chrismgtis

Infected with Matrix Like Agility

I guess everyone experiences this. I cannot be sure, so I'm not entirely sure of what to call this issue, but I will explain.

Infected are fast. Ridiculously fast. Ok. While I'm pretty anal about the "laws" that zombies can or should follow I don't prefer slow or fast zombies and slow would obviously not make sense here, but that's not the issue. So I'm fine with fast zombies.

I don't mind running. What I do mind is that in the split second that I pause running I get nailed immediately. I know the constant broken leg issue is getting fixed, but then there's the bleeding and the losing blood with each hit. There's absolutely no hope in stopping or turning around or back stepping while shooting.

The agility issue comes when you turn around to aim and infected move like a Keanu Reeves in the Matrix on Speed (the drug). There's no possible way to hit them moving so fast side to side like some kind of whacked out ninja.

I do like that they are difficult and mean and dangerous. It should be that way, but you have to draw the line at having a chance. If I need to use every bullet I have to stop them I don't mind, but give me that chance. Currently it's impossible until you slow them down in a barn or other building.

I also sort of want to propose different types of zombies: maybe make some of them slower. I don't know. There's ways to handle this and I love the fact that they chase you so vehemently as is. It's scary. It's difficult. This game should be very hard. But again, give me a chance. I don't have super human aiming reflexes nor can I walk through walls like zombies can (or under the foundation of a building like they do at times).

TBH I'm 100% perfectly fine with just adjusting them so that they run in a damn straight line or at least run from side to side like they currently do... slower so that I can aim. Even if they are already on my neck once I turn around to do so.

I second the OP. As it is now, Zombies are running around like goddamn... I don't know what. Ferrets? I'd rather that they were better at tracking you, along with better pathing, than they were this quick.

The zombies are rediculously fast. Late last nite is a prime example.

Dealing with some zombies I went into a warehouse. Obviously the alternative is to run for 30 min with slobbering sounds behind you. Which is scary all of one time. Then every single time thereafter is just horribly borning because you can't get loot and u burn all your play time just running trying to ditch them (because stopping and shooting this superfast zig zaggy things just doesnt work).

So I was in the warehouse... emptying all 5 rifle mags and all 5 pistol mags... which takes you hours to find for the good rifles and 30 seconds to use all up (because again all zombies in chenarus instantly come when you shoot once shot)...

...And then I hear a jeep. Suddenly all zombies start hauling off toward the jeep. I figure its worth a peek. SO I walk out and see... the usual zombie pursuit x25. As fast as you can run on land and the zombies can all get to you instantly... now imagine how many zombies were instantly at the jeep as it traveled swiftly down the road. AND THEY WERE KEEPING UP.

Zombies have no speed limit...

On top of that Zombies zig zag so much you can't stop and shoot them without getting mauled. I don't mind dying if I get a chance to battle it out. A chance to survive. If I was dumb and messed up... fine maul me. But every single time. All the time. Instantly there. Instant hits if you stop.

I'm all for the suspense of one life and even restarting. But it's a bit far out there to have zombies run so fast. They do more than just sprint. The travel warp speed. Slow them down please. I'm not a huge zombie game fan, I'm more into the persistent world military game aspect. BUT I'd gladly take more zombies in the game over zombies that move so fast even jeeps can't get away.

While I was jealous of his jeep, at the same time... dunno if I ever want to use one if thats just gonna draw hordes of zombies just as fast as the vehicle.

I'm not sure what's going on with you guys. Let me ask a few questions:

Are you running away from the Zombies? Because, you know, thou they can keep up with you, they always pause to punch you and then lose distance again, yeah?

Secondly, you know that, if you have a bit of distance that, while the inital pathing is confused (Sometimes they even run AWAY), they level out and run straight at you after about 10 feet?

I haven't ever experinced this problem. I have no issue shooting zombies' date=' no matter what direction they run. Sorry.

[/quote']

Then you're lying or have never played. Your name kind of speaks for itself.

I'm not sure what's going on with you guys. Let me ask a few questions:

Are you running away from the Zombies? Because' date=' you know, thou they can keep up with you, they always pause to punch you and then lose distance again, yeah?

Secondly, you know that, if you have a bit of distance that, while the inital pathing is confused (Sometimes they even run AWAY), they level out and run straight at you after about 10 feet?

[/quote']

False. Zombies do not lose distance when they stop to hit you. That distance is immediately regained within a split second.

I can tell you have not played this mod.

The fact that that distance is regained in a split second plus aim time, getting your weapon sighted and all of the delays required to shoot in Arma 2... not to mention that in the split second after they swing at air they've performed a ninja move to the left or right.

No offense, but your point is kind of well, pointless.

There's absolutely no hope in stopping or turning around or back stepping while shooting.

Your character can back-pedal at running speed (or close to it). On more than one occasion when running from zombies have I turned around to shoot at the one or two on me without them hitting me.

There's absolutely no hope in stopping or turning around or back stepping while shooting.

Your character can back-pedal at running speed (or close to it). On more than one occasion when running from zombies have I turned around to shoot at the one or two on me without them hitting me.

Sure you have. Because you can so accurately shoot while back stepping.

Seriously bro. Troll in someone else's thread.

I don't know what to tell ya. I turn around, back-pedal while I get the zed center-screen, stop for a quick second, shoot, dead zed. Sometimes I take a moment to get-up the iron sight if there's enough distance, sometimes I don't. Done it many times, will probably have to do it many more.

Just because you have poor aim doesn't mean I'm trolling.

I don't know what to tell ya. I turn around' date=' back-pedal while I get the zed center-screen, stop for a quick second, shoot, dead zed. Sometimes I take a moment to get-up the iron sight if there's enough distance, sometimes I don't. Done it many times, will probably have to do it many more.

Just because you have poor aim doesn't mean I'm trolling.

[/quote']

The fact that you just said I have "poor aim" when back stepping proves you're a troll. Seriously. Move along before I report you.

The fact that you just said I have "poor aim" when back stepping proves you're a troll. Seriously. Move along before I report you.

*Ahem* I repeat: "I turn around' date=' back-pedal while I get the zed center-screen, [b']stop for a quick second, shoot, dead zed." Mind the boldface. Also, I wasn't talking about in-game mechanics so-much as your own ability to line-up a shot. So again, I don't know what it is you're doing wrong, but I've killed plenty of zeds after deciding that there's no building or hill to lose them, and then trailing them out of gun-shot range of other zeds, without taking damage plenty of times.

And feel free to report my posts, watch how quickly the mods read my posts, shrug, and ignore the flag. You aren't gonna scare me with empty threats when I know that moderators aren't here to defend your posts from nay-sayers. Having a different opinion and experience on a matter isn't trolling.

Zombies zig-zag around you like crazy olympic gus on speed, yeah, its impossible to aim at them while they run at you, well, almost impossible

make them slower, just as fast as the player when normally running, and give them the ability to hut you whule they are running

also, mix zombie types (slow zombies which hit you for extreme amounts of damage, 1,5k or something, the current hopper zombies seem to be ok, and the fast zombies able to hit you while running, but making less damage and no chance of breaking your bon, or at least a very small one)

' pid='238671' dateline='1341325268']

Zombies zig-zag around you like crazy olympic gus on speed' date=' yeah, its impossible to aim at them while they run at you, well, almost impossible

[/quote']

When you're standing still and they're at a distance still, yes, their pathing is a little wonky (to the point where they'll sometimes run clear away from you before taking a couple of hard right/left turns to run back towards you o.O). When you've been running away from them a while though, their pathing tends to straighten out a bit more.

I agree with WhiteTigerShiro, I also have no problem killing zombies chasing me.

If you have any fully automatic weapon, you should be able to quickly turn around and fire off a burst before continuing to run.

Though, I wouldn't mind slower zombies. Perhaps just a little slower than the PC, but give them a ramming attack that knocks you down if it hits you from behind.

The way they strafe when they run to you is the most ridiculous thing i've ever seen! What Zombies would run strafe .....its stupid, the number of time we've shot each other trying to take a Z'd out.

Keep in mind also, that the zombies in DayZ mod were not created from scratch for the purpose of being zombies. As I understand it, the zombies are actually just a pig reskinned with a creepy skin and an AoE damage radius.

I probably don't need to explain to anyone that BIS didnt put much AI into their pig entities, as all they do in the vanilla game is wander around in a field. People keep insisting that the zombies need to be changed (and they do and hopefully will) but that would be a massive ammount of work to accomplish and this is just a fledgeling mod. Given time, maybe we will get something better, but for now I think we are extremely limited with what can be done to zombie behavior. In fact I think rocket has pulled off a minor miracle to even get them working as well as he has...

The way they strafe when they run to you is the most ridiculous thing i've ever seen! What Zombies would run strafe .....its stupid' date=' the number of time we've shot each other trying to take a Z'd out.

[/quote']Why would you point your guns at each other? Reposition, or wait until the zed isn't between you and the other guy. Seriously, tricking a clumsy opponent 101 is to run between two enemies and then dodge out of the way so they attack each other, and you're letting the AI do it to you without it even trying to?

Come on, this is basically a survival sim; would you honestly pull the trigger on anything when your friend is also in the path of the bullet in real life? This isn't even about the AI pathing being kinda wonky anymore, that's just the first and most basic rule of gun safety; never point a gun at anything or anyone you don't plan to shoot, even when you know it isn't loaded. If you're shooting at each other trying to hit a zed, re-evaluate your playing style from firing wildly to checking your shots.

Keep in mind also' date=' that the zombies in DayZ mod were not created from scratch for the purpose of being zombies. As I understand it, the zombies are actually just a pig reskinned with a creepy skin and an AoE damage radius.

I probably don't need to explain to anyone that BIS didnt put much AI into their pig entities, as all they do in the vanilla game is wander around in a field. People keep insisting that the zombies need to be changed (and they do and hopefully will) but that would be a massive ammount of work to accomplish and this is just a fledgeling mod. Given time, maybe we will get something better, but for now I think we are extremely limited with what can be done to zombie behavior. In fact I think rocket has pulled off a minor miracle to even get them working as well as he has...

[/quote']

A very fair point, as well. Arguing about the zombie AI is kinda moot given that Rocket himself has said that he's putting a lot of effort into fixing their AI; and it's entirely likely that we won't see the AI really get fixed until Arma 3 comes out (later this year, I think) and the mod gets ported over to that game.

Keep in mind also' date=' that the zombies in DayZ mod were not created from scratch for the purpose of being zombies. As I understand it, the zombies are actually just a pig reskinned with a creepy skin and an AoE damage radius.

[/quote']

We're not asking for a major change. We're asking for one or two very minor tweaks to make it even remotely possible to survive a zombie attack without a barn somewhere in "run 5 miles without a bug causing you to stop for 0.00001 and bleed out due to being hit in that 0.00001 seconds". That's not so difficulty done.

I like zombies the way that they are. I just want a minor tweak. Coding such a minor change isn't as difficult as people make programming out to be. :)

just make them a little bit slower, really, they are so fast they run TWICE as fast as you (they stop as much as they run when behind you)

just make them maybe 1.2 times as fast as the player, this would fix a LOT for me

however, make more zeds spawning in balance for that, and let them run in buildings^^

We're not asking for a major change. We're asking for one or two very minor tweaks to make it even remotely possible to survive a zombie attack without a barn somewhere in "run 5 miles without a bug causing you to stop for 0.00001 and bleed out due to being hit in that 0.00001 seconds". That's not so difficulty done.

I like zombies the way that they are. I just want a minor tweak. Coding such a minor change isn't as difficult as people make programming out to be. :)

I've probably aggroed zeds a dozen times without a weapon (and since I often take-off running full tilt when I aggro while unarmed' date=' I sometimes build-up quite the train of them) and every time I've shaken them without problem within a half-mile's running distance; possibly less than that, since I don't have exact measurements (point is, it isn't that far; certainly less than 5 miles by leaps and bounds).

Run for a two-entrance building, or run for the hills (literally); neither are often very far in any given area that you're likely to risk zed aggro.

[hr']

' pid='238915' dateline='1341327677']

just make them a little bit slower' date=' really, they are so fast they run TWICE as fast as you (they stop as much as they run when behind you)

[/quote']

I can agree to that being a little silly. I say make them run at the same pace as the player, and they just keep-up.

I agree with the whitetigershiro, even if you agrro a zed they are laughably easy to kill, sure they zig zag, but get use to it, they do it all the time and the back pedeling stop and shoot tactic works perfectly fine, and if you have to bullet find a steep incline and they fall to their doom. and you said you dont like shooting a zed in Cherno and having them all come... theres a simple solution.... dont go to fucking cherno or electro. I have been alive for 25 days now, I still havnt found a DMR, Heli crash or NVGs yet I survive.... i have hundreds of zed kills, its really not that hard....

It IS remotely possible. I've done it a hundred times. With the new LOS mechanic it's even much easier than before. I think you are just being a pussy about it, but that's just my own opinion.

I can too or am I trolling as well? You guys do realize that zombies were never to meant to be on a game like Arma 2 so naturally there animations and they function are goin to be clunky and need fixing. I swear sometimes, these forums.