prod (DayZ)

Safety, Weapon Jams and Zeroing.

Safety.

Before guns can be accurately simulated we need a safety catch! 

A visible safety catch could also indicate a players intentions. While standing close to that player a click of the safety could also indicate the player has changed his opinion of you. I have accidentally killed a friend in DayZ from my finger resting on the mouse and I quite sure I am not the only one who has accidentally fired his weapon.

Weapon Jams.

Another aspect of accurately simulating a weapon is jamming. I have fired a lot of british army weapons and can tell you that gun jams are frequent especially if maintenance is not regularly and thoroughly carried out. Where as an AK has less moving parts and is much more reliable at least that is what I have been brought up to believe, anything based on the SA-80 however is total shit at least the A2 not sure about the more recently modified version.

I would like to see weapon maintenance be needed more frequently in order to keep jamming to a minimum.

Zeroing.

In the real world you cant just slap a scope on a weapon, dial it in to 300M and hit a V-bull. You need to find a tin can place it on a tree stump judge the range you are shooting, then set the range on your scope and fire and see where the bullet lands, adjust your sights and try again until the bullet lands where your crosshair was when you pulled the trigger. I understand this is an overly realistic feature to add but it IS realistic.

Personally when DayZ goes beta I expect the hardcore servers to accurately simulate firing weapons. I don't think any of these features are suitable for normal servers or players who think 3rd person is good for the game so please don't reply if you do. No offence intended.

I would however like to have these features considered by the Devs before its too late and too hard to code in afterwards.

Have a nice DayZ.

Edited by prod
  • Like 2

i can see it now, the day jams come out every gun will jam almost all the time

but in all seriousness yeah i would like all those, it would make you have to take care of your guns

In an apocalypse, I could imagine very few leaving their gun on safe.

And if you really wanted to, switching to fire mode could be done discreetly.

Really like the zeroing idea. Makes another use of paper/pen/nail/duct tape. Make targets and attach them to something. All the firing in order to sight in the scope could draw a lot of attention. Also could use up a bunch of valuable ammo.

The only feature I would support is jamming on semi and fully automatic guns. If the gun becomes damaged or badly damaged it becomes a straight pull bolt action (or manually need to chamber each round.

I have fired a lot of british army weapons and can tell you that gun jams are frequent

I laughed more than I should have.

But I totally agree on sighting in a rifle when you first mount a scope on it.

I have a neat setup my friends helped me with where I can take it off and then mount it and I keep my zero. For the fancier mounts you should have that advantage if a system for zeroing a scope was implemented.

ROE6iHvl.jpg

LIxqhjgl.jpg

• Like 1

The only feature I would support is jamming on semi and fully automatic guns. If the gun becomes damaged or badly damaged it becomes a straight pull bolt action (or manually need to chamber each round.

Very good point Which I forgot to mention!

In an apocalypse, I could imagine very few leaving their gun on safe.

And if you really wanted to, switching to fire mode could be done discreetly.

My mouse doesn't have a trigger guard and if you have ever walked three days with a rifle in arms you would appreciate where I'm coming from.

Another thing... Where the hell is the ability to switch fire modes in DayZ? I haven't fired that many weapons but I'm quite sure most fully automatic rifles have the ability to switch between fully and semi automatic?!?!

Really like the zeroing idea. Makes another use of paper/pen/nail/duct tape. Make targets and attach them to something. All the firing in order to sight in the scope could draw a lot of attention. Also could use up a bunch of valuable ammo.

Plus you gotta think about the type of player that shoots from 200M+, I bet 9 times out of 10 its a greifer shooting a survivor. Most people shoot zombies only when being attacked where a hip shot is enough to get the job done. The rifle does not need to be zeroed at 10-50M IMO. Maybe the sight that comes on the weapon would be zeroed thanks to its original owner but changing to scope would then require zeroing.

This is all opinion but my first statement stands. If you are the type of player who thinks 3rd person is good for the game I would prefer you to not reply to my posts.

Very good point Which I forgot to mention!

My mouse doesn't have a trigger guard and if you have ever walked three days with a rifle in arms you would appreciate where I'm coming from.

Another thing... Where the hell is the ability to switch fire modes in DayZ? I haven't fired that many weapons but I'm quite sure most fully automatic rifles have the ability to switch between fully and semi automatic?!?!

Plus you gotta think about the type of player that shoots from 200M+, I bet 9 times out of 10 its a greifer shooting a survivor. Most people shoot zombies only when being attacked where a hip shot is enough to get the job done. The rifle does not need to be zeroed at 10-50M IMO. Maybe the sight that comes on the weapon would be zeroed thanks to its original owner but changing to scope would then require zeroing.

This is all opinion but my first statement stands. If you are the type of player who thinks 3rd person is good for the game I would prefer you to not reply to my posts.

You do, it's actually as simple as moving your left finger from the mouse button, the trigger discipline young padawan is a mastery you must learn! you don't walk with your finger on the trigger unless you want to shoot. unless they'd implement camera tracking of where my fingers are. id rather they didn't put in trigger lock ;) After all Gun safety includes not having finger on the trigger needlessly, you are supposed to empty the gun for ammo/magazine(you know, for safety).

On some guns, I just press T(I think it was T, there should be something under DayZ control settings) to switch to semi automatic, not sure what all the weapons are that supports it in DayZ, I have tested it on AKM and M4 in the past and they seemed to work.

btw- I assume its okay if I find both gamemodes nice? :)

Edited by Zervox

+1 for jamming. Im ambivalent about the rest :)

There is a fire mode function. You can switch the M4 between automatic and semi, and the IZH-43 and Blaze 95 between individual-barrel and both-barrel fire by tapping the T button. Every automatic should be able to toggle fire mode, but last time I checked these are the only ones that can.

Ah ok, maybe I tested on the wrong weapon. Thank you.

P.S. I would love if an admin could correct the title of this thread. Can't find the option myself.

P.P.S Thank you admin ;)

Edited by prod

There is a fire mode function. You can switch the M4 between automatic and semi, and the IZH-43 and Blaze 95 between individual-barrel and both-barrel fire by tapping the T button. Every automatic should be able to toggle fire mode, but last time I checked these are the only ones that can.

Are you for real?

Safety.
Before guns can be accurately simulated we need a safety catch! 
A visible safety catch could also indicate a players intentions. While standing close to that player a click of the safety could also indicate the player has changed his opinion of you. I have accidentally killed a friend in DayZ from my finger resting on the mouse and I quite sure I am not the only one who has accidentally fired his weapon.

Weapon Jams.
Another aspect of accurately simulating a weapon is jamming. I have fired a lot of british army weapons and can tell you that gun jams are frequent especially if maintenance is not regularly and thoroughly carried out. Where as an AK has less moving parts and is much more reliable at least that is what I have been brought up to believe, anything based on the SA-80 however is total shit at least the A2 not sure about the more recently modified version.
I would like to see weapon maintenance be needed more frequently in order to keep jamming to a minimum.

For one who has fired alot of military weapons you seem to know quite little about how easy it is to turn off the safety switch, and they also guess what, does not make any noticeable click(unless the British military special order them like that) when you do, the entire thing happens to be turned on or off either by your thumb or your index finger depending on the weapons design, atleast in most commonly militarized weapons.

For one who has fired alot of "British Army" weapons you seemingly just couldn't be bothered to learn about trigger discipline, you know, in my country that would be enough for MP to hit you in the face with their weapons buttstock have you detained and thrown out of the army.

Nice input...

Real mature for someone who is suggesting a safety switch when it is as simple as moving your index finger off the left mouse button.

Ah ok, maybe I tested on the wrong weapon. Thank you.

P.S. I would love if an admin could correct the title of this thread. Can't find the option myself.

P.P.S Thank you admin  ;)

Had you bothered to actually read what I wrote instead of just jumping through it with a childish quote comment, you would've gotten that answer as well.

Derpa derpaderpi herp derpa derp.

I could literally go on all day about how obviously full of shit you are. 99% of your first post was utter bollocks. Not to mention your incoherent rambling in your second.

Trolling is only fun when completely retarded. You just proved that point.

I laughed more than I should have.

But I totally agree on sighting in a rifle when you first mount a scope on it.

I have a neat setup my friends helped me with where I can take it off and then mount it and I keep my zero. For the fancier mounts you should have that advantage if a system for zeroing a scope was implemented.

ROE6iHvl.jpg

LIxqhjgl.jpg

Beautiful M1A man. I'm guessing it's more of a defense rifle looking at the Red dot? If you ever get a real scope, I'd advise a Nikon. The glass is great and holds zero perfect. My dad had a Nikon on his rifle in Iraq and it never lost zero even through the concussion of carbombs. Also that's the beauty of Picatinny rails, you zero the sight and mark the exact rail notch you sighted it on, and it will be zeroed if you remove and put it back on the same notch.

And OP for someone who's fired alot of "British Army weapons" you sure do lack knowledge of trigger discipline. And unless the British Army weapons are like the original M16s that give of the huge CLICK (Most famously seen in We Were Soldiers) then nowadays its been changed to a near silent mechanism. And Jesus man maybe the Brits don't care for quality but us in America do, and very few of us have ever seen a US weapon jam unless it was under extreme circumstances. Also, can you state the name of the "British Army weapons" you fired? Because that's a rather large term you just applied. I, and I'm sure others here, have detailed knowledge of weapons used by countries in NATO, US and Britian are my best knowledge. Seems like your story's a bit off.

Edited by Owen.
  • Like 1

I could literally go on all day about how obviously full of shit you are. 99% of your first post was utter bollocks. Not to mention your incoherent rambling in your second.

Trolling is only fun when completely retarded. You just proved that point.

His "incoherent rambling" is correct actually. You seem to lack any knowledge of how firearms perform or are handled (kudos on the suggestions though, sighting should be added in detail) and your comment on "carry a rifle for three days" seems to reflect that you were military or are an avid hunter. Yet you say you hadn't shot that many weapons and fail to capitalize British and Army in all your posts. And if your in the UK, if you were not in service howd you manage to use British Army weapons if weapons of that manner are illegal for civilian use in the UK (ton of laws I dont care for since Im not in the UK). Some people here carried a rifle alot longer than 3 days and have WAY more knowledge than you obviously do on firearm mechanics. (Hopefully I'll be able to carry a rifle in service if I can obtain the contract I want. USAF PJ for me. You appear to be the troll, intentionally flaming with "if you think that 3pp helps the game don't comment on my post" remark.

His "incoherent rambling" is correct actually. You seem to lack any knowledge of how firearms perform or are handled (kudos on the suggestions though, sighting should be added in detail) and your comment on "carry a rifle for three days" seems to reflect that you were military or are an avid hunter. Yet you say you hadn't shot that many weapons and fail to capitalize British and Army in all your posts. And if your in the UK, if you were not in service howd you manage to use British Army weapons if weapons of that manner are illegal for civilian use in the UK (ton of laws I dont care for since Im not in the UK). Some people here carried a rifle alot longer than 3 days and have WAY more knowledge than you obviously do on firearm mechanics. (Hopefully I'll be able to carry a rifle in service if I can obtain the contract I want. USAF PJ for me. You appear to be the troll, intentionally flaming with "if you think that 3pp helps the game don't comment on my post" remark.

I attended Army Cadets. I have a German passport and was disallowed entry to the British Army When I turned 18. I won every shooting competition I entered for 5 years straight, I have hit a 10 round half inch grouping from 200M with iron sights. I know that a safety makes a noise when not switched very carefully. Maybe its you that has no knowledge of British weapons ever considered that?

I don't like being patronised by someone who is incapable of using punctuation correctly. Zervox obviously didn't read my posts thoroughly otherwise he wouldn't have spouted the shit he did and obviously neither did you.

Hopefully you won't get your license, one less trigger happy yank on a crusade over the middle east.

Alright, all credibility lost. Sorry, punctuation is for those who needed our help winning the world wars. Don't tell me about shooting or weapons, I've spent the past four years studying modern firearms and military tactics. I can put three shots into a five inch group at 1000 yards, I do long range competitions.

Man, going so far as insulting someone regarding their want to serve? What bullshit, your clearly a pissed off prick who's angry at life. Probably the best thing that the Army turned you down, there's no need for bitches. Yeah, us trigger happy Yanks also fought off "the mightiest military in the world" TWICE and were the only reason that your country even exists- in the off chance that you won WWI, you'd be under the nazi flag right now if it wasn't for us. Your clearly nothing but a self righteous failure, and most likely a damn liar.

Man I love that last remark, where's all the "trigger happy Yanks" who served on this forum?

/rant

Ps- If its deleted, I hope my post is nommed by OrLok:p

Edited by Owen.

Alright, all credibility lost. Sorry, punctuation is for those who needed our help winning the world wars. Don't tell me about shooting or weapons, I've spent the past four years studying modern firearms and military tactics. I can put three shots into a five inch group at 1000 yards, I do long range competitions.

Man, going so far as insulting someone regarding their want to serve? What bullshit, your clearly a pissed off prick who's angry at life. Probably the best thing that the Army turned you down, there's no need for bitches. Yeah, us trigger happy Yanks also fought off "the mightiest military in the world" TWICE and were the only reason that your country even exists- in the off chance that you won WWI, you'd be under the nazi flag right now if it wasn't for us. Your clearly nothing but a self righteous failure, and most likely a damn liar.

Man I love that last remark, where's all the "trigger happy Yanks" who served on this forum?

/rant

Ps- If its deleted, I hope my post is nommed by OrLok:p

Nice history lesson, while we're at it lets not forget that America is built on slavery and false flag wars. Go and invade a defenseless nation on the back of lies and propaganda. 

Edited by prod

I attended Army Cadets

Why do never served people brag about cadet service like it's a major milestone? Being a cadet, that is wearing a wooly pully and some DPM pants on the weekend does not make you a soldier. You have no military experience, do not imply so.

Hopefully you won't get your license

Good thing for him in the United States you don't need a license for things like owning a firearm.

one less trigger happy yank on a crusade over the middle east.

Did you forget British involvement in the Middle East or Southwest Asia?

• Like 1

Nom indeed.

Thread derailed.

Closing.

Feel free to try again but lets keep it civil next time.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2