chrismgtis

Infected with Matrix Like Agility

We're not asking for a major change. We're asking for one or two very minor tweaks to make it even remotely possible to survive a zombie attack without a barn somewhere in "run 5 miles without a bug causing you to stop for 0.00001 and bleed out due to being hit in that 0.00001 seconds". That's not so difficulty done.

It IS remotely possible. I've done it a hundred times. With the new LOS mechanic it's even much easier than before. I think you are just being a pussy about it' date=' but that's just my own opinion.

[/quote']

Nice. "I think you're a loser, but that's just my opinion." Gonna win hearts and minds with that one.

Seriously, though -- whether you're the master shooters you all claim to be or someone who's tired of trying to draw a bead on a zombie who is juking like a running back, a zombie that tries to avoid being shot makes no sense. Fast, slow, irrelevant -- what we're talking about here is mindless undead things whose only goal is to eat you, so they should just make a beelines for you when they sense you. The zigzagging just doesn't make sense to the zombie motivation.

We're not asking for a major change. We're asking for one or two very minor tweaks to make it even remotely possible to survive a zombie attack without a barn somewhere in "run 5 miles without a bug causing you to stop for 0.00001 and bleed out due to being hit in that 0.00001 seconds". That's not so difficulty done.

It IS remotely possible. I've done it a hundred times. With the new LOS mechanic it's even much easier than before. I think you are just being a pussy about it' date=' but that's just my own opinion.

[/quote']

Nice. "I think you're a loser, but that's just my opinion." Gonna win hearts and minds with that one.

Seriously, though -- whether you're the master shooters you all claim to be or someone who's tired of trying to draw a bead on a zombie who is juking like a running back, a zombie that tries to avoid being shot makes no sense. Fast, slow, irrelevant -- what we're talking about here is mindless undead things whose only goal is to eat you, so they should just make a beelines for you when they sense you. The zigzagging just doesn't make sense to the zombie motivation.

Master my foot. I'm terrible at FPS games; play 'em all the time, still manage to be completely terrible. Don't get me wrong, I have my moments, maybe that's what keeps me going, but I am horrible at lining up shots if my success at TF2, MW, or even Tribes has taught me anything.

I still have no problem with turning around while running, lining-up the shot while backpedaling, stopping for a quick second, pulling the trigger, and dropping the zed. If I can do it, anyone with even basic FPS skill should manage.

Oh, and "You disagreed with my topic so I'm gonna report you for trolling" will earn just as many hearts and minds as his or my replies. So... yeah.

i agree to that, zombies wouldnt go any line besides the closest to their target, they are homing missiles of infectious rage, but i can guess that its pretty hard to let them run a straight line (there seem to be AI paths all over the map, and the zombies take these paths rather then just running straight to you)

The zigzagging just doesn't make sense to the zombie motivation.

The zig zagging is a limitation of the game engine / entities used to create them. It sucks as it is. We know this. They were cobbled together using a bit of "magic" and it's far from ideal how they work. Whether it makes sense or not is irrelevant considering that the current system is extremely limited in how it can be achieved, and what it can do.

What you seem to be asking for is a simple nerf to a very limited and broken system, and what I am suggesting, is that the system will ultimately be completely re-written from scratch in a later build. It will probably take a few months time, maybe more. It seems like you are missing the bigger picture here by focusing on the smaller details.

The zigzagging just doesn't make sense to the zombie motivation.

The zig zagging is a limitation of the game engine / entities used to create them. It sucks as it is. We know this. They were cobbled together using a bit of "magic" and it's far from ideal how they work. Whether it makes sense or not is irrelevant considering that the current system is extremely limited in how it can be achieved' date=' and what it can do.

What you seem to be asking for is a simple nerf to a very limited and broken system, and what I am suggesting, is that the system will ultimately be completely re-written from scratch in a later build. It will probably take a few months time, maybe more. It seems like you are missing the bigger picture here by focusing on the smaller details.

[/quote']

No, I understand what alpha means. I also know that the zombies are reskinned pigs. I am also not proposing any nerfing. I'm simply pointing out that the OP's suggestion is a valid one, especially since this IS the suggestion forum.

Sorry, I seem to have confused you with Marek who wrote the original post.

But still, you are saying that zombies zig zagging makes no sense and I am simply saying that they run that way because it was the only way they could be made to function. It was never a feature of design, it was a feature of neccessity.

Long story short: Suggesting that the devs fix the zombie AI is preaching to the choir. It's just a lot easier and faster said than done.

Yes, I understand all of this. I work in the game industry. You don't need to explain to me the difference between design and necessity. And I realize that all the players know this. But the question is, does Rocket know how the players feel about it? That is the purpose of this forum, so it is a valid topic to bring to his attention FOR THE FUTURE.

Discussing something is not the same thing as whining about having it done tomorrow.

LOL guys... the zeds are SO predictable, I don't see why they NEED to be changed.

Sure they are fast... But they are also predictable.

But I would like to know how to "lose" zeds, honestly I always end up having to shoot them ^^.

Haven't bothered reading page 3 or 4 but I believe the AI pathing is kind of off, but this game is in Alpha so can we really complain? I think that this should be worked on more than newer aspects of the game but the way the game plays now is perfectly fine.

But the question is' date=' does Rocket know how the players feel about it?

[/quote']

YES!! Because he feels exactly the same way. Or have you not been paying attention to the "it's a miracle he got it working as well as he did" conversation that points-out how they're still working on tweaking the AI?

But the question is' date=' does Rocket know how the players feel about it? That is the purpose of this forum, so it is a valid topic to bring to his attention FOR THE FUTURE.[/quote']

Of course he does, that was the topic of discussion in the thread where he talked about the way they (zeds) were built. (i've been trying to find the specific discussion but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack).

But the question is' date=' does Rocket know how the players feel about it? That is the purpose of this forum, so it is a valid topic to bring to his attention FOR THE FUTURE.[/quote']

Of course he does, that was the topic of discussion in the thread where he talked about the way they (zeds) were built. (i've been trying to find the specific discussion but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack).

Yes, OF COURSE he does, and I should know that because of a discussion you can't find. Man. Sometimes people in forums are so intent on telling someone that they're wrong, they're stupid, they should just shut up, that they don't even realize how flawed their condescension is.

[Then you're lying or have never played. Your name kind of speaks for itself...

False. Zombies do not lose distance when they stop to hit you. That distance is immediately regained within a split second.

I can tell you have not played this mod.

The fact that that distance is regained in a split second plus aim time' date= getting your weapon sighted and all of the delays required to shoot in Arma 2... not to mention that in the split second after they swing at air they've performed a ninja move to the left or right.

No offense, but your point is kind of well, pointless.

So, now that so many people have areed that zombies are fairly easy to kill if you just move back away from them, and now that you've had time to see that zombies are forced to stop when they try and punch a moving human, giving you all the time in the world to put a bullet into them while they flail at empty air... How do you feel about the number of times I've played the mod? ;)

Seriously, the advice I've offered is solid advice. You don't have to follow it, but I back step/run from and turn on zombies all the time. Works like a charm. "You've never played" is a... Well... It's a pretty bloody pathetic reply really, isn't it?

After reading this post log I would have to agree with white tiger. The zombie ai is annoying but given the time till arma 3 comes out it probabily will not get fixed until arma 3 comes out. That being said the only solutions that can be made are quick fixes that being simple fixes that might not solve the problem bit make it less noticeable. If anyone has played Zerg

on Starcraft 2 you will know what I'm talking about in this example. Right now zombies behave alot like ultralisks and players behave like those glass cannon marines, so just like in Starcraft the much faster zombie aka ultralisk gets in range to make an attack but due to the fact that it can't move while attacking and has an extremely long attack animation the marine can get away every time. Sorry to those who have never played Starcraft It must sound like gibarish but none the less it's the same issue. A solution to this problem would to make the zombie slightly slower than the person so that if it's first hit dosnt hurt him he will eventually get away and to either shorten the attack animation or if you want a more long term solution make it so it can attack on the move. Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

Run in reverse until the zombie stop to perform its attack animation, hit shift to walk and mash the left mouse button, you don't really need to "aim" to hit something that's 2m from you, you don't even need to stop, release the shift key and keep running and rinse and repeat until all the zeds are dead, took me my first 15 minutes in the mod to understand this.

I support this idea make them either slow or less... err... retarded.

Run in reverse until the zombie stop to perform its attack animation' date=' hit shift to walk and mash the left mouse button, you don't really need to "aim" to hit something that's 2m from you, you don't even need to stop, release the shift key and keep running and rinse and repeat until all the zeds are dead, took me my first 15 minutes in the mod to understand this.

[/quote']

Just curious ... are you playing on Regular or Veteran servers? Because I've tried this method on Vet servers and the z's are always close enough to get at least one good shot on me before I can kill them. I think they may move faster on Vet servers.

Again after hearing about Rezzed in the UK apparently 1.7.2 might have something in it that could change the way Zombies act and the way the perform in the server. Look up Rezzed.

Yes, OF COURSE he does, and I should know that because of a discussion you can't find. Man. Sometimes people in forums are so intent on telling someone that they're wrong, they're stupid, they should just shut up, that they don't even realize how flawed their condescension is.

Yep, it's their fault for you not having enough brain power to use the search function. Righto.

slow, fast, ghosts, ninjas etc. this is all bullshit.

the MAIN problem with zombies, that they are client-side.

if they were server-side(like mobs in mmorpgs) it would be possible to:

1 solve endless spawn via spawn timer for each zombie.

3 solve "cheating" via dc to drop em, because they wont disappear and will remain in the area

4 create towns with different population independent from quantity of player in locations("safe" and dangerous areas.

5 create horde invasion event.

6 create zombie-free areas.(like placing torches in minecraft)

Yep, it's their fault for you not having enough brain power to use the search function. Righto.

Hey, if the person trying to refute my point can't find the info to back up his argument, why the hell would I do it for him? THAT would be lacking brain power. If you want to search for "Rocket knows about how zombie pathfinding is screwed up," you go right ahead, Bright Boy.

Just curious ... are you playing on Regular or Veteran servers? Because I've tried this method on Vet servers and the z's are always close enough to get at least one good shot on me before I can kill them. I think they may move faster on Vet servers.

Completely irrelevant. The difficulty setting of a server has no bearing on Zed behavior. It really only effects HUD settings*' date=' such as no crosshair, or no nametags when you target another player, and a few other things that I can't recall off-hand. The game itself (including zeds) is exactly the same regardless of the setting.

*Technically it also effects whether or not 3rd Person mode is active, but every server enables/disables that setting based on whether or not they want it anyway.