Sign in to follow this  
minibeast909

Food and water help?

I just started to play the dayz mod on a Vanilla server, and for all intents and purposes its the most raw dayz experience server i could find: You start with 2 bandages and 10 flares. While playing and trying to gather gear, I noticed that food and water went down fast, but more specifically water. I could barely travel from one town to another before I was forced into a scramble to find supplies or a water pump. So my question to you veterans out there is this: How do you deal with this? 

I really want to get beyond the basic food and water search and attempt to accumulate some of the cooler gear out there but every time I come alive there is a mad cycle I always go through:

1) Spawn

2) Go to nearest town to get basic gear (Such as Kamenka)

3) Travel to bigger town to get better gear (Zelenogorsk)

4) Pursue a mad scramble to find water and get killed in the process.

5) Wash my hands and repeat 

Guidance would be much appreciated.

try dayz standalone.  I hear food is everywhere.

HAHAHA Yea , Food and Tears because it was to hard for the kiddies , Gawd forbid you pick up a farming hoe before you race off to the closest military base. :)

You can use water bottles that I tend to find mostly in supermarket shops. Most come broken so you'll need duct-tape to fix them. After that, you can fill them  and boil the water (have a empty tin can in your inventory) in order to have safe, transportable drink. Soda cans help a bit but water is the best way.

You can fill the water bottles at a pump which should be safe water. Once somehow I managed to get infected though, perhaps a bug or maybe because I was attacked by Z' after filling up, dunno. Either way, I boil all my water. You can also fill at a lake, puddle or whatever water source except the sea. However that water is very likely to be infected so needs to be boiled 100%.

Also, having a spare duct tape helps as bottles to break as well. Goodluck.

On a sidenote, in the military we learned the so called 'Rule of 3'; a human's survival basics are indexed as following in order of priority:

3 minutes without air.

3 hours without proper body temperature.

3 days without water.

3 weeks without food.

Of course these are variable based on the environment, i.e. running in the jungle won't last you 3 days without water. However in DayZ food and water demands are a bit exaggerated in my opinion. Especially food.

Good luck and have fun playing the game!

Edited by Fulcrum