Sign in to follow this  
J4G

Item degeneration and maintaining

Item degeneration from pristine to ruined in certain time frame.

I use tent as examble and i presume that tents stay 10 days in database if it stays untouched in 0.55.
Pristine tent will downgrade to worn in 2,5 days(or 60 hours) .

After 5 days from start we have damaged tent. Now its good time to fix your tent.
7.5 days and we have badly damaged tent and all the items stored at tent starts to downgrade.
Now you have to hurry to fix your tent with leather sewing kit (or tent repair kit.)
After 10 days tent is ruined, most of the stored items are also  ruined.  
Tent is unfixable now, but you might have time to save few most durable items from your tent.
Tent will disappear after everything in tents inventory is ruined.

So every item have own time frame how they downgrades as other end, where meat will downgrade every hour or so.
Same should apply bags and other containers.

Also this might help for this ridiculous amount of hoarding that happens.
So if you have lots of tents just moving one item in inventory everyweek dont help and you need keep moving to get equipments to maintain your camp.

Bigger camp means more work to maintain.

Few possible exambles:  (assuming still that ten days is max. time)

Raw meat: 4 hours no fix, make jerky.
Fruits: 24 hours no fix, cut seeds off and grow new.
Maps books and paper: 48 hours
Clothes: 4 days, one level every day, fixing with seving kit.
Guns: 10 days also, attachment could ruin earlier, like in week. Fixin with gun cleaning kit.
Bear trap 10 days, fix it with oil (or lard?) and wrench.

Etc.

These times are just exambles to get basic idea, not really suggestions.

What does survivors think?

I really don't like this idea pretty sure a tent won't be completely ruined in a little over a week. If people want to hoard let them

• Like 2

I really don't like this idea pretty sure a tent won't be completely ruined in a little over a week. If people want to hoard let them

No... if you leave a tent out in the woods for a week, exposed to the wind and rain, and with no ground cloth, it will get rips, and let water seep through.

In all actuality, storing "sensitive" things in a tent would be a pretty poor choice.

Ten days is based in how long tents stay in server untouched.

Im not against hoarders, i think most of us have little hoarder inside of us.

This can even help new players and hoarders with 10+ tents.

Condition shows how long the tent will stay in server.

Otherwise it will just disappear "magically" with out any hint if it stays untouched too long.

Same with all other items and if you want keep them there longer, just fix them.

Also it will give hard times when you find badly damaged tent, now you need fix it with duct tape every 60 hours to get it back to damaged condition untill you find proper tool fix it good.

Edited by SuperSloth

CAMPING EXPERIENCE NO JUTSU!!!

A tent might survive in the elements, but it depends on where you pitch it. If you pitch it in a lea, (out of the wind) and protected from the rain, then it will stay as it is forever. I wild camped for 4 days in a single spot using this method on Dartmoor in Winter (which is Britain's version of hell).

Out in the elements, a tent will get beaten up quite a bit, and will eventually get soaked. Obviously it depends on the tent, but I wouldn't expect your standard range 4 man tent to survive more than ~2 weeks before collapsing. So, how about tents take wind damage and rain damage when they are exposed to them (you could check both of these with an action on the tent) and this, over time, causes the tent to lose condition. However, there is a difference between collapsed and ruined; extreme winds will make a tent collapse, but it won't always break the poles or tear the material.

So;

A tent is left exposed in the middle of a field

2 days: Soaked, stuff inside tent is wet

5 days: Material of tent is worn

10 days: Material of tent is damaged, stuff inside tent is soaked (certain foods (not tins) are ruined)

15 days: Material of tent is badly damaged, tent is collapsed, stuff inside tent is damaged (some items are worn, some are ruined, depends on how hardy they should be in general) and soaked

Tent in sheltered position would go through the same, but over many weeks rather than in 2 weeks. And this could be prevented by general maintenance, or good weather.

I also think diffrent tents should degrade diffrently. The military grade ones are ment for long periods of use. Civlian ones are more ment for your weekend enthusiast. Perhaps adding in a "mountain" tent designed as a middle poimt between military and civi, designed to last for weeks but not months like the heavey duty military ones.

Perhaps adding in a "mountain" tent designed as a middle poimt between military and civi

Yes please.

Also, give us improvised lean-to tent made with ashwood and tarp.

I'd rather see degradation in simpler way... If not touched by owner for 7 days, it starts getting durability lower every day, 24h after getting ruined, stuff dissapear.

After all the problems with CLE and lack of item degeneration we still have, i want to remind about this solution.

• Like 1