Julianwop (DayZ)

Soft skill - Crafting and re-using ammo.

Hey guys, Julian here again, I've got another idea that I think might be kind of cool to have in-game. 

Crafting your own ammo - a soft skill

What if they did like in Fallout New Vegas, gave you the possibility to craft your own ammo, from other types of ammo. 

Let's say you've found some 9mm ammo, but you need .357 bullets for your Magnum/Repeater instead.
Take the gunpowder and bullet, find some empty/used .357 cartridges/shells, a workbench and maybe some tools required to do the actual crafting.

Bullet dimension for 9mm is .356, bullet dimension for 38 special is .357. If you reload you can typically use the same bullets for 9mm Makarov, 9mm Luger, 38 Special, 38 Super, 357 sig, 9x25 Dillon and 357 magnum. I feel certain I missed a few calibers, but you get the general idea.

It all depends on the caliber of the bullet, not the cartridge.

And it should all be done with soft skills leveled over time, think Skyrim, the more you use the skill, the higher chance you get in successfully creating functioning ammo.

Higher skilled ammo crafters could create f.ex worn (and eventually if skilled enough, and/or by a % chance) pristine ammo.

And the other way around; Let's say you're a low-skill/novice ammo-crafter, then there should be a slight chance that you damage/ruin your weapon if using self-made (damaged/ruined, based on skill) ammo. Maybe even causing you to take damage because of it.

Other additions to soft skill-crafting using gunpowder could be improvised pipe-bombs with triggers(tripwire, lead pipe, a battery, gun powder), improvised flashbangs, improvised flares and so on. Sky's the limit. 

- Julian

Edited by Julianwop
  • Like 2

This isnt skyrim, or Fallout NV, thats the problem.

These are SURVIVORS. 95% of people in the WORLD would have no feasible clue on how to "create" ammunition. (random number I drew there, but im pretty sure im not that terribly far off.)

This game is designed to be hard, and to find ammo, scavenge and such. 

I just cant feasibly see this in the game. The devs are trying to make it HARDER for players to survive, not to make them rambo decked out with unlimited ammo.

Edited by Syphonz
  • Like 2

I'm sure 95% of the current population(as it is in real life right now) would have no idea how to do this,

but you fail to consider that those remaining survivors we're playing in DayZ have already been surviving the apocalypse for a few years.

(pulling this number from my ass) but look at the environment, the overgrowth, the rusty cars, etc,

obviously the apocalypse isn't something very fresh.

And I do believe they will add some sort of soft skills to your character creation menu later during development.

It makes sense that someone who's been alive for years in an apocalyptic environment have picked up a skill or two, be it from other survivors, military personel, medical personel, and so forth. 

Also, in real life you can actually fire 9mm without hassle from a .357 revolver.

No need to change cartridges even. Not necessarily good for your gun, but it works. 

So no, I don't see it as unrealistic or too easy at all, quite the contrary. 

I think you should be able to choose lets say 2 minor and maybe 1 major skills, out of maybe 10. It would increase the chance for people wanting to group up with players with a skillset they might be in need of. 

And all skills should have upsides and downsides.

The downside of the skill I have created here would be the gun blowing up in your face, potentially breaking arms or killing you. 

Besides, you would still have to scavenge for everything, the way I put it it's actually harder than the vanilla gameplay, because you'd need 2 matching types of ammo to be able to create more of one. You would need x amount 9mm, tools, a workbench, + empty cartridges from the ammo-type you want to end up with. 

AND when you finally gather all this stuff (you have to remember, you have to carry this around, sacrificing valuable slots in your inventory you could have used to carry food, drinks, etc. Is it really worth it?) it could potentially kill you as soon as you try it out. 

Still too easy for you? :)

edit: something happened to the format..

Edited by Julianwop

"95% of people have no idea how to do this" isn't a very good argument. I'm pretty sure that 95% of people couldn't tan leather, and I've got no idea how to make a fire without a match. Certainly I wouldn't stand a chance with a pile of soggy bark and a couple of twigs. I also wouldn't know how to apply a saline bag or where to stick an autoinjector. It's a silly argument.

I wouldn't mind seeing ammo crafting in the game provided that the ammo you craft is of inferior quality to the ammo you can find. Think Metro 2033 where pristine ammo is like gold and really packs a punch, but most people have to use home made ammo made from old casings.

Certainly shotgun shells should be craftable.

Some time down the line workshops are being introduced. I could definitely see ammo crafting being introduced then.

Edited by BeefBacon

These are SURVIVORS. 95% of people in the WORLD would have no feasible clue on how to "create" ammunition. (random number I drew there, but im pretty sure im not that terribly far off.)

I just cant feasibly see this in the game. The devs are trying to make it HARDER for players to survive, not to make them rambo decked out with unlimited ammo.

95% of people couldn't do this. But you're forgetting that our survivors are not ordinary people by a long stretch. There is no human being on the world that would be able to fire a gun accurately at long ranges the first time they picked one up, especially a high-caliber and/or automatic weapon. The same with cleaning a weapon, or skinning an animal, tanning leather, repairing a car, running long distances etc. Even seemingly simple things like sewing to repair clothes would be difficult for some people at first. And if you're talking about everyone in the world, only about 50% if people in the world know how to drive a car. By your logic shouldn't only half of our characters know how to drive? Edited by OnionOfShame

95% of people couldn't hit a target with a gun past thirty meters, either.

Or know how to reload them without error.

Or how to tan leather.

Or know the difference between 7.62x54r and 7.62x51mm.

Or know how to zero a rifle scope. 

Or swap out the handguards on a Kalashnikov.

Or how to craft clothing out of hides.

Or could sew their own wounds shut with a sewing kit. 

Or start a fire with bark and a stick.

Or dress an animal they killed.

Or make a backpack out of burlap and sticks. 

• Like 1

Reloading should be possible if you find a press (same size as small tent and placed as a base addon) powder (small 1x3 item,) and an empty inventory slot where used rounds could collect. You could then stack the ones you catch like normal ammo, place them in the press with the powder, and use scroll menu to press. Done.

And please no to skills. You don't live long enough to level up.

i love reloading in New Vegas, and in real life, people making special loads for handguns/rifles and shot gun loads from trash (plastic slugs and cut up coins)

honestly its not that hard to reload, all you need is a primer, case, powder, bullet, and a press

if you laid out all the things on a table im sure most people who looked at it would understand how to put it together (might put a shit ton more grains but it would still fire)

they could even put in a grain manual to show how many grains for certain rounds, but make it be in Russian, except for numbers and such

but if they added this i would want them to add a lot of ammo types, like New Vegas

(also just saying, i never really talked about Las Vegas before so anytime i mention it i say New Vegas on accident)

(man i really liked rainbow six new vegas!) -.-