue here :S.

The only problem is that for "people that dont like PCs very much", the installation could be troublesome( even if its only copying a dll lol, and even when sixupdater do it automatically.... they will have problems for sure).

About the acre usage itself ... well, direct speak its just use team speak, and the radios, just press a button to talk, so that shouldn't be a problem to anyone. Change the volume and chanel... its easy, the power setting could a bit more complicated but thats why people have done ACRE tutorials/manuals ^^.

And finally about the TS server to use. Tecnically ACRE includes options that could allow server admins to make clients autoconnect to their ts servers/chanel( the connect to server function i think that isn't working but the change chanel one is), maybe that could be the solution to this problem :P. If not, a server message with the TS would be fine too.

Let's see if they can fix DC. If not, acre may be the only option.

Firstly' date=' the barrier to people installing it. People might find that a bit complex.

Secondly, the classnames of your radios is mission based and goes up by number each time someone has a radio. ACRE isn't designed around persistence. So thats a complicated issue that needs to be solved.

[/quote']

I really want Direct fixed :(

I like ACRE in normal arma' date=' but this is just taking it too far with the complicated realism.

[/quote']

I'm pretty sure the reason most of us play this mod is because of it's realism, otherwise we'd all be playing.... left4dead?

True, true, but sometimes its gameplay > realism. People didnt want food consumption while offline, but thats realism.

2) Difficulty of usage

Obviously a server running with an ACRE support would have to enforce all players to use it. In the other hand forcing all DayZ players to use the ACRE would lead to serious decrease of the player base due to the problem 2.

bullshit.

person had to be 12 y/o handless retard with extremely curve arms that grow from the butt to find it difficult to install acre for arma.

If people managed to install @dayz' date=' what is the dam problem?[/b']

don't want to use teamspeak? get used to.

all this shit about omgomgomg this is sooo complicated just remind jokes about blondes.

man up ffs. there is nothing complicated at all.

if you do want to moan more about how complicate or hard "this" or "this" you should probably realise that dayz is made on base of game that close to milsim. want something simple, easy without focusing on realism? go play l4d.

or if you are that stubborn that using ts and adding one more mod in folder is so hard for you - feel free to jump to the first wall you will see on your way.

bullshit.

person had to be 12 y/o handless retard with extremely curve arms that grow from the butt to find it difficult to install acre for arma.

If people managed to install @dayz' date=' what is the dam problem?[/b']

don't want to use teamspeak? get used to.

all this shit about omgomgomg this is sooo complicated just remind jokes about blondes.

man up ffs. there is nothing complicated at all.

if you do want to moan more about how complicate or hard "this" or "this" you should probably realise that dayz is made on base of game that close to milsim. want something simple, easy without focusing on realism? go play l4d.

or if you are that stubborn that using ts and adding one more mod in folder is so hard for you - feel free to jump to the first wall you will see on your way.

rocket has already said

Want ACRE in DayZ? Chillout and get to coding.

Oktyabr, yeah i read rocket's response about each radio id or someth

but i was replying to people who say "omg omg soo diffcluut!"

aaanyway. why not to try this feature out at some server as it is?

even without radio acre mod works awesome and allow you to speak ingame like direct channel, so you will hear the voice from exact direction person talk, no matter if he got any radio or not.

so just for that feature acre can be added right now. and global chat disabled

Oktyabr' date=' yeah i read rocket's response about each radio id or someth

but i was replying to people who say "omg omg soo diffcluut!"

aaanyway. why not to try this feature out at some server as it is?

[b']even without radio acre mod works awesome and allow you to speak ingame like direct channel, so you will hear the voice from exact direction person talk, no matter if he got any radio or not.

so just for that feature acre can be added right now. and global chat disabled

I'm not a developer and I won't pretend to be one but I think if it were that easy it would already have been done. I suspect the "ID" that rocket is referring to is applied to the player regardless of whether he has an actual radio or not. For all intents and purposes ACRE treats direct talk as if you were using a radio, from a coding perspective. Of course I could be completely wrong about it too.

But yeah, rocket knows how important at least direct voice is to this mod... his post states that he's "very supportive" as soon as it's possible. He's the coder, not me. I think you will see it (or a bug fixed in-game direct comm) as soon as either one is possible.

I'm not a developer and I won't pretend to be one but I think if it were that easy it would already have been done. I suspect the "ID" that rocket is referring to is applied to the player regardless of whether he has an actual radio or not. For all intents and purposes ACRE treats direct talk as if you were using a radio' date=' from a coding perspective. Of course I could be completely wrong about it too.

But yeah, rocket knows how important at least direct voice is to this mod... his post states that he's "very supportive" as soon as it's possible. He's the coder, not me. I think you will see it (or a bug fixed in-game direct comm) as soon as either one is possible.

[/quote']

Basically how it works in ArmA (And all other video games for that matter) is every item gets a class name, this is the name that the game refers to (Save for instance the M240 Eclan has a class name of "m240_scoped_EP1"). This is how the game identifies everything you see, even some you don't.

For ACRE it is a little different because every radio you pick up has a unique class name that is assigned to it when you pick it up. (Save for instance "ACRE_PRC148") When you pick it up it gets assigned a number so when you make changes to the radio, like change the power, volume or frequency, it saves it to that specific radio. This way if you die and someone picks it up, they can listen in on your communications, or vice versa.

This complicates things because if you try to spawn in the radio class that was assigned to the radio you had, the game will not know what to do because technically it doesn't exist as the radio had not been assigned that class during the session.

The only way around this that I can think of is to make it default to the base radio on spawn. But how I do not know.