TheMachine

I KNOW you're an exploiter if you disagree

I agree to the suggestion, provided that people who end process etc have their character stay ingame for 30sec minimum. A few people now and then will potential die from DC accidentally at the wrong moment. Even if the timer is 10 seconds it will be a big improvement, so you can finish off people who blatantly DC during gunfights, and people avoiding zombies will get hit a few times.

I'm sure your all aware this probably the single greatest problem DayZ has, and at any cost it needs to be stopped. Only a small minority, a tiny fraction of deaths this will cause will be due to acciddent. Besides, if you DC because of accident during a gunfight, you should't get special treatment. Let's see what rocket does, if theres nothing in 1.7.2 to combat DC, I will hit my head on a brick wall xD

was in the middle of a bunch of zombies. In 60 seconds' date=' I would've died couple of times I guess?

[/quote']

Yes, such is life. It's nothing new and I don't think it's solvable, I will rather die as "innocent" because my connection glitches (but I have never had it totally disappear from under me, sudden horrible lag has happened though [and is just as deadly if you're in a fight]) than watch the continued DC-wars.

The idea is good and I think there already is a 5 second timer' date=' but 60 seconds is too long. 30 maybe?

[/quote']

Except since we're usually talking about long range combat in PvP the timer needs to be a lot longer.

See my posts on the thread on the suggestions forum: http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=23764&pid=225467#pid225467 (there is more about the "clean logout" timer below)

Actually, how about this: If you have received damage within the past thirty seconds, disconnecting requires a ten second timer. From there, the more damage that you have received (by fractional increments?), your timer is increased by five seconds per increment.

For instance, if you are at 10,000 blood and someone shoots you, taking you to 2,000 blood, it will take you thirty seconds to log out. (Five seconds per 2,000 blood loss.) This wouldn't automatically apply if you were below 12,000 blood: Your timer would only be increased for damage received within the past thirty seconds.

Using this method, people who have sustained more damage in a firefight before attempting to abort will find that it will take them even longer to logout, allowing the deserving victor of a gunfight to have more time to finish them off.

This way people who are in the wilderness or simply need to logout in a hurry can safely logout wherever they are with the normal five second timer and not have to risk getting picked off standing around waiting for a thirty second timer, and people who actually exploit the game by disconnecting will still be caught and punished.

Reasonable?

I agree with the logout timer even if you end the game progress with altF4 or a ctrl+alt+delete.

IMO if you are so worried about losing your copter gear, more then likely this game is probably not for you. Most of the thrill of the game is that fact you can be killed and lose everything to start over. My heart goes crazy when I hear a gunshot near me or I see another player REGARDLESS of how close of far he/she is! The game forces you to pay attention and keep your head on a swivel! If you can just alt+f4 and jump out of a bad situation, then what thrill is that?

100% agree with op,. personally i'd like a 60sec timer.

Yes, sometime people will loose power/DC and die, but that will be a small percentage, but if it means that the people who log off to avoid death will die, its worth it.

You can't argue against a mechanic because of your RL issues with connection, power outages and alike. Yes its will be a shitty way to die, and that's a shame, but it will stop the alt-f4 crowd.

Its not the games/dev's duty to support your bandwidth/connection stability/PC, But rather your responsibility to make sure you have an adequate connection/PC to run said game,. if not, then you simple cannot play, sorry

When you are aggroed in Eve Online you can't log off for 15 minutes. Or you can log off and go cry to mommie, but your ship will stay in space to be destroyed.

Some people cried and the forums were busy for a while, but deep down, everyone knew it made the game better so they hardened the fuck up and soldiered on.

In a game where 1 shot could kill you, I think a 10 second delay is reasonable, but you'll still have situations where people will get away due to running into buildings and logging off. I'd advocate for a 30 sec timer, but 10 seconds would be fine by me. It's a tough world, that's why we are here and loving every moment of it. HTFU and keep it real!

People are making THE MOST EXCEPTIONAL justifications here for not having something to block alt + F4 pirates' date=' I'd call them tenuous at best and at worst, retarded.

[/quote']

False. Stop lying and insulting people if you want to argue well. Its not giving you any credibility and to be honest i was tempted to disagree with you on the basis of the title being "DISAGREE AND YOURE A RACIST PEDOPHILE TERRORIST COMMUNIST!" in flavor.

Are you trying to model your idea spreading on Mcarthyism? Because if so youve done a stellar job.

Anyway what youve said there is completely false:

No one is saying stopping exploiters is retarded

People are saying YOUR idea is retarded. There are OTHER Solutions that DONT harm the few and DO help the many. Im gonna do a you and end with this:

By your logic.

Harming the few and helping the many is BETTER than helping the many AND the few.

How about have a timer only if you engaged in PVP action? If another player shot at you or was within a certain radius the timer would be enabled? That sounds good for everyone involved.

My internet is pretty terrible. I get disconnected a lot from servers just over in Chicago' date=' and I live in Indiana, if I even manage to join a game. And I can tell you, that this will result in a lot of deaths. I know that this will solve the other problem, but which would you rather have, the innocent being punished and complaining on the forums, or the guilty just continuing to enjoy the game in their own way.

Try playing with less-than average internet for a week and see how this would impact your experience.

[/quote']

If you can't even properly manage to join a game, then don't play the game until you have a better connection. There, problem solved for everyone.

i do use the logout "exploit" because zombies are retarded(super fast zig-zag running' date=' moving through walls etc)

i will stop exploiting the game when the zombies do.

[/quote']

This.

no, just.... no. The zigzaggin is something players can and will do too. Yeas they're a bit fast but that never stopped me from killing zombies with an axe without taking damage (axe because I only wanted to fight one at a time... and yes, just as often I mistime and do get hit once or maybe twice before dispatching the zombie)

Glitching through walls will be fixed but is no excuse to act like lily livered coward: In my previous life I had just gotten my hands on a CZ550 and a zombie glitched to attack me trhough the wall, did I DC ? Hell no, I moved away and took care of the problem. Then a bit later when getting out of the building I was shot in the back, not dead yet (he was a lousy shot...) but vision totally blurred (I was already wounded before this) and no hope of fighting back properly, did I DC to protect my "precious" ? Again no, it would have been cowardly and dishonorable so I tried to turn around and then got the hourglass and soon after "you are dead", but it least I had my honor.

My buddy tried to flank the shooter with an axe while he was looting but unfortunate timing of massive lag (very lucky for the looter) meant that he missed (and then got shot, "Very sad life, very sad ending too. At least there is symmetry")

I don't get the "carebear" vs "harcode" vs whatever dynamic on this forum at all, the only group I feel "hate" for are the cowards who disconnect when things don't go the way they planned, I'm also somewhat annoyed by those that hunt fresh spawns on the coast "for the lulz" but since they're mostly avoidable and don't cause you to lose too much time even if they get you it's a minor problem (except of course for the total newbies but they *really* should get hang of the ArmA mechanics first, DayZ is a very harsh way to learn them and I definitely do not want it dumbed down: there are better ways to learn the basics)

Because of an issue with the current beta, my game keeps minimizing permanently or sometimes outright crashing the graphics driver.

This happens and I can't control it.

No, I'm not an exploiter.

I didn't read all 14 pages, but why not simple code in Alt-F4 as a kill code for the character playing? If you alt-f4 while logged in, the next time you log in, you're at the beach with a bandage and some painkillers.

I also support the idea of leaving your character logged in whenever you disconnect from a server (I'd say through the next save cycle, rather than save on disconnect.) If you aren't logging out in a safe place, then you shouldn't be logging out there. This would make it pointless to log out to avoid death, because by logging out in a dangerous situation, you guarantee death. That and server hopping for gear would take longer, and leave you at the mercy of the sweet spot you just left.

:dodgy:

If you actually kill someone, you should be stuck online for 15 minutes minimum. If you want to log out as a normal person it should be 1 Minute. :rolleyes:

If your internet connection cuts every 20 minutes, or your PC freezes for 1 year at a time, or you have Jehovahs witnesses knocking at your door every hour or you have the bladder control of a toddler, or your dog spilt your cornflakes over the keyboard, or ninjas are attacking your house, or your hair is on fire, or your mum's yelling at you that dinner is ready, or your retarded friend can't fucking call a taxi and you have to go out, or you can't plan meeting your friends and family and have them drop in on you, or any other number of RL situations which become imposed on you while playing your casual multiplayer game then tough shit.

Find a more casual game if that's honestly such a huge issue that it happens to cripple your gaming experience.

What about if the game rejects a Logoff if there is an enemy nearby? Kind of like how Fallout 3 works if you try to wait whilst an enemy is near. This way you wont die whilst sat on a timer.

EVE online definitely has some of the strictest anti d/c mechanics in place, and it does just fine, as do the other myriad of MMO games. It doesn't stop people from complaining about it, but it also doesn't stop people from enjoying the game either.

My point is, players have to deal with the risk if they want to play. "What if" scenarios have no meaning, because the mechanics will be applied to everyone once implemented regardless, no special exceptions or double standards.

1 minute timer would be good. The rare times that people don't alt+f4, the battles take a slow crawl after the first shot. So 30 second timer would be a joke.

Best would be a in-combat detection putting the timer at 5 mins or more and if combat state ends the timer goes to normal 30 secs.

1 minute timer would be good. The rare times that people don't alt+f4' date=' the battles take a slow crawl after the first shot. So 30 second timer would be a joke.

Best would be a in-combat detection putting the timer at 5 mins or more and if combat state ends the timer goes to normal 30 secs.

[/quote']

That would be nice, frankly.

Lets cater to the people with shitty internet...

NOT.

Because of an issue with the current beta' date=' my game keeps minimizing permanently or sometimes outright crashing the graphics driver.

This happens and I can't control it.

No, I'm not an exploiter.

[/quote']

So? Generally speaking despawning with a moderate server persistence won't hurt you that much. Just don't do extremely risky things as often. Plus, the claim that a feature is a bad idea because it makes the discomfort caused by an extremely unfortunate and unintended bug scenario more intense, is a bad argument.

Update your graphics drivers and hope that future patches improve the problem, don't request everyone else's play experience to be more shitty so that yours is slightly better.

"The truth is that it's 2012 and internet connections don't suck anymore."

Hahaha' date=' you are incredibly naive.

[/quote']

Move to a first world country and sign up with an ISP that isn't run out of a wood shack.

"The truth is that it's 2012 and internet connections don't suck anymore."

Hahaha' date=' you are incredibly naive.

[/quote']

Move to a first world country and sign up with an ISP that isn't run out of a wood shack.

I live in the UK, and stop being so ignorant. I don't have a choice, BT owns the exchange and is the company that throttles me. I literally have no option bar moving house - and I'm not moving house to play a video game.

I didn't say I wasn't against the suggestions, I just was making a point that you just proved.

This has potential for more problems than it is worth. The whole reason rocket removed the 5 second timer was because you could take gear out of someone's pack during those 5 seconds and dupe it. Also, there is never a 100% 'safe' place to log out, someone could find your body after you logged out and kill you. I'd rather not experience that. If possible it would be cool to see a feature that detects when you are suppressed by bullets and won't let you logout for 5 minutes or keeps your body in game for that long if you alt f4. Not sure how plausible that is.

Internet issues shouldn't be considered at all. If you don't have proper internet in your area, look for another hobby or move to an area that supplies what you need for your hobby.

This so reminds me of people in my little village in the netherlands whining about having to drive all the way to Austria to go skiing and the local government actually investing in a skiing park and then having no money for stuff that actually matters to people living in a flat no snow country.