Sign in to follow this  
Elmisfitivo

QoL Changes for Apple/Berry Foraging

This currently applies to apple trees and berry bushes but can extend to all planned foraging aspects (nutsack trees up north, anyone?). Currently, searching either the apple trees or berry bushes has a ~15-20% (personal experience, I may be wrong) chance of finding food. Instead of a flat % increase, which could easily devalue other forms of finding food, I believe either the animation event or the quantity of found food could be changed.

For the animation: you press "F", begin x second long animation, and the server tells you whether or not you found anything. I think a big quality of life improvement could either be a longer animation, with multiple chances of finding food, or an "endless" animation that stops when you "cancel current action". The way latter would work: press "F", begin animation, every x seconds server decides if you find anything. The problem I see is players entering the animation and alt-tab'ing. However, I don't believe this will be an issue since tabbing out of DayZ while standing and moving makes you very visible.

For the quantity of food idea: if the server determines you were successful at foraging, it rolls a 1-5 to determine how many apples/berries/planned foods you found. This would be a pretty decent QoL improvement, while still keeping the chances of finding food low (personal opinion, but to me it feels like the current foraging system is designed as either a "fresh spawn get started" leg-up or a "I got shot and all my food is ruined" scenario.)

As of right now this suggestion is somewhat pointless, but with the implementation of a working CLE more players will (hopefully, but with as many that starved on .55 release it's up for debate) go back to searching trees and bushes while trying to survive.

tl;dr... What's a nutsack tree?

• Like 1

tl;dr... What's a nutsack tree?

I am..... conflicted. And concerned