DemonGroover

Day Z Urban Legends

I have a tale to tell ye' of the dreaded dew. There i was in Vybor, with one friend, we looted the super market, ran across the street to the school and Hory Sheet, I find it. I find a mountain dew, and stupid me brags about it, I dared not drink it. A drink of this rarity should not be gulped down, it should be savored. Just for a run down, we are on a private hive, whitelisted. At the time we were the only ones on. We head back to my camp and I stash the dew there. One tent, filled with as much medical supplies the whole of Chernarus couldn't use in a life time. In the other, M107s, DMRs, M14s, AS50s, 2 L85s, and much much more. I save the tents after this, wouldn't dare lose this. The server restarts and I don't even check the tents before running off to loot places. I go along on my business looting crash sites, and barracks. Remember whole 2 hours of this the two of us are alone on the server... together. We get done looting and drive back to the camp. My buddy had broken his legs so I thought hey, lets go back to the camp and get you some morphine. I drive in, happy as all hell, go to open my medical tent and what do I see... one bandage and one blood bag! there was the max limit of 50 general items in there, who could have taken all that? I check the weapons tent... 12 weapons missing!? the camp is close to 3000 meters from the nearest road, and is not easily accessible by vehicle, and no one man could have done this that quickly with a simple backpack, and even more impossible especially since no one else was on... I immediately knew it was my fault... I had caused this... beware the dew, leave it where it lies, let some other survivor suffer it's curse.

Edited by apostasy

Since everyone is talking about Green Mountain, I might as well throw in my own little weird happening...

It was my second life... (first life I spawned in the SW corner and headed west... into the undeveloped map are.. terrible first experience)

I knew Green Mountain was an obvious landmark, and seeing as I didn't have a map and I knew it had a military loot location, so it made sense to head there right off the bat. Not so much in hindsight..

It was probably midnight or so in-game, relentlessly pouring rain... I trudged my way through the forest, hooked through some villages and wound up on the east-northeast side of the mountain. I found the bisecting road that lead to the summit, and headed up south on the west side of the road. I was immedietly put off, because there was a flare glowing at the top of the road. Zombies were milling about, which I expected since there was a loot stash, but the flare indicated that someone was indeed nearby. I knew they burned for a while, but taking my chances was not in my best interest. I turned around and trudged back into the forest to the west, following a valley down the slope.

Out of nowhere, someone in DC whispered "...kkkiiinnddeerrppaaarrrttyyyyy....." (my old username) and I got wigged out! I knew it was someone who had been around the block, because they MUST have had night vision goggles. I could see nothing at all, nor could my cursor, so I booked it.

After running for only a minute or so through teh woods, I hear a truck, and see two bright headlights SMASHING throught the FOREST. Now, I've played arma a lot, and I know its hard enough to drive through a forest during hte day... but here was a full on 5 tonne truck coming straight towards me! "WTF how is this evem possible!" I thought to myself. there happened to be a random little shed that I tried to hide behind, and the truck came head on and smashed into it... I was fine after the initial attack, but he managed to track me down and run me over... Damn, that sucked.

So I respawn on the shore, and lo-and-behold here comes the truck again, turning me into roadkill.

Hackers. Brings a new meaning to the name.

• Like 2

I must admit, once the hacker problem is dealt with suffiiciently we will probably lose a lot of these urban legends.

If only hackers could be the "Scare the crap outta player" type instead of the Insta-kill morons.

I was poking around Cherno looking for some weapon or something, but instead I found a car. It was looking fine, all the parts green, fully fueled. In the storage, I found a revolver with a clip. One bullet was missing.

I have no idea what that was about, but I didn't touch the revolver or the car after that...

Now, I'm going to join what people are doing...

Drink Mountain Dew...

On Green Mountain.

I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Scrolling down the posts, I was expecting the next one to be a one word response from Pinkie: "Bad."

I must admit, once the hacker problem is dealt with suffiiciently we will probably lose a lot of these urban legends.

If only hackers could be the "Scare the crap outta player" type instead of the Insta-kill morons.

I don't remember who it was but there is this hacker on youtube who gives himself the most creepy skin, camo clothing, and a hatchet. What he does is he tps to people, plays creepy demonic music, then walks slowly towards players. He'll tp around the player until he gets close enough to kill him. He doesn't play in godmode so it's possible to kill him but most of his videos I've seen people are too scared to actually shoot. Btw congrats on becoming apart of the Forum Team.

Hi guys!

I went to GM today. I've never been there before but I heard that you can find some nice loot and even vehicles on that hill.

I had spent the night in the large barn just north of Green Mountain. It was about noon (RL and ingame) today that I decided to try my luck as the server wasn't much populated and the risk of running into a bandit was relatively low. I checked my equipment. Enough food, water, bandages and ammo for at least a day to survive, if something should go wrong.

So I started to walk along the fields to the northern road leading up to the antenna of GM. I took out my binocs and scanned the area. I was about 400m from the northern deer stand. No one there. Just the wreck of a humvee and a dead soldier. I continued walking up the road towards the antenna.

The last 40 or 50 meters I decided to leave the road and crouch through the bushes. Finally, I arrived at the gates. They were closed and about 10 to 15 Zombies shuffling around the fences of the compound. Since I haven't been spotted yet and I saw and heard nothing special, I decided to open the gates and search the buildings for some loot.

I stumbled upon a large pile of bodies next to the larger building and many corpses of dead soldiers with nothing on'em. Nothing to loot. Now for the tower. I climbed up, doors stood open and again no loot.

I climbed back down, got out of the tower and stood directly in front of an undead policeman. He aggroed and tried to grab me but I was faster and shot at him three times with my M1911, With every hit he took he screamed out like a wounded survivor! He dropped but was not dead yet, so I took a last shot at his head to finish him of. These screams! I never heard a zombie yelling out in pain before! That was odd!

I looked around the gate in fear of the attracted horde, but the zombies all moved calmly along their ways. No one seemed interested in what just happened. I turned back to search the corpse of the screaming zombie ... but there was nothing. No corpse. It just vanished.

Still standing between the tower and the gate, one of the shamblers moved slowly into my direction. I crouched silently back to the larger building to evade the zombie and watched. He moved slowly along. Into the tower. Up the ladder onto the catwalk. Now he stood up there near the handrails and stared down at me. He wasn't moving anymore. He did nothing but stare at me.

The same moment I heard a roar behind me. One of those hopping zombies had come around the corner of the building I crouched before and tried to get me. I should have shot him, but I was so surprised that moment that I started to run. I ran through the gates and through the zombies, catching attention of at least now 20 zeds all following me in rage. I ran down the road as fast as I could, hearing their footsteps and noises right behind me. A few seconds later when I reached the plains at the bottom of Green Mountain I peeked over my shoulder to match the distance between me and my followers - there was no one! Not a single zombie anymore! I didn't run through the woods zig zagging, I took the open road! But no sign of the undead was left.

I've often been chased zombies. Sometimes it took several minutes to lose just a single zombie in dense woods, so what about the whole horde on an open road?

After this I searched the internet about Green Mountain and some strange occurances and finally got here. Even if my story might not be the most interesting there is clearly something weird going on around Green Mountain. And after reading all the posts here I doubt I'll go back there alone. Scary.

PS: Excuse my boring style of writing. My native language is german ;)

Edited by Shavitz
  • Like 1

My native language is german ;)

Couldn't tell. Most Europeans with english as a second language are better than native speakers :D

Thanks!

I too think that without any glitches and so many people trolling on others, there wouldn't be so many urban legends. The game concept (or mod) is way too simple for it. Pick a map, spawn some random loot and zombies and put the players on the beach with nothing on them. The rest is up to the people's imagination and fantasies. Interesting to see, what people do or how they act after a short while without any rules to follow. Instead of helping each other to survive and working together, they quickly start to go wild and murder for loot. And for fun. Everyone is somehow selfish and doesn't allow if someone just has some better equipment. There are only few who try to help others. But still there are some! And this makes everything so fantastic. What is it? Total anarchy? Help yourself or be killed. Join a group you can trust and your're mostly fine. After some time without much luck you can easily get the feeling of being alone out there. You turn into a lone wolf that trusts no one anymore.

Like me. I've been killed way too often by survivors who cried for assistance or food and then got murdered for my help. I never killed a player and I won't unless I am ultimately forced to do. I try to avoid everyone and mind my own business. I don't care much for the survivors getting shot in Cherno or Elektro all the time. They will learn. They have to. I did.

Now, it's hard for me to team up with someone when I'm avoiding all players, I still hope of finding a good guy to hang around with. Who knows?

But back to topic: Anyone heard something new about Skalisty Island? I would like to explore but I have no boat and I surely will not swim and lose all my equipment on the way. But I'll try to find the mysterious axe-wielding priests. Maybe I can tell another story after my journey. So long!

But back to topic: Anyone heard something new about Skalisty Island? I would like to explore but I have no boat and I surely will not swim and lose all my equipment on the way. But I'll try to find the mysterious axe-wielding priests. Maybe I can tell another story after my journey. So long!

I got teleported there by a hacker. Nothing much is there. Just trees, a ship crash, radio tower and a few pigs. I had to swim from that Island and I didn't lose any gear.

So I was heading north and asked if anybody was in my area, someone sad he was approaching Green Mountain, so we decided to meet uo, I asked him if he knew about the myths surrounding this place, he replied Yes, that's why i'm going there.

I arrived before him, it was around 5:30 PM, so I waited on top of thw tower.

When the other guy arrived, he collapsed for no reasons, and died. I asked him what happened and he didnt know.

No need to say I ran the hell away from there and i'm not returning at Green Mountain anytime soon.

I got teleported there by a hacker. Nothing much is there. Just trees, a ship crash, radio tower and a few pigs. I had to swim from that Island and I didn't lose any gear.

Last time I took a bath in the ocean (after being teleported into open sea, camo change) I lost nearly all my stuff. It sank to the ground.

There was nothing? No green lights, mysterious straight-jacket-zombies? How disappointing... I should search further for the strange priests, instead.

And about the GM-Thing: It is very unsettling that so many people have been witnesses of the dark powers of Green Mountain. That place gets scarier with every new story I read!

Edited by Shavitz

I've heard a few things about Skalisty Island - first and foremost, you can sometimes steal someones chopper as quite a few players use it as a base camp. I've also heard whispers of a shipwreck.

My next X-File hunt is going to be around Namalsk - it definitely has a creepy atmosphere so lets hope some legends are born.

I'm pretty sure I just saw bigfoot on Namalsk

Fuzzy picture of some dark shape in the forest please?

there is a rumour of a custom zombie in namalsk that only comes out at night and can be found in the forests , it has red glowing eyes.

Beware of the tractor of death!

I was on my journey to search the strange priests when I found a tractor parked behind a small shed south of Vybor. It was in bad condition but, to my surprise, was driveable. I hopped in, drove around for a while and stopped near a small village to loot some food.

When I got back, I got into my nice vehicle again and wanted to venture forth. But the engine was dead. In the same moment I thought about how strange this was, I dropped out, fainted with broken legs and died within seconds. I don't know what happened.

I remember to have found a tractor some time ago in the same place, between Veresnik and Rogovo, behind that little shed on the fields just south of the deer stand. But at that time I had been shot by a bandit waiting on the hill, before I could check that tractor out. Yesterday was my 120th day of survival, one day after my visit to GM. The curse has taken another victim. Evil Green mountain! Evil tractor!

• Like 4

there is a rumour of a custom zombie in namalsk that only comes out at night and can be found in the forests , it has red glowing eyes.

Really?? gotta check this out tonight.... lets see if Big Foot Zombie has the balls to show himself to me!

My story is still completely unexplained, and left me with a very unsettling feeling.

This took place a few weeks ago.

A few buddies of mine and i were just sort of doing our rounds in the areas around Staroye, just sort of passing time. Three of my friends were in Ghillie suits, one was in camo clothing, and i was in regular survivor gear. we had stopped for a second in the trees so that i could toss my ghillie on as well. This is when things started to not make sense.

Considering that it is still an alpha, when things happen i dont jump to yelling hacker or anything. things happen. welp, when i clicked 'wear ghillie suit' nothing happened. i figured it was just the server lagging or something. three times later i still havent put on the ghillie suit and im starting to get frustrated. Then suddenly, the ghillie suit goes on, and instead of having 1 civilian suit in my gear, i had 3. strange i thought.

Just then my buddy yells in teamspeak "woah! there are two of you now!" as he is saying that i look to my left to see a ghillie guy standing perfectly still holding the same M16 ACOG that i have. I automatically assumed that i somehow just duped my character and got extra of everything. while i am looking through the clone characters bag verifying that it indeed was my character, it turned and looked at me!

Before we could decide what to do, this cloned version of myself unloads a mag and kills 3 of my friends. my other friend and i shot it down, but it didnt say that we killed anyone. the clone died, yet it didnt say anyone died besides the 3 that 'he' killed.

I dont know how the hell it happened, but it definitely freaked the shit out of us. How can a cloned character suddenly become animated? not to mention die without displaying a name? from then on anytime i am putting on alternate clothing i get ancy waiting for my evil clone to strike again.

Edited by -Guardian-
  • Like 7

How strange! There were many stories about clone characters doing scary things in the past, this can't all be BS... All these stories and all the different players telling tales of mysterious happenings, it's like I would read in a ghost-story-forum, but this is a game, right? Very odd, indeed!

Even if many things may happen due to glitches, this all makes the game sooo immersive and interesting!

Yeah i have no idea how it happened. i just wish i had started recording that day. This isnt a Urban Legend, this shit happened to me lol

You hadnt just been to Green Mountain had you? Or had a Mountain Dew in your bag?

Very odd. Ghosts in the Machine. Skynet is getting closer by the day.

• Like 1

All this Mountain Dew talk makes me thirsty. How fortunate a store in town always has some bottles to sell. I'll go there today and grab some, then continue to play Day Z. If this won't boost my luck... Currently, I'm on my way back from the shore to Zelenogorsk. Wasn't there something strange about the power lines? Or something happening to people who follow them? I read somewhere about it but don't recall where or what it was.