Boygor

980ti performance

I lol'd so hard at this while perusing the Steam page for Arkham Knight this morning with my coffee. Since refunding Arkham Knight to Steam before buying it from PlayStation Network, the comments on its Steam page have been hilarious. Warner Bros. is getting what they deserve. Apparently (among a plethora of other fails) they hired a company named Iron Galaxy and only gave them two months to port it to PC from console. Why do they do it that way, anyway? Wouldn't it make much more sense to build the game on the solid foundation that a PC can provide as there are far fewer constraints, and then dumb it down for PS4 and XB1? -_-"

Getting back on topic, I installed DayZ on one of my old computers (AMD Phenom II X4 955/8GB DDR1333/180GB SSD/2GB GTX 760 ITX). It runs fairly well on normal settings. Just for kicks, I yanked out my two 980 Ti cards from my main rig and threw in the 760. Guess what? Even on maximum settings, DayZ ran exactly the same as it did on the 980 Ti. This was pretty much what I expected, but hopefully this thread can be used in the future to address the many "can I run it?"/"help me build a PC for DayZ" threads that pop up around here.

ya, i saw that and thought "Grimey will get a kick out of this shit"...the only thing i can think of as to why they would have developed it that way is the obvious...it was cheaper, and they didnt really give a shit. really tho, the only thing i know is they certainly were not doing it to insure a quality product.

you have a good point, i have several of my old rigs about still (a couple in use) and it would be interesting to see if something like my old E8400/8gb DDR2-6400/4-74gb Raptor/SLI 8800gtx 768mb machine will run it in a playable fashion. if it continues to rain like it has been the last 10-12 days i'll have the time this weekend. i never sell/trade or get rid of my old hardware since regretting losing my ancient voodoo2 sli setup so long ago. i'm a hardware whore, what can i say? 

• Like 1

Yeah pre-ordering isn't really a good thing unless you know you'll enjoy the game no matter if the performance or bugs are bad at first or you know the developer is realy a trusted one (pretty much none of the big AAA devs).

Do you order a steak, knowing that you'll love it no matter how charred it is when served, just because it's advertised as a ribeye on the menu?  Don't compromise on quality, ever.  The people feeding you that shit will just learn that they can give you increasingly poor product for the same, or even higher prices over time.  Here in the US, our landfills are overstuffed with cheap, disposable household appliances because people have been taught that it is better to buy and destroy three $20 blenders every year, than to spend $60 on a blender that will last for ten years.

I lag like crazy and I've almost all graphic options turn off - and using the same setting as Frankieonpc.

It's def. memory leak issues in larger cities at the moment.

Turn UP your settings.  It works.

Apparently (among a plethora of other fails) they hired a company named Iron Galaxy and only gave them two months to port it to PC from console. Why do they do it that way, anyway? Wouldn't it make much more sense to build the game on the solid foundation that a PC can provide as there are far fewer constraints, and then dumb it down for PS4 and XB1? -_-"

Because money, Rick.  It has only been somewhat recently that the fringe market of gaming has started producing such enormous profits and gotten all the mainstream publicity from AAA flagship franchises.  Now we have a bunch of big-ass corporations just trying to make a fat wad of cash as quickly and easily as they can, to add more zeroes to the accounts of the already obscenely rich ruling class which controls much of their stock.  Remember, unregulated capitalism will always end up ruining the wonderful creations it allowed to come to being--in the intrest of squeezing out every last drop of revenue from anything that even threatens to become successful.  We must be those regulators that punish such hubris and greed.

Good on you for making the return; now that you actually CAN return games.  That's the biggest step in the right direction that I have ever seen steam take.

Returning the unsatisfactory product is step one, boycotting the company who was arrogant enough to think that it was okay to deliver you such crap is step two, telling them exactly what made you so displeased with their product/service is step three.  Step four is just being glad that you don't live in an area with an ISP whose service, and customer service are a joke, but somehow still hold a solid monopoly on broadband internet service.  To not protest, is to attest to your own complicity in becoming a slave of the market.

Edited by emuthreat
  • Like 1

Step four is just being glad that you don't live in an area with an ISP whose service, and customer service are a joke, but somehow still hold a solid monopoly on broadband internet service.

If a company holds a monopoly, especially in under-regulated public utilities, then there is little chance anything short of regulation or other government intervention could break such a monopoly.

Monopolies also tend to offer products far below the quality for which they charge as well.

:)

I lol'd so hard at this while perusing the Steam page for Arkham Knight this morning with my coffee. Since refunding Arkham Knight to Steam before buying it from PlayStation Network, the comments on its Steam page have been hilarious. Warner Bros. is getting what they deserve. Apparently (among a plethora of other fails) they hired a company named Iron Galaxy and only gave them two months to port it to PC from console. Why do they do it that way, anyway? Wouldn't it make much more sense to build the game on the solid foundation that a PC can provide as there are far fewer constraints, and then dumb it down for PS4 and XB1? -_-"

Getting back on topic, I installed DayZ on one of my old computers (AMD Phenom II X4 955/8GB DDR1333/180GB SSD/2GB GTX 760 ITX). It runs fairly well on normal settings. Just for kicks, I yanked out my two 980 Ti cards from my main rig and threw in the 760. Guess what? Even on maximum settings, DayZ ran exactly the same as it did on the 980 Ti. This was pretty much what I expected, but hopefully this thread can be used in the future to address the many "can I run it?"/"help me build a PC for DayZ" threads that pop up around here.

I don't even notice the difference between my 955BE 3.6ghz system and my 4.5ghz 2500k system on DayZ most of the time. Past a certain point I don't think it matters what your specs are for DayZ, you'll be limited by the server side and poor optimization rather than raw system power anyway.

• Like 1

I don't even notice the difference between my 955BE 3.6ghz system and my 4.5ghz 2500k system on DayZ most of the time. Past a certain point I don't think it matters what your specs are for DayZ, you'll be limited by the server side and poor optimization rather than raw system power anyway.

You're right, it definitely doesn't. I built my computer for 4K gaming; I just had high hopes that the sheer processing power of the 5960X coupled with the 980 Ti would somehow squeeze a little more performance out of the game for me. But alas, nay. :(

As this thread has discussed at length, I can't even play new AAA releases as lately the trend has been to release completely unoptimized steaming piles of shit, then take three months to patch them so that they work on a semi-acceptable level.

Woe is me. I'm so whoa.

You're right, it definitely doesn't. I built my computer for 4K gaming; I just had high hopes that the sheer processing power of the 5960X coupled with the 980 Ti would somehow squeeze a little more performance out of the game for me. But alas, nay. :(

As this thread has discussed at length, I can't even play new AAA releases as lately the trend has been to release completely unoptimized steaming piles of shit, then take three months to patch them so that they work on a semi-acceptable level.

Woe is me. I'm so whoa.

I've slowly made my rig a 4k rig.

DAYZ is playable at 4k.  but in the cities it get heavy drops.  1440p is much more smooth. 

I play 2160 when I am just messing around and meeting people.  when I know I am gun fighting  I play 1440p.  Just so I get less of a chance to have those fps drops (my SLI dose not work for this game)

GTAV

NVidia experience recommends I play with every thing on very high or ultra.  (grass on very high) in 2160p. 

I get a steady 55 fps with some drops down to 45, (Online not single player)

I don't think I spent as much on my system as you did.  but I don't see it as a waste of money.  I spend most of my free time on it, whether it is gaming or youtube.

Edited by raBit.

Well we'll all be waiting to hear when it will finally be fruitful to dump more money into our rigs; for purposes of DayZ.  It's still pretty enjoyable for me, because I've gotten used to surviving at 7 FPS.  Even these modest improvements that we've seen lately are a boon to my play experience.  Looking forward to having a reason to get a bit more modernized setup.  Maybe I'll revisit the idea a good few weeks after optimization is mentioned in status reports.  For the time being, I'll keep my Benjamins safely tucked away.