Sign in to follow this  
BioRuins

Frequent BSOD when alt-tabbing out of DayZ

Hello,

A friend suggested I post here, but I've been sort of leaving it as a last resort - since I don't really use the Forums much at all aside from lurking.

However, I've run out of options now.

I'm experiencing a frequent BSOD. So far, its only happened when playing DayZ and alt-tabbing out to desktop. It doesn't happen every time. Most of the time I can go the entire time without experiencing BSOD. However, its happened enough for it to become sort of a problem. 

I don't know what information might be needed to help. Here's some stuff, if you need anything else I'll try my best to find it. 

Specs: 

CPU - AMD Phenom II

GPU - Nvidia GTX 650

Mem - 8GB RAM 

OS - Windows 7 Professional 

I also have an SSD with my OS, DayZ, and a few other programs, and an HD with everything else... if that matters. 

Stop error code: 0X0000003B

Crash dump analysis (from WhoCrashed): 

On Sat 5/16/2015 12:24:36 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\051515-4664-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0x22C9ED)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF9600031C9ED, 0xFFFFF88008865140, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\win32k.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Multi-User Win32 Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time. 

I have about five crash dump analysis, but they all say the same thing. 

Things I've tried: 

Removing/Reinstalling DayZ

Running "check for solutions" in Action Center & fixing anything that popped up there (which happened to be outdated USB drivers) 

Checked & updated all drivers in device manager.

Note: I can't really run a recovery or restore. This is a new copy of Windows 7 that I have installed on this machine, and the problems began after installing this. I really don't want to go through reinstalling Win7 again, if possible. That was a battle in its own and took roughly 40 hours. So, hopefully we can avoid this? I dunno. Any help at this point is appreciated. Thanks guys! 

From what I can gather it's an outdated driver...

Try updating all your drivers?

its probably something interfering with your drivers in this case rather then an actual out of date driver,

what security software are you running (antimalware/ antivirus and firewall)

what background processes are running at the same time as playing the game

have you ran scandisk and memory tests 

have you run sfc /scannow

• Like 1

I've updated all of the drivers already.

I generally dont run anti virus/malware software constantly, only when I need to.

Aside from the standard programs, I guess I have chrome(usually with Pandora), TS or Skype, Fraps, DisplayFusion & Razer Synapse open in the background as well.

Just did the memtest and sfc. Memtest came back fine, and sfc /scannow showed no integrity errors. 

This was a clean version of Windows 7 Pro that I installed from an iso/USB. I noticed that it was roughly 20 updates behind, so I've gotten it caught up now and I'm hoping that solves it. I'm not sure if that would cause this issue or not?

If it happens again, I'll run scandisk and see what that shows. I haven't done that yet. I guess worst case scenario, I could just start over (again) and reinstall Windows. Thanks for the tips :)

Edited by Tektraa

hi 

i would just like to say that Razer Synapse has been known on occasion to mess about with DayZ 

i would suggest running without Fraps, DisplayFusion & Razer Synapse in the background just to rule them out then start one by one 

• Like 1

Do you by chance have mbam ( Malwarebytes Anti Malware ) installed? Apparently the newest version is causing this bsod code.