TheMachine

I KNOW you're an exploiter if you disagree

The whole problem with this is that the servers are player owned and maintained meaning some servers are going to sick and yes some servers will kick players just for the hell of it and also if you decide to try out a new server and you Dc because the server just plain sucks you will most likely be dead. Don't get me wrong I'm all for stopping the dcers and I'm sure rocket and his team will fix it eventually but lets face it without reliable servers this wont work. I'm not sure about the rest of you but I usually spend atleast 20 mins trying to find a good reliable server that doesn't Dc and lag when I want a new server and usually I go through atleast 5 bad servers for every 1 good server. I can deal with someone hitting alt 4 right when I'm about to kill him but I wouldn't be able to deal with dieing everytime I lose connection to a server I would rage quit.

some servers will kick players just for the hell of it

Server kicks would take effect immediately' date=' not triggering any sort of timers at all.

and also if you decide to try out a new server and you Dc because the server just plain sucks you will most likely be dead.

The normal logout timer in my suggestion isn't that long, as long as you log out in a (relatively) safe place there is no problem with it.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for stopping the dcers and I'm sure rocket and his team will fix it eventually

but how ? I have thought about this for a bit and I couldn't figure out any better solutions (see the thread in my sig).

but lets face it without reliable servers this wont work. I'm not sure about the rest of you but I usually spend atleast 20 mins trying to find a good reliable server that doesn't Dc and lag when I want a new server and usually I go through atleast 5 bad servers for every 1 good server.

Funny' date=' my main problem with servers (EU area) is that they're full, or that they have nametags on (crosshair I try to avoid but might tolerate if every "proper" server with decent ping [sub 70 or so'] is full, 3dp I usually tolerate even though I never use it myself but naturally prefer to play with people who share my ideas of "correct" settings)

I can deal with someone hitting alt 4 right when I'm about to kill him but I wouldn't be able to deal with dieing everytime I lose connection to a server I would rage quit.

The timer is not an automatic death, and unless you're all the time in hot zones or happen to get "unlucky" DC during a fight it's not even a very likely death.

how does d/c ing affect you? if people wanna do it' date=' who cares?

[/quote']

I think having a timer for disconnecting is a must - I would prefer a 5-10 minute for a "standard" timeout. If you actually get into a tactical firefight you are usually taking cover and evaluating options - a 5-10 second timer would be useless as this is not the type of game where you go charging after enemies. Unless you catch someone in the wide open, 5-10 seconds is nothing and wouldn't functionally change anything. They could just go prone behind a ditch and D/C.

5-10 minutes for standard logout? You've gotta be kidding.

How about 15 seconds in the wilderness, 5 minutes if you're in a firefight/aggroed a zombie that's still withing x amount of meters from you?

Anyone want to guess what forms if TheMachine and Co. get together?

Scariest lynching mob ever.

I'm not against the idea of preventing DCers or server hoppers(no opinion on which method), but OP and many others in this thread are very intolerant of opposing point of views, not to mention inconsiderate of others' technological impediments (Be it power outages or forever loading screens).

Mother fucker ignored my request for him to buy me a new PC.

God damn it' date=' son. You want that fix? You better buy me and every other fuck-stick here with a shitty computer a brand new one. As I said before: "I want one of those high-end ones". About 3 grand will be just fine.

Now - get on it so we can get your lame ass idea rolling and my computer will stop crashing.

[/quote']

How about you don't play games your beige PC can't handle. And if you do, don't go on the dev forums for that game demanding that everyone else be hampered by your cheap ass.

I live in the United States and not a single DSL/Cable provider is within reach where I live. (A suburb of Little Rock' date=' Arkansas). Only an ignorant fool would think everyone has some awesome stable 100 ping or less connection.

[/quote']

Oh, okay so everyone else has to suffer for the inadequacies of your ISP choice?

You know what guys, my monitor colour isn't that fantastic -- Can we make it so all players show up as luminous pink so that I'm on a level footing to everyone else? This is really damn unfair guys!!!

Lol this guy is a spoiled brat. He has to be some kid who's parents gave him everything. Only someone with that background could be so arrogant.

I'm short on cash because I have loans to pay for college, I help my grandmother pay her medical expenses for her cancer treatments and I have my own bills to pay. You wanna give me a check or are you gonna just consider everyone under your parent's level of income below you and trash talk over the internet like a tough guy?

The other player lives in an area where (more than likely like me) there is only ONE ISP in the entire zone.

Oh you want him to move? How about you quit being a punk ass bitch and pay for him to move, pay for him to chill while he finds a new job, oh and pay for his groceries.

You need a reality check, kid. When you leave the nest, you're in for a rude awakening. I'm sorry we all didn't get handed the silver spoon out of our mom's vagina.

Id be happy with 10 seconds wait when quitting if you are in a firefight with pvp

Anyone want to guess what forms if TheMachine and Co. get together?

Scariest lynching mob ever.

I'm not against the idea of preventing DCers or server hoppers(no opinion on which method)' date=' but OP and many others in this thread are very intolerant of opposing point of views, not to mention inconsiderate of others' technological impediments (Be it power outages or forever loading screens).

[/quote']

Doppleganger.

Interesting you frame this as 'if you disagree you must be an exploiter'.. good try.

This causes problems if you get the 'no message received' and want to disconnect but if your character is still there and gets eaten because of the lag then that's no good.

And stuff like logging out if you have to go do something.. (eg toilet, to eat) there is alot of places if it stayed for a while zombies or players could come get you.

Yes I get annoyed with the people who disconnect after they shoot at me and I shoot back.. but I don't like this solution.

Not sure if someone has mentioned this yet, but Rocket has already devised a fix for this.

The main server logs the times of connects and disconnects, and when it sees too many within a short span of time, it will warn a player; if it continues to detect this it will kill the player.

Depending on what the span of time is and how many disconnects and reconnects it takes to trigger the insta-death, this should help against server hoppers as well.

A pretty brilliant solution IMO

OP is s troll for suggesting anyone who disagrees is an exploiter.

I actually ban people for alt-F4'ing on my server, but I think a 60 second timer is a horrible idea. Internet issues do occur, and there's nothing you can do about it. I honestly don't want to die because someone at home decided to start downloading a game just as I was busy looting Berezino, resulting me in getting kicked by BattlEye.

Find a better solution.

Your character should drop a zombie when you DC that is there for at least 30 seconds. There should be a 5 minute timer between switching servers. If you DC while bleeding or within 15 meters of a zombie, you should return to a 5 minute coma. If you DC while in a Coma you should die. /thread.

Rocket gave an interview at Rezzed where he stated that 1.7.2 experiments with a mechanism that means if you DC to escape zombie aggro, that the zombies will be saved along with your character details. So that when you log onto another server... the zombies stay with you!

Further details here;

http://www.dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=30774

Sounds good to me. Although I do wonder whether it can differentiate between a player DC and a server DC. That server DC 90 second timer can leave a legit player in the doo doo!

As for some of the OTT suggestions in the thread... thank goodness Rocket seems to have more common sense than some of the posters here!

I think just a 10 - 20 second log-out timer is all that's needed initially. It's short enough not to be a nuisance and long enough to stop someone disconnecting while your shooting them in the face.

To everyone whinning about the timer and that they would surely die when logging out if they had to go. You are making shit up. Real life is much more important to you than this game and what people do in it? Then why do you care so much about dieing? You make no sense. First you claim that you are not a nerd that plays 24/7 and then go "my items are very important to me, don't make any changes to the game that would make me loose them". Either you care or you don't, can't have both.

I've played WoW for years on PvP servers. There was a timer. You could get ambushed any moment. And people just dealt with it. You absolutely have to go? Okay then it's more important than the game. You don't really care about dieing in the game in that situation. You have to go but you can delay it for 30 seconds to hide/finish up? Great you should be safe. And please, it's not like someone's gonna walk up to you at that moment for sure. It's gonna be rare.

If you have shitty net. Then what are you doing playing MP? You chose to play multiplayer knowing you have problems with your internet. You are the one that is going to deal with this your problem NOT EVERYONE ELSE IN THE PLAYERBASE. Exploits can't be allowed to exist because there are some people that have problems with internet/power.

To everyone whinning about the timer and that they would surely die when logging out if they had to go. You are making shit up. Real life is much more important to you than this game and what people do in it? Then why do you care so much about dieing? You make no sense. First you claim that you are not a nerd that plays 24/7 and then go "my items are very important to me' date=' don't make any changes to the game that would make me loose them". Either you care or you don't, can't have both.

I've played WoW for years on PvP servers. There was a timer. You could get ambushed any moment. And people just dealt with it. You absolutely have to go? Okay then it's more important than the game. You don't really care about dieing in the game in that situation. You have to go but you can delay it for 30 seconds to hide/finish up? Great you should be safe. And please, it's not like someone's gonna walk up to you at that moment for sure. It's gonna be rare.

If you have shitty net. Then what are you doing playing MP? You chose to play multiplayer knowing you have problems with your internet. You are the one that is going to deal with this your problem NOT EVERYONE ELSE IN THE PLAYERBASE. Exploits can't be allowed to exist because there are some people that have problems with internet/power.

[/quote']

I completetly agree, and let's not forget rule #1 ;)

However, death in this game has more effect then death in WoW, so a shorter logout/DC-timer would be appropriate. 10 seconds or so would be enough (which however still allows people to log out if they are shot at).

A timer would only help in firefights in the open, if the other player enters a room, you might not follow right after, hence giving that person time to logg.

To everyone whinning about the timer and that they would surely die when logging out if they had to go. You are making shit up. Real life is much more important to you than this game and what people do in it? Then why do you care so much about dieing? You make no sense. First you claim that you are not a nerd that plays 24/7 and then go "my items are very important to me' date=' don't make any changes to the game that would make me loose them". Either you care or you don't, can't have both.

[/quote']

I completetly agree, and let's not forget rule #1 ;)

However, death in this game has more effect then death in WoW, so a shorter logout/DC-timer would be appropriate. 10 seconds or so would be enough (which however still allows people to log out if they are shot at).

A timer would only help in firefights in the open, if the other player enters a room, you might not follow right after, hence giving that person time to logg.

It's not an ideal solution but a short timer would help in some situations so it's a start until there's a better solution.

[/quote']

You, sir, are quite the Sigmund Freud.

Ps. Most of what Sigmund Freud said was bullshit.

I have a router that sucks balls and occasionally drops all network connections. A timer on internet drop may result in my death but I'm all for a timer, a long one. Like a minute or something. I'm be happy to take the occasional death due to sucking hardware if it meant that when I shoot someone, they actually die instead of being able to Alt-F4 and scamper off to another server, or worse, scamper off to another server, reposition and then hop back to your server and nail you in the ass.

These noobs need to learn how to take it like a man, bring on the timer!!!

I have a router that sucks balls and occasionally drops all network connections. A timer on internet drop may result in my death but I'm all for a timer' date=' a long one. Like a minute or something. I'm be happy to take the occasional death due to sucking hardware if it meant that when I shoot someone, they actually die instead of being able to Alt-F4 and scamper off to another server, or worse, scamper off to another server, reposition and then hop back to your server and nail you in the ass.

These noobs need to learn how to take it like a man, bring on the timer!!!

[/quote']

I completely agree!

I completetly agree' date=' and let's not forget rule #1 ;)

[/quote']

10 second timer is enough agree. And the point is to get rid of people disconnecting while getting shot at. If they manage to hide and have 10 second before I get to them they deserve not to die.

You' date=' sir, are quite the Sigmund Freud.

Ps. Most of what Sigmund Freud said was bullshit.

[/quote']

That must be the most idiotic way of saying "bullshit" while trying to sound smart I've ever seen.

I think that the player should have to wait at least 5-10 seconds before getting disconnected. At the moment it's nearly impossible to kill the DC snipers unless you have a weapon that kills them in one shot, simply because they will hit abort or ALT+F4 as soon as they see you or get shot at.

It's a bit sad that me and my team have to base our weapon choices on the actions of exploiters. We can't count on killing them with machineguns or DMRs, and are more or less forced to go with the high caliber snipers because the piece of shit disconnecters will have time to log out otherwise.

I think that the player should have to wait at least 5-10 seconds before getting disconnected. At the moment it's nearly impossible to kill the DC snipers unless you have a weapon that kills them in one shot' date=' simply because they will hit abort or ALT+F4 as soon as they see you or get shot at.

It's a bit sad that me and my team have to base our weapon choices on the actions of exploiters. We can't count on killing them with machineguns or DMRs, and are more or less forced to go with the high caliber snipers because the piece of shit disconnecters will have time to log out otherwise.

[/quote']

All I know for sure is that this is one of the biggest issues affecting the gameplay at the moment. It really does occasionally ruin the experience. Let's not forget though that this is the point of Alpha testing. It gives the devs a chance to see the exploits and hopefully address them. Were lucky that this is a game being developed by people who really care so I'm confident this will be addressed in future patches. *winks at Rocket*

yeah im sorry, but i disagree, 30/60 seconds is too goddamn long, make it 5/10. Enough to kill someone that just logged out to pvp disconnect since he is not moving you shouldnt have any problems killing that person. But why do you even want to kill people ? Maybe pvp disconnect is a good thing, maybe at some point it will be so bad that people wont bother fighting anymore but run away from each other. i mean there still will be bandits.. but you know, just run away ;D

That must be the most idiotic way of saying "bullshit" while trying to sound smart I've ever seen.

Uh-huh. And how does that make you feel?

There needs to be a logout timer - simple as.

When you hit abort it should have a 30 second (minimum' date=' probably more) timer that starts and you can't logout before it ends.

Similarly if you alt + F4 you should stay in game for 60 seconds.

Exploiters will [i']claim that this will result in deaths from internet kicks etc.

But that's only because they enjoy exploiting ALT + F4, two finger salute.

The truth is that it's 2012 and internet connections don't suck anymore.

And hell, even if they did, a few deaths (probably less than 1%) from kicks is better than 80% of people abusing exploits that ruin the immersion of the game.

I know rocket is working on a solution, I'm just making this thread because I really hope he goes all the way to stop this behaviour.

There will be whining, there will be crying, but there will also be more carebears dying and that, I think we can all agree is a good thing.