WildGunsTomcat

Melee Weapon Petition

I really feel like you guys are forgetting how clunky this engine is...

I really feel like you guys are forgetting how clunky this engine is...

This. I just opened some editing tools to see what I could make of it. Let's say its not the most user friendly sdk out there. :)

This is a stupid suggestion that would turn Day Z into some nub friendly chop fest. I've been playing DayZ for a month now and only had trouble with Zombies on my first few lives. Now they mean nothing it's other players I look out for.

IF they were going to introduce some melee why not just have the knock down ability? When I played ACE you could knock people down for lols. Plus with the new zombie line of site update knocking zeds over would give you a better chance of escape.

Don't give the care bears their safety blanket!

everyone saying 'hurr durr sandy arma clearly does melee' is showing a proximity triggered animation and damage script or a context-menu interaction

the former is useless to a player, betraying ARMA's entirely skill dependant style

the latter is useful for stealthing, nothing else

It doesnt matter what you think it would do to the game, the game is trying to be realistic you know what that means? melee! you cant not include melee in a zombie mod, with that being said, someone mentioned guns needs to be primary weapon still, and it will be vs players, where as melee would be vs zombies.

Definitely needs some sort of melee. Its should be dangerous to use because you have to get close enough for the zombies maybe hit you too. Doesn't have to be especially powerful. But there needs to be some option for if you run out of bullets. I also like the knock down idea.

Definitely needs some sort of melee. Its should be dangerous to use because you have to get close enough for the zombies maybe hit you too. Doesn't have to be especially powerful. But there needs to be some option for if you run out of bullets. I also like the knock down idea.

Yeah on ACE you can knock players over...so does that mean the mechanics are already in the game?

That said if we can loose/run away from zombies after the next patch, then melee will not be needed IMO. As I said before its new players(normally) who struggle with the Zeds, I can't remember when I was last killed by one let alone needed the option to melee my way out of trouble.

again ... arma doesnt support melee ... and also .. we dont want a hack and slash zombie game ... no offense but pls try figuring the game and engine out before just jumping in with suggestions

YOU don't want hack and slash.

Every other zombie apocalypse anything has melee in it.

It would only work if it was extremely difficult to kill with the melee weapons.

Like 4 or 5 swings per zombie.

Or a fatigue mechanic where your swings do less and less damage the more you swing.

Ultimately though, it wouldnt add anything to the Day Z experience.

Melee could be implemented, i've seen a bayonet type weapon implemented in a WWII Arma mod. Although if it was implemented, you guys realized it would be limited to having to stop, have an animation run, then a script plays. If there was melee, it sure as hell wouldn't be fluid.

I 120% agree with this, however, I dont agree with making it a melee only game i like rationing the bullets and what not but when the time comes we need to use maybe a club or machete. Or when your trying to be silent and you have to take out a zombie that spots you. BUT if they do add this then they need to make a way for zombies to maybe be able to hurt you more cause you took a greater risk.

I :heart: the idea they just need to make it to where it is balanced out.

-thepope229

Melee is not awesome. Here's why. With a gun you have to aim. With melee you just face the guy and click. No skill whatsoever. You're not simulating precise slashes and jabs. It's just a free kill.

It would only work if it was extremely difficult to kill with the melee weapons.

Like 4 or 5 swings per zombie.

Or a fatigue mechanic where your swings do less and less damage the more you swing.

Ultimately though' date=' it wouldnt add anything to the Day Z experience.

[/quote']

It's the same difficulty for everyone which is bad. The game should reward players who have skill, not treat everyone the same. Right now it is great because someone who knows how to shoot a makarov will win against a person who collected a ton of fancy stuff but doesn't know how to shoot straight.

I like how everyone continues to ignore the fact that melee cannot be implemented in ARMA in a remotely usable way.

Not to mention the fact that even if the game DID have melee, unless the weapon had a substantially longer reach than that of the zombies, you would get hit by them every single time.

I like how everyone continues to ignore the fact that melee cannot be implemented in ARMA in a remotely usable way.

Not to mention the fact that even if the game DID have melee' date=' unless the weapon had a substantially longer reach than that of the zombies, you would get hit by them every single time.

[/quote']

I like how you didn't read the thread at all, and the countless examples of how melee has been used in Arma 2 many times in many other mods.

Reading comprehension...get some.

I say yes because it's completely realistic and I support realism. I can pick up a baseball bat right now and club someone with it. The only thing stopping me is the fact that I'm not a psychopath. So why couldn't I club a zombie?

Not to mention the fact that even if the game DID have melee' date=' unless the weapon had a substantially longer reach than that of the zombies, you would get hit by them every single time.

[/quote']

I like how you didn't read the thread at all, and the countless examples of how melee has been used in Arma 2 many times in many other mods.

Reading comprehension...get some.

Dude, listen. Those melee addons are absolutely TERRIBLE, and they aren't the kind of fluid melee you'd expect in a normal game. They consist of an animation that you have to do while standing still, that is very buggy and doesn't work sometimes. It'd be pretty impractical for a game like DayZ, where you'd have to stop for a long time to knock a zombie over.

Why not make the current "utility" items a one time use melee option. This would give the option to perform a silent or desperation kill, but you lose your knife or axe in the process. If you are willing to give up that resource, its your choice. There wouldn't be the need to implement a whole slew of different melee weapons with different duribilities and what not, and it would prevent people from making this a weapon of choice as you simply do not come across axes and knifes in sufficient frequency to outright replace your gun.

From an implementation standpoint, you could make the weapon selectable through the scroll wheel, and only allow you to select the items that are currently equipped and not in your bag. Realistically, you would only have a few different options before you ran out of melee weapons to choose from before you would need to stop, go into your bag, and pull out more if you even had spares in your bag.

I say yes because it's completely realistic and I support realism. I can pick up a baseball bat right now and club someone with it. The only thing stopping me is the fact that I'm not a psychopath. So why couldn't I club a zombie?

Because the engine won't allow it. Maybe you would like Rocket to write a new engine for you?

ROCKEEEET! Get back to work! Write a brand new game for Sarcasmo, he wants it!

You have until friday 1730.

Cheers.

Why not make the current "utility" items a one time use melee option. This would give the option to perform a silent or desperation kill' date=' but you lose your knife or axe in the process. If you are willing to give up that resource, its your choice. There wouldn't be the need to implement a whole slew of different melee weapons with different duribilities and what not, and it would prevent people from making this a weapon of choice as you simply do not come across axes and knifes in sufficient frequency to outright replace your gun.

From an implementation standpoint, you could make the weapon selectable through the scroll wheel, and only allow you to select the items that are currently equipped and not in your bag. Realistically, you would only have a few different options before you ran out of melee weapons to choose from before you would need to stop, go into your bag, and pull out more if you even had spares in your bag.

[/quote']

Ok, look, it's not an issue of balance or realism. It's an issue of this straight up not working right in ARMA.

These are all interesting ideas and I'm sure they would add a ton to gameplay or whatever. But I guarantee that if melee is added it will generate far more complaints about how terrible it is to use than there are requests for melee.

Aaaaah. First we attempt to turn DayZ into an MMO.

Then we try to turn it into Left for Dead.

I really like where this Mod is going.

If all else fails! Let's turn DayZ into hide and seek with bullets!

I'm on the fence with Melee Weapons.

I don't see them very useful against Zeds

I see Melee weapons against Zeds is like feeling like you die fighting verse screaming/crying like a child. It's more of a mental state verse it actually going to save you.

Where I see Melee weapons being used more in Player verse Player conflicts.

The question is how would this be balanced with player verse player melee type combat?

On one point I can see how Melee weapons would be nice to have but I don't see them as fully needed and since the engine does have them, Melee weapons i can see as something later in dev. cycle getting tested

Retrievable throwing axe that sits in your pistol slot. It'd be too slow & cumbersome to try to take down a group of zombies. Basically, it'd be useless vs. any enemies that are aware of you, leaving it just useful for the occasional silent take down.

This is my 2 cents on the subject. Let's talk about Pros first.

Pros-

- In real life I would use anything I see that could harm a zombie to defend myself idealistically it would be a gun, but not everyone has one but melee weapons can be anything that has reach.

- I say heavy item or more durable (machete, axe, metal bats, chainsaws) would take up a primary weapon slot.

- Smaller items or throw able objects (throwing knifes, hammer, and ninja stars...lol) would be slotted for secondary.

- Any items that would require a power source (chainsaw) you must carry a jerrycan to fill it up with.

- I do agree that melee weapons would degrade after use so there should be items that could repair it (Sharpening stone - machete,axe, sword) (chainsaw blade - Chainsaw)

- Non-repairable melees would be 2x4 wood plank, wood table leg, bar stool, etc. Those just splinter an disappear after use.

- I think it would be cool if we have a possibility to spawn with it ex %

spawn weapon type:

- melee (primary) = 30 %

- handgun = 15%

- melee (non-repairable) = 50%

- Nothing (Flashlight) = 5%

I think that percentages sounds realistic to me. what do you guys think? If I was leaving my comfort of my own home into a possible danger (Everyday) I make sure that I'm protected and safe.

As for animation considering the fact that the makers of the mod works for BI im pretty sure they can come up with something reasonable. The recent update 1.7.1 came with new animation for zombies.

Furthermore someone mentioned getting infected by contact. It all depends upon how realistic you want it to be. LOL its Zombies for crying out loud! Anyways if they are real it depends on what kinda zombie (different movies) they are from. Some airborne, mostly it must spread through open wound - (bites, spits, clawing) or through ingestion open mouth. So only way to get infected is through contact unless you gonna count through pores then you have to look into blood splatter which occurs with shotguns, close range handguns, melees. So let simplify it and say you can get infected only by open wound/mouth melee weapons would work.

Example: you have a chainsaw. You have been running with it, come upon a group of zombies. You charge in like Leeroy! your exhausted so your character has a high likeability that his/her mouth will be open. Blood splats everywhere...goes into mouth. Slowly but surely your character turns into zombie.

Example 2: same chainsaw same scenario. but this time you stop rest and casually walk up and kill some zombies like a champ! mouth closed (face shield, gas mask) protecting possible ingestion and you live and nothing happens other then make a lot of noise. But still you sawed through zombies...its worth it!

What do you guys think possible? I say yes! I would love to see some melee weapons added to 1.7.2! :)

Cons:

- simply put there isn't much. some people will always be immature im sure i can imagine people at spawn chainsawing each other but for the rest of us that would be entertaining to watch!