WildGunsTomcat

Melee Weapon Petition

The problem is; how do you make it a last ditch weapon?

Ok' date=' so you limit the number of uses, essentially that's the same exact thing as using a Makarov except A LOT less effective

If you don't limit the number of uses then it's like having unlimited ammo and where is the sense of urgency in the game if you have that?

Basically this thread is people crying about "how it's too hard to survive" in my opinion

[/quote']

It has nothing to do with how hard it is to survive. It has to do with how dumb it is to run across the map, being chased by a single zombie that you can't outrun and can't kill because you're out of ammo.

The military does specific training on how to use your rifle as a bludgeoning weapon. There should be some way to defend yourself if you run out of ammo. Not because it's too hard. But because it's retarded not to.

It has nothing to do with how hard it is to survive. It has to do with how dumb it is to run across the map' date=' being chased by a single zombie that you can't outrun and can't kill because you're out of ammo.

The military does specific training on how to use your rifle as a bludgeoning weapon. There should be some way to defend yourself if you run out of ammo. Not because it's too hard. But because it's retarded not to.

[/quote']

Exactly.

I'm not a fan of solid objects vanishing after you use them once or breaking after a set number of uses, especially when you are talking about possibly using a firearm as a melee device. The price for having a weapon with "unlimited ammo"? You have to get damn close to use it and let's face it, a guy swinging a club isn't going to last long against more than one or two of these zombies. It has "last ditch weapon" already built in to the concept.

I like the idea' date=' but I think it would be way to easy this way.... hmm

[/quote']

I don't understand why people think this.

It's not going to be rapid fire. It's a melee weapon. It's not going to do a lot of damage. It's a melee weapon.

Hell, it won't even be as effective as normal melee weapons. You're fighting zeds. They don't feel pain. They don't care if you break their bones.

I can't see how this would be overpowered, unless the implementation is unconditionally botched.

It has nothing to do with how hard it is to survive. It has to do with how dumb it is to run across the map' date=' being chased by a single zombie that you can't outrun and can't kill because you're out of ammo.

[/quote']

Two easy ways to prevent that:

1) Don't go running around with no ammo

2) Run inside a building and pick up a gun/ammo before that zombie kills you

You seem to be missing the point. No one is arguing that such a situation is unavoidable. We're arguing that such a situation is dumb as hell.

I can break it down further if you require.

[/quote']

It is quite unrealistic to be not be capable to defend yourself in such a situation. I'm sure if someone had attacked you in real life you wouldn't just stand there or run inside a building because you had no ammo.

If there were melee weapons there would have to be a better stamina system added so you cant just spam swing your machete and own every zombie.

To be honest, I feel as though adding a melee weapon to the game would greatly reduce the initial fear people have of the zombies. And as GigaHobo stated, it would also throw off the whole "conservation of ammo" aspect that we all know and love. (Which, might I add, is rare amongst modern games, so it really is what makes DayZ so appealing... in my honest opinion.)

@WildGunsTomcat - The point of DayZ is that it IS so much like reality, unlike a lot of video games these days... Do we really want DayZ to just be a glorified version of Dead Island? Really?

To be honest' date=' I feel as though adding a melee weapon to the game would greatly reduce the initial fear people have of the zombies. And as GigaHobo stated, it would also throw off the whole "conservation of ammo" aspect that we all know and love. (Which, might I add, is rare amongst modern games, so it really is what makes DayZ so appealing... in my honest opinion.)

@WildGunsTomcat - The point of DayZ is that it IS so much like reality, unlike a lot of video games these days... Do we really want DayZ to just be a glorified version of Dead Island? Really?

[/quote']

Well said. I love the conservation of ammo aspect. Finding ammo is a large part of the game.

Having a melee weapon which is essentially unlimited ammo would take away the tension and fear with zombies. What fun would sneaking around be if you could just run through a field, have 3 zombies run after you and you whack them with a machete or baseball bat? Without even attracting other zombies because it would be silent

The way zombies work at the moment, they get close to you, they start draining blood with the possibility of other nastiness, right?

As long as a melee weapon takes 2-3 hits to kill a zed, you're going to be taking damage the whole time, so it kind of balances itself out in those circumstances. That way, it's used as a weapon of last resort.

Also no one would use their guns against zombies anymore (I know I wouldn't) because of the noise and ammo use

BRB just attracted 5 zombies I'll just pull out my crowbar and smash them all in the head instead of having to waste ammo and let other people know I'm around

Here's an idea: Melee for PVP only. Include a context command for the combat/hunting knife that allows you to silently stab other players, but not zombies.

Here's an idea: Melee for PVP only. Include a context command for the combat/hunting knife that allows you to silently stab other players' date=' but not zombies.

[/quote']

The problem with that is delayed kills and lag

Lets say some guy charges me with a knife, I unload 2 shots at him and he starts bleeding yet still continues running and then one hits me with the knife and kills me, then bandages himself

It's not that realistic. And lag would even make that worse

Also no one would use their guns against zombies anymore (I know I wouldn't) because of the noise and ammo use

BRB just attracted 5 zombies I'll just pull out my crowbar and smash them all in the head instead of having to waste ammo and let other people know I'm around

This is easily solved by having a stamina meter....

If there were melee weapons, THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE WILL BE RUINED.

Searching for ammunition will become LESS of a priority and, worst of all, no one will ever RUN AWAY from zombies.

There has to be a commodity such that when you run out of it, YOURE FCUKED. End of story. You failed. You did not survive.

Make a new character, TC and either conserve your ammo or avoid confrontations entirely.

If there were melee weapons' date=' THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE WILL BE RUINED.

Searching for ammunition will become LESS of a priority and, worst of all, no one will ever RUN AWAY from zombies.

There has to be a commodity such that when you run out of it, YOURE FCUKED. End of story. You failed. You did not survive.

Make a new character, TC and either conserve your ammo or avoid confrontations entirely.

[/quote']

You obviously didn't read many of the suggestions.

The majority wants melee weapons as a last resort, where they may help against 1 zombie, but you would be fucked if there were more and you would still WANT to have guns, cause they would be way more effective.

Having a melee weapon which is essentially unlimited ammo would take away the tension and fear with zombies. What fun would sneaking around be if you could just run through a field, have 3 zombies run after you and you whack them with a machete or baseball bat? Without even attracting other zombies because it would be silent

first off, if 3 zombies are running after you, they would attract more zombies through their screaming.

second as i wrote before, 3 zombies with melee should allready be a problem and third many people here suggested that melee weapons lose durability if you use them too often.

Here's an idea: Melee for PVP only. Include a context command for the combat/hunting knife that allows you to silently stab other players, but not zombies.

That wouldn't be the point. The point is to have a last resort kind of defense when you run out of ammo, not to have a uberhaxoroneshotkill instrument

first off, if 3 zombies are running after you, they would attract more zombies through their screaming.

second as i wrote before, 3 zombies with melee should allready be a problem and third many people here suggested that melee weapons lose durability if you use them too often.

So then what is the point really?

Why even bother going through all of the work to code in melee weapons so that a few people who suck at the game can have a small chance at killing one zombie because they don't want to run into a building and look for a gun/ammo?

They could also be easily abused if they only work against one zombie. I could just keep running through buildings so they slow down and stack up then take one out at a time instead of having to use my ammo

it's good for taking out singled out zombies standing in your way which you could otherwise not kill without alerting a horde (in comparison to the "3 zombies running after you" situation, that one isn't alerted allready) or when you run out of ammo and would have no choice than to just run or die.

With melee you would still have a chance of doing something else, even if the chances are slim.

We can't talk about abusing a feature, when it's not even done yet.

It needs a good balancing and an idea to see how it would work first.

You obviously didn't read many of the suggestions. The majority wants melee weapons as a last resort

Your last bullet WAS your last resort. Conserve your ammo and you are usually fine. The only thing that melee weapons will bring to the table is to make the game easier. You can argue that in a particular scenario it might be useful or it would be more realistic if you could pick up a crowbar as a last resort' date=' but the upshot of any type of melee weapon added is that the game becomes easier, even if only a little bit.

Dead_Zombie said it really well.

There has to be a commodity such that when you run out of it, YOURE FUCKED. End of story. You failed. You did not survive.

^^^

You obviously didn't read many of the suggestions. The majority wants melee weapons as a last resort

Your last bullet WAS your last resort. Conserve your ammo and you are usually fine. The only thing that melee weapons will bring to the table is to make the game easier. You can argue that in a particular scenario it might be useful or it would be more realistic if you could pick up a crowbar as a last resort' date=' but the upshot of any type of melee weapon added is that the game becomes easier, even if only a little bit.

Dead_Zombie said it really well.

There has to be a commodity such that when you run out of it, YOURE FUCKED. End of story. You failed. You did not survive.

^^^

commodity that runs out and you're fucked? We allready have that with blood and food/water.

Regarding the easier part: So be it. There is still enough danger, you still have to find melee weapons first (Same as with finding very strong weapons, a matter of luck) and I personally don't want a 1 hit kill melee system.

I want one where you think twice if you should run or if you use it and probably even use it up, if it has durability.

It is a matter of choices, not difficulty, plus since there is no melee system yet, we can't say how much impact it would have on the difficulty.

Also consider this: If there was allready a melee system in the game, before it went public, then no one would complain about the game getting easier...no one complains (or if there is something on the board, not many complain) about Night vision goggles, even if they give you a huge advantage when playing in the night, cause they were allready in the game from the start.

So in conclusion: If melee weapons are such overpowered gamebreaking things, then let's take out all weapons except pistols, cause they have a lot more advantage than a crappy stick

commodity that runs out and you're fucked? We allready have that with blood and food/water.

Regarding the easier part: So be it. There is still enough danger' date=' you still have to find melee weapons first (Same as with finding very strong weapons, a matter of luck) and I personally don't want a 1 hit kill melee system.

I want one where you think twice if you should run or if you use it and probably even use it up, if it has durability.

It is a matter of choices, not difficulty, plus since there is no melee system yet, we can't say how much impact it would have on the difficulty.

Also consider this: If there was allready a melee system in the game, before it went public, then no one would complain about the game getting easier...no one complains (or if there is something on the board, not many complain) about Night vision goggles, even if they give you a huge advantage when playing in the night, cause they were allready in the game from the start.

So in conclusion: If melee weapons are such overpowered gamebreaking things, then let's take out all weapons except pistols, cause they have a lot more advantage than a crappy stick

[/quote']

It's a stupid idea and won't work well with this gameplay

If you want to hack and slash zombies go play Left4Dead 2 or Dead Island

Want a "last resort"? Then save one round for your Makarov

Want to sneak past zombies? Then move slowly and carefully

Keep running out of ammo? Then conserve your ammo and stop wasting it all like it's Call of Duty

I've been playing 2 weeks and only had one time where I was actually being chased by zombies with no ammo, I ran through a few buildings until I eventually found a gun

For your reading pleasure, out of the 15 pages of responses here are the three reasons people have said they wanted melee weapons:

1. I want melee weapons because the game is too hard. I keep running out of ammo and still have a zombie shambling after me. That is dumb.

2. I want melee weapons because I'd like to make the game easier. It'd be really neat if I could take out 1 zombie in a city without alerting other zombies or bandits.

3. I want melee weapons because this is supposed to be a military sim and swinging shit at zombies is realistic.

Here are the individual responses:

1. Being chased by zombies and I have no way to kill them. I need a machete to hack the fuckers up

2. Don't want to alert bandits or other nearby zombies

3. Now that the zed are potentially much more dangerous a silent attack for a survivor taking out a bandit (or vice versa) is more valuable than ever.

4. The melee weapon would be used for silent kills for not alerting the horde and as a last resort.

5. Maybe something that would either knock a few zombies down at a time thats got a slow fire rate or a slugger that 1 hits a single zombie but has a slightly faster rate.

6. Melee attack would be useful, it just has to be weak and dangerous to use — a last resort option, when you're out of ammo.

7. ArmA is considered to be a simulator and why the hell can't you use a knife for a stealth kill to not attract the horde? It's not even that easy sometimes to sneak to a zed's back.

8. Even using the hunting knife to do laughable amounts of damage would curb the hopeless feeling you get when you fire your weapon to hear a "Click" multiple times.

9. If this were real life and I had 0 weapons / 0 ammo my first priority would be to find some sort of object that I could defend myself so that I had the tools to survive a trip out to scavenge weapons and ammunition.

10. I would just like the chance to maybe break a zs legs so he stops chasing me or slows them down so I can hightail it off into the sunset.

11. I am sick to death of dying because ONE zombie out of a dozen survived and I ran out of bullets. For a game that is otherwise so realistic and so sim-like, it makes absolutely ZERO sense that I wouldn't be able to pick up a shovel or a hatchet in a last ditch effort to save myself.

12. Running around with zero bullets and one zombie left tailing you sucks.

13. This game aims at realism, right? Did you ever see some of the most popular zombie fiction? Trilogy of the Dead? Walking Dead? Melee is CRUCIAL part of zombie survival. We won't ever achieve realism in Day Z if there won't be some sort of melee.

14. I do support melee as a last attempt to survive without bullets. Even if Rocket implements "Zombie Slap-fight" mode, where your hits are ineffective, I think the animations would be hilarious.

15. Right now I would love to have a bat since I just lost my Mak in the grass to climb a ladder and I thought I was putting it into my bag...

16. There needs to be a way to push a zombie back with a gun, taking no damage, just to buy you some time

17. I want to see melee weapons as it's more realistic.

18. If you run out of bullets and zombies are chasing you, you're just dead. There's no discussion. Just dead.

19. Even if it is just something that pushes a zombie back so we can run away more it would be better than what we have now.

20. I like the idea of a melee weapon, i mean this is meant to be a simulation right? Realism being the name of the game, right?

21. Dude, if you honestly think that in real fucking life you wouldn't pick up a golf club or bat to get the fucking infected psycho assholes that are trying to eat you...away from your personage....you need your head examined.

22. Melee weapons HAVE to be in the mod because who wouldn't pick up something sharp/blunt to protect themselves with?

23. I'm all for melee weapons, but only for player killing.

24. I propose this system as a risky method for silently clearing a area and a absolute last ditch chance for survival otherwise.

25. It has nothing to do with how hard it is to survive. It has to do with how dumb it is to run across the map, being chased by a single zombie that you can't outrun and can't kill because you're out of ammo.

26. it's good for taking out singled out zombies standing in your way which you could otherwise not kill without alerting a horde

As I mentioned before, it will either end 3 ways:

1) Overpowered

To the point that the majority of people would stop using guns against zombies and the ammo commodity would be destroyed and the gameplay would be entirely changed

2) Underpowered

Basically 100% useless, but a few people on here would be able to live out their Katana sword wielding fantasies which you can already do with many other arcade games)

3) Abused

Even if it was implemented SOMEWHAT correctly I could exploit it. Example, if I was being chased by zombies in a town I could just go indoors so they slow down and stack up and hack and slash them one by one without giving away my position or using ammo). To go around this you have to redo the entire zombie behavior dynamic

It's not hard to understand why this is a bad idea