atempleton

Sidearms vs SMGs?

Maybe I need to try DayZ on a terrible computer. Playing at 2160 with all settings maxed makes spotting someone ten feet away from you in the forest extremely difficult.

1600 hours of constant PvP in DayZ, a handful of deaths to other players (not counting glitches/cheaters), and now I'm being told that wearing a backpack "gets you spotted". I love learning new things. (:

You play with ATOC on? that'll be why then.

It's much easier to spot people hiding in trees, bushes or lay in the grass with it turned off, even though it makes the game look like ass.

As for me, I often play backpackless or even backpackless and vestless for extra challenge, so quiet often if I carry a secondary (for the purposes of having access to a suppressed weapon then it usually ends up being either a CR75, 1911 or Mak with a pistol suppressor on it as space is at an absolute premium.

Edited by TheScruffyBandit

Maybe I need to try DayZ on a terrible computer. Playing at 2160 with all settings maxed makes spotting someone ten feet away from you in the forest extremely difficult.

1600 hours of constant PvP in DayZ, a handful of deaths to other players (not counting glitches/cheaters), and now I'm being told that wearing a backpack "gets you spotted". I love learning new things. (:

Common sense isn't so common.

Common sense isn't so common.

Neither is being spotted because of a backpack.

I've been thinking about this topic a lot lately - and the bottom line is that unless my main weapon is an SVD, or something with a hunting scope it's almost pointless for me to carry another weapon, I either don't have time to switch or die before being able to use it. However, often any weapon with ammo is a good weapon, so it all depends. In a perfect world I'd probably opt for an FNX with it's 15 round clip - more than sufficient and doesn't take up too much space.

Neither is being spotted because of a backpack.

Actually it is, as plenty of people in this thread have pointed out.

You understand that you are literally arguing that a larger object is not easier to see than a smaller one right?

I mean, I know you like to troll so I hope that's all this is for your sake haha

Edited by Bororm

I've been thinking about this topic a lot lately - and the bottom line is that unless my main weapon is an SVD, or something with a hunting scope it's almost pointless for me to carry another weapon, I either don't have time to switch or die before being able to use it. However, often any weapon with ammo is a good weapon, so it all depends. In a perfect world I'd probably opt for an FNX with it's 15 round clip - more than sufficient and doesn't take up too much space.

Just two days ago, in experimental, I shot a bandit from about 90m away with my blaze, his friend charged towards me, I ran to the building next to me and took my pistol out. My first shot landed on his arm, which made him sway and miss an entire RAK mag on me... He was just 25m away, on the street, shooting me through a window while I was crouched in the middle of the room. Hit him about 3 more times, but he still ran away and combat logged inside another building, panicking... After that incident, I always carry a secondary, it is certainly worth it, even if your primary is close range.

• Like 1

Well I recently just had a close shave moment saved by a pistol. Was bringing an AK to my friend and dropped it on the ground, and my Mosin was slung over the shoulder. Just as he went to pick up the AK, somebody peaked and killed him with a CR75. I ducked to cover, pulled out my FNX, and we exchanged fire, with me hitting him once and him missing me. I managed to make him withdraw long enough for me to pick the AK back up and finish the job.

You never know when that pistol comes in handy.

Actually it is, as plenty of people in this thread have pointed out.

You understand that you are literally arguing that a larger object is not easier to see than a smaller one right?

I mean, I know you like to troll so I hope that's all this is for your sake haha

It literally makes no difference. Someone running around at 5-800 meters without a backpack looks virtually identical to someone with one. In all my hours of DayZ, I can't think of one instance when I thought to myself, "Man, I'm glad that guy was wearing a backpack. Otherwise, I wouldn't have seen him on the horizon!"

On top of that, backpacks don't even render outside of a certain range. Very often I'll notice movement a good ways out and as I peek through my scope, a backpack, gun, and ballistic helmet will snap onto the character. When I zoom back out, same silhouette of some new spawn running around.

I'd even take it a step further and openly challenge anybody here to a 1v1 in a fairly open area of the map of their choice. I'll wear a red mountain backpack, and they can tell me how easy I was to spot after they respawn.

Edited by Grimey Rick

People who are adept at stealth are sneaky enough that wearing a backpack or not won't make a difference. I find that holding a rifle makes you stand out infinitely more than a backpack anyway.

If I'm expecting gun play I hide my backpack in the woods and take only what I need to fight, that way my precious stuff doesn't get shot up or stolen if I get shot and/or killed.

• Like 1

People who are adept at stealth are sneaky enough that wearing a backpack or not won't make a difference. I find that holding a rifle makes you stand out infinitely more than a backpack anyway.

If I'm expecting gun play I hide my backpack in the woods and take only what I need to fight, that way my precious stuff doesn't get shot up or stolen if I get shot and/or killed.

I've done that from time to time, usually when it's against multiple people who are well armed. Generally though, I'm too lazy to remove it. :T

SMG's

All SMG's in the game (UMP45, PM73-RAK And MP5K)

All SMG Rounds (45. ACP, 9MM And .380 Auto)

Pro's

Fast Firing

Larger magazines  

Easy to find rounds

Lot of attachments (Sights, Suppressors and flashlights) 

Very effective at around 5-125 meters (Iron sights) Effective at around 125-300 (With optics)

Con's

High recoil

Drains magazines

Hard to find

Attachments can be hard to find

Can wear down very fast

How to use it.

Fire in burst/Single shot only full-auto in CQB

Aim for the head!!!! Remember it takes pistol rounds at can take around 4-7 shots to the body to kill and don't get me started on the PM73-RAK

Be the first to fire

Fight recoil

Try to train on Low pop servers before you use it

Final tip try to avoided contact with others unless you know them or they are friendly and they have shown it.

Pistol's

All Pistol's in game (M1911, Makarov, CZ75, P1 Pistol, 357 Magnum, FNX 45, Amphibia S and Derringer)

All Pistol Ammo (45. ACP, 9MM, .380 Auto, .357 Rounds and .22 Rounds)

Pros

Easy to find

Rounds are easy to find 

Pistols such as the FNX and CZ75 Have a large magazine capacity making them very effective for CQB

Attachments (Optics (For FNX) Pistol Suppressors, Flashlights)

Only takes a 2x2 Slot (Expect for Derringer which takes 2x1)

Some pistol have high damage with about a 2-3 hit kill like the Magnum

Low Recoil

Con's

Magazine's are hard to find

Low damage expect for the Magnum  

Magazines have low capacity expect for FNX and CZ75

(Can't Really think of anymore)

How to use

Aim for the Fecking head! Like the SMG its low damage expect for the Magnum you better kill what you hit. 

Only use for CQB effective rage about 5-25 meters.

Only use pistol's in dire situation's when you out of ammo for you AK or M4

Like with SMG's Avoided contact unless you know them or you know there friendly

What Would I Use

Myself I would go for a SMG only when I have a Magazine for it you don't want to be carrying a Empty 6x6 slot gun in your vest or backpack which you could use for food. 

I Would say use whatever rocks your boat Pistol or SMG there the same thing expect one is full auto and has a bigger magazine and the other is small with small magazines.

AK74U feeks weak as shit, I've been loving the MP5 lately however

FNX I still love too

I carry my Winchester on my shoulder and my akm in my hands. Both have ghilly wrap painted to match my ghilly suit.

I carry my Winchester on my shoulder and my akm in my hands. Both have ghilly wrap painted to match my ghilly suit.

everyone i see with a gun in his hands is very likely someone i open fire upon without asking or taking any risk,

which is also why i am never carrying two primaries

• Like 1

everyone i see with a gun in his hands is very likely someone i open fire upon without asking or taking any risk,

which is also why i am never carrying two primaries

yep I know that's what most players think when they see double carrying. I move slow and almost always play lone wolf so most of the time, I see them before they see me.

• Like 1

AK74U feeks weak as shit, I've been loving the MP5 lately however

FNX I still love too

AKS 74U is a carbine not a SMG.

• Like 2