harryzhe

depth and choice with weapons

God you sound like someone looking for something to stroke your ego.

Regarding the original topic, if someone has the time and interest, there are plenty of firearms available for use. Of course some will have similar roles and attributes to others, but that choice alone can add depth and authenticity.

In CZ alone, which to my knowledge the map is based off, contains a plethora of potential firearms. Just a few for note would be:

CZ 52 - Old service pistol which fired the 7.62x25mm round. (A few drop in 9mm barrels were made.

CZ 82/3(Civillian) - 9mm/ 380 and 32 ACP

CZ 75 - 9mm/ 40 S&W - More common worldwide as an export pistol

CZ 805 BREN A1 - Their response to the FN SCAR, visually similar.

Vz. 61 Skorpion - SMG, most know what the skorpion is.

Sako TRG - More affiliated with around the world for target shooting, offers another bolt platform with various ammunition types.

Again, they are just an example of what is out there without even going into civillian/sport models. The content in regards to weapons is there, it's just having the time and need to invest in them.

not a great way to open your very first post on the forum, but ok

the listed weapons seem right. Skorpion is already in arma though.

I've heard the infantry are complaining about the new bren though. We dont want to run the risk of a ghost recon situation where they add a ton of "near future" gun projects that end up getting scrapped :)

Not worried about how people on the forums view me.

Anyway, while the Skorpion is in ARMA, to my knowledge it is not currently employed within the mod, hence its inclusion.

With the Bren, it isn't a future project, it was adopted as the new primary assault rifle, made public last year in Feb. Unlike say the XM8 which everyone thought was going to be the next replacement to then see it cancelled.

In regards to the complaints, look at our own F88 (Modified AUG for others), It had various complaints and issues when compared to the SLR. You'll find most military and law enforcement groups will have some form of complaint/dislike to a new weapon when they had another for example in CZ, 50 odd years lol.

yeah, but for every example you can provide of a plagued small arm which ends up being ok, i can pick another example of one which gets cancelled. It's a bit up-in-the-air.. Aside from that the mood of the mod seems best carried by civilian type weapons, at least in my opinions and according to the thread, at least a few others. I'm happy to debate that though, i'm not gunna pretend it's fact.

Cool posts though.

I have to agree that I'd rather see the inclusion of civilian style weapons over further military weapons. However, replacing the American military weapons (M16, M249, M14) with more common european weapons such as the CZ range of firearms, some HK and FN rifles, perhaps the Browning Hi-Power instead of the M9... mostly because I don't see a reason for American military weapons to be located around Chernarus, unless they had a presence there in the first place.

Civilian weapons, such as hunting rifles in .243 W or other common hunting calibers, or double barrel shotguns, would fit in nicely with the 'theme' of DayZ.

the CZ range of firearms' date=' some HK and FN rifles, perhaps the Browning Hi-Power instead of the M9... mostly because I don't see a reason for American military weapons to be located around Chernarus, unless they had a presence there in the first place.[/quote']

In another thread i reasoned it something like this:

In a world-collapse scenario when nations started having serious resource management issues on the horizon, and serious stability issues, one of the first things that would happen would be undermining potential rivals vying for essential resources. I could see "proxy wars" flaring up where, for example, the US sends a lot of old equip to the chernarussians to try to undermine russia and introduce a friendly beligerent in a gas and oil rich region. This is like, during the "apocalypse" i suppose.

You gotta consider that even in the 2008 war the georgians were supplied with m16s and such, similarly the afghans in 1979 were given high tech american stuff - all to try to undermine the enemy indirectly and hope to bring about their collapse. Similar deal happened with the cuban exiles, etc etc etc.

In another thread i reasoned it something like this...

etc etc etc.

I suppose that's a reasonable case for there being American task forces in Chernarus, but I still think it would be nice to have the european weapons such as the G3, the FAL (just a normal one, mind you), and perhaps light machineguns such as the PKM, RPK, or MG3 included in the game.

oh, id never suggest not including european arms, i was just hypothesising on why it might be appropriate to leave western ones in.

Re: weapons. Anything from WWII, including the SVT, is moderately common throughout Europe. American weapons like the M1 Carbine were given to the German parks/wildlife guys and border guards during the Cold War, Greece had Garands, etc. The SVT would be a last resort though as that thing is LOUD.

Model 8s are in fact not all that rare, they were contract-built for Russia in 7.62x54R. Not sure how many remain in Europe vs. the US but I suspect they would be something you'd see from time to time.

Really, in order of commonality, you'd be looking at .22s and hunting rifles first, milsurp rifles next down the list (as they are very common but perhaps not as readily available or widely used), then older stuff following on. The exception here is the 91/30, which should be as common as the hunting rifles (if not the most common weapon). Handguns should be rarer, but still encountered with some degree of frequency. The occasional 91/30 PU sniper would be great, too.

The 91/30 should replace the Enfield in terms of how common it is, but one thing I would look forward to is a greater variety of weapons means there's a lesser chance of finding the weapon you specifically want.

Trying to find a CZ 550 but come across a .243 scoped hunting rifle? It'll have to do. Likewise, ammo for a specific type of gun would be come less commonplace, which is why DayZ would need an improved ammo handling system, so that you could use the 7.62 clips you find for a Mosin Nagant and use them to reload, say, a Model 8 magazine. For weapons that use ammunition that isn't shared by other weapons, I think spawning them with a good amount of spare magazines or clips would be the best way to go, so that the player isn't constantly getting into trouble just to find ammo for his rifle.

Or to find a box of 50 .22 LR rounds and have that in your inventory to top up whatever .22 rifle you have: in that case, boxes of ammunition would be a very high value piece of loot.

OP is a Sunn O))) fan, I respect that.

I don't know much about guns, but what he's suggesting adds to the realism and I'm all for that.

Well ah, the US did have a presence in Chernarus... it's kind of the premise of the entire ArmA2 campaign. So you'd be reasonably justified in having a few M16s lying about. Definately interested in seeing more civilian weapons though. And it'd be nice if the ammunition could be used across different weapons more than is the case now, I don't know how well that'd work though. One potential problem with adding a lot more guns, is it becomes a lot harder to find ammo for them if there is a similar increase in the number of ammo types. If you just increase the rate of ammo spawning overall then it'll probably work out to a surplus of ammo, as people won't be competing for resources as much. Right now if I have a winchester I don't need to carry enfield ammo, but then a lot of people probably have winchesters. If only 2-3 people on a server are using an ammo type its a different kettle of fish.

It doesn't really matter.

I'm told there WILL be a back story to this mod. I don't know for sure if it will place the players in post-soviet Russia or somewhere else, anywhere else in the entire world. I take it as a hint that western weapons are in the game for a reason.

Remember, this is still an ALPHA. The map, the location, the weapons, the skins, the zombies, *everything* could change.

well, true. My hypothesis was only meant to be a working explanation for why m16s and things are common. It seems to bother people even though imo it would be more immersion breaking if available weapons were strictly regimented by "whatever i found in this country's part of the list on world.guns.ru" - which is what a lot of people seem to want.

I love the idea of a .22, and if we are also talking firearms I noticed (because I gave this a quick skim read) I wouldn't mind seeing more semi-auto / bolt action rifles in the game (making the auto's a bit of a rarity) examples are, as previously mentioned the SVT-40, M1 Carbine, and SKS all which are very common firearms for the semi's and for bolt you could have something like the Mauser Karabiner 98k (or similar family of Mauser such as the 1900) or the Mosin-Nagant. I just am not a fan of the full automatic rifles being so common-ish, I would rather see some more semi-automatic only and bolt actions in the game.

Before this though, I would rather see the .22's first due to the fact that they are high accuracy, low recoil, and low noise (when compared to other arms) and would be very good for stalking prey (both Z's and humans) and could introduce a vast number of arms in both long-arm and pistol.