Sign in to follow this  
shiny57

Surviving hypothermia

Hi guys and gals,

I'm fairly new to DayZ and have gone through a good few characters due to carelessness. Well tonight I managed to get soaked and hypothermic while dossing in my newly found tent. No real idea how to combat hypothermia except get warm and I didn't want to lose all my gear by dying yet again. So I dashed into the nearest building, closed all the doors and spent the next 20 minutes jogging on the spot until miracle of miracles my coondition changed from dying of hypothermia to freezing to cold. My vision cleared and after eating a crapload of apples I became stable and hydrated.....yay me!

Just thought I'd share in case it happens to someone else.

• Like 1

That works.

Or, you can just build a fire... No need for matches or an axe. Just find a gravel spot and search for stones, then when you have one craft an improvised knife. Chop down a bush or two with the knife, you'll get sticks. Get close to a tree and collect bark, 2 pieces. Craft a fireplace kit with one bark + one stick. Craft a hand drill fire starting kit with the other bark and another stick. Light the fire with the hand drill and add sticks to the fire so it keeps burning, you'll get warm in no time.

Using waterproof clothes will fend off getting wet from rain, and usually have a higher isolation rate so they'll keep you warm too. Raincoats, and firefighter jackets/pants are the best for this.

Good luck, and safe travels!

• Like 5

Watching you sprint around the living room in circles would have been pretty funny ;)

I was at NWAF yesterday in my M65 jacket while it was pissing rain at night. Thought I would do a quick run through and then GTFO. Instead, my sporter saw 2 armed players approaching the tents from the SE. I was at the Quonset on the west corner of the airfield. As soon as I stopped in a building to watch them I got the rapid cooling message. To combat this, I sprinted in circles around the large industrial shed next door, stopping every 30 seconds or so to take a peek. It worked, but I felt pretty silly doing so. I eventually charged into the tents after them where my hail of inaccurate CR75 shots merely sent than scampering into the woods never to be seen again. Damn rain.

That's actually lucky, as hypothermia can easily be fatal. I just found that out yesterday.

I had the shakes for past two or three days, but other than that I seemed healthy. Even measured my temperature few times, and it was 35-35.6 C. Yesterday I did a very successful loot run, and was going back to my camp. I had my prime gear on, and my backpack was mostly filled with all kinds of nice stuff it's usually hard to find. It was early morning and it had been raining every now and then, and I had made a fire 3-4 times to dry myself. It started to rain again but this time as I got drenched I got hypothermic as well. Immediately I cut couple of trees but there was no place near enough I could go inside to make a fire, so I was happy as the rain ceased and I got to make a fire as soon as the trees were cut. My clothes dried and I started to get messages I'm warming up quickly... and I was like "phewww looks like I can make it!"... but then I just died. This happened about five minutes after receiving first "i'm hypothermic" message. 

Respawned to the coast and spent 45 minutes running to the spot to salvage my backpack at least, but didn't make it in time. Nooot happy.