andrewjs

ACRE Support

Another vote for ACRE integration. ACRE integration would solve another problem -- Arma 2's terrible handling of in-game VON/VOIP. Servers could disable VON and save a nice chunk of overhead that should be going to the game itself, and players would get much better positional audio. Frankly installing ACRE is one of the most painless processes possible -- most of the people with install problems run afoul when they choose the wrong app type (32-bit v. 64-bit).

All the clans/communities playing in groups are and will continue to use external comms like TS and completely circumvent the need for a radio.

This exactly why ACRE would be great (but not necessarily for all servers). UO usually has tons of people in TS playing Dayz. Currently we are circumventing the need for radios by using TS.

However, if ACRE were implemented we would not have this advantage, and would have to find radios to communicate with each other in TS.

Another vote for ACRE integration. ACRE integration would solve another problem -- Arma 2's terrible handling of in-game VON/VOIP. Servers could disable VON and save a nice chunk of overhead that should be going to the game itself' date=' and players would get much better positional audio. Frankly installing ACRE is one of the most painless processes possible -- most of the people with install problems run afoul when they choose the wrong app type (32-bit v. 64-bit).

[/quote']

Yes, ACRE is easy to install... once you've done it a couple of times.

Remember, that not everyone playing DayZ is a part of a big clan that uses ACRE on a regular basis.

Version mismatches would become a major problem.

I think we'll see servers with ACRE soon enough, but they will not be public.

I thought we were supposed to be farmers and truck drivers and cashiers who survived the zombie apocalypse. What the hell would we be doing running around with military grade radio equipment, let alone knowing how to use it? I think we would be hard pressed to find walkie talkies and have other people on the other end.

Guest Suffocation

The PRC-343 is basically a simple radio, yes its used in the military but its not much difference from your standard walkie talkie, if you were a truck driver you would be very familiar with longer ranged radios also.

Obviously starting with one, would be kinda lame but finding one it would be brilliant.

The acre team could always reskin the 343 to a more commercial brand and copypaste code from the 343.

To make acre work with dayz would take some dueing. Dayz would need to have it's own launcher/updater with VoIPClientSide built into the launcher. Not only must the VoIP feature be built into the launcher but the server the user connects to must host it's own VoIPServerSide along side the dayz instance it is running.

With a launcher/updater that has built in VoIP and servers hosting VoIP specifically for the dayz instance they host. Then it would be possible to utilize ACRE, Note this would also work when players change from server to server as the launcher+VoIP detects the player has changed instances.

also, it would be common to run into radios. Police departments would issue radios to both the policeman and possibly even to the car they drive.

Overall the city police should already have a chance of owning a short range radio on them if they were alive and are now dead. Rural police departments would be less likely to have radios at all.

Yes please for ACRE. It's incredibly immersive and would add a lot of interesting gameplay

Yes to ACRE if possible. If you join a server, you connect to their Teamspeak.

We use ACRE on our ArmA2 servers all the time, and if the game detects you have joined with ACRE connected, and it detects you on our Teamspeak server, it will automatically move you into the correct channel on Teamspeak for whichever of our servers you have connected to.

Only people who are in game and have ACRE connected can join those channels, so even without a radio in your inventory, your local (directional) voice is enabled. If you have a radio, you can transmit to others on their frequency.

We also have in game VOIP disabled, so people don't spam global with "uh.. where are you guys?" or their singing.. or whatever.

I love ACRE.

What's the point of having it when ideally most people will be using the in-game "direct communication" anyway?

Lots of people won't even both to have acre installed so then you get to walk them through that whole process too before they can play. And are radios going to be that common?

What's the point of having it when ideally most people will be using the in-game "direct communication" anyway?

Lots of people won't even both to have acre installed so then you get to walk them through that whole process too before they can play. And are radios going to be that common?

Just need to add proper instructions in the downloads section. That way almost everyone will use it.

And those without mics? Will their in-game text (on Direct comm) even be read or replied to?

And those without mics? Will their in-game text (on Direct comm) even be read or replied to?

If they aren't read and replied to with ACRE install, what makes you think they'll be read and replied to without ACRE installed?

Is there something "special" about a certain kind of VON that makes people not read things? Of course not. ACRE is just far better than Arma2's very standard, very bad, very low quality, very difficult to hear (not to mention host overhead consuming) VON. If they won't reply to you just because they're using ACRE, they won't reply to you anyway.

Extra binds, extra bandwidth on the client end, most TS servers would either be hosted on the same server as the game (increasing bandwidth) or those that are not are then subject to ok, the game is up but the TS host is down or vice versa. Switch game servers now you are switching TS servers too... And it simply fractures the player base one step more.

I like ACRE in the more vanilla ARMA servers but on this mod it seems as if it would just complicate things further for very little benefit. Besides it's a moot question right now anyway as the devs have clearly stated they are not interested in incorporating extra addons, at this point anyway.

Why is that almost every mod ARMA has, some one suggest ACE or ACRE?!

What benefits dose it bring to the game besides shiny new toys?

Why is that almost every mod ARMA has' date=' some one suggest ACE or ACRE?!

[/quote']

While I understand that ACE can be seen as just adding shiny new toys, I do not agree at all with ACRE.

ACRE adds localized voice chat that actually works and you can hear as opposed to the Direct Channel that can barely be heard even if you are hugging the player talking (and that's when it works...)

Acre is good for calling in air strikes, that is all.

Quoting what I said in another thread:

ACRE (and ACE for that matter) added into the mod would be pretty great. Especially with the different radio frequencies that survivors would have to tune into in order to reach anyone that isn't within direct chat range. The problem is that ACRE currently requires everyone to be in one Teamspeak channel' date=' which isn't all that practical for servers filled with random people, as many of which are new without much Arma experience, let alone ACRE experience, that would have trouble even getting it working properly.

I suggested a watered-down, in-game, "ACRE" system. Basically, you are limited to direct chat until you find a radio. Once you find a radio, you can use the side chat, as if each survivor has tuned into the same emergency frequency. It's a very "ghetto" radio system, but it wouldn't require any extra effort from players, and nobody would be left out.

[/quote']

The in-game voice chat seems to be hard to modify, (from seeing many other attempts at it) but I think it would be a lot more beneficial than adding ACRE.

[/quote']

While I understand that ACE can be seen as just adding shiny new toys, I do not agree at all with ACRE.

ACRE adds localized voice chat that actually works and you can hear as opposed to the Direct Channel that can barely be heard even if you are hugging the player talking (and that's when it works...)

To amplify the DC's sound add Boost (or what ever it is called in Real HD audio manager or windows audio options) to max and enable or echo/noice cancelation and DC will be totally usefull in-game and sounds more than bearable. Also set Effect sounds to full in-game.

I don't mind if better quality voip is implemented, i am just pessimistic (realistic) that ACRE will ever be implemented to DayZ.

[/quote']

Even more realism? New fun way of gameplay and communication?