Sign in to follow this  
NewfieBadAss

alternate ways of starting fires

I would like to suggest several different ways to start fires. First would be adding a magnifying glass to the item list and being able to use it to light fires on sunny days only. Second would be crafting 2 sticks and a rope to be used to start a fire by friction.

-ahem-

I have been asking for "primitive" methods for firestarting for a while now. It would allow the playerbase to survive while also being less dependent on fickle loot spawns (LOOT FOR THE LOOT GOD, RNG FOR THE RNG THRONE!)

"Easy" to do, and only requires two sticks (foragable from the ground), and a piece of bark (foragable from standing trees). Takes the longest

"Easiest" to do, requires 2 sticks, 2 pieces of bark, and a length of cordage

Cordage: cordage is VERY important in a survival situation, and the ability to make cordage is a crucial skill. You can make "primitive" cordage from twisted bark

Or even twisted grass

Mate.....there are 500+ threads on this topic. 

More on topic, I would like to see more uses for plants, especially with regards to fires. The two off the top of my head are cattail and birch trees, both of which are already in-game.

Cattail: The seed head of the cattail is very flammable, capable of catching a spark very easily

Birch: Birch bark is high in oils, making it easy to light a fire even in very wet conditions. My personal preference for tinder. You don't even have to get a whole strip off the tree, or "scrape" it, as the below video shows. It will work with just the scraps you can pull off the tree (I prefer this, as it doesn't hurt the tree), and a healthy spark.

Birchbark also makes for excellent baskets, which by themselves are useful for survival, but when combined with "punky" wood, can be used to carry a lit, smoldering coal for a long time, eliminating the need for "firestarting" at all! Just build a fire and gently insert the lit coal into the center, amongst the tinder. Lo and behold, a fire in seconds!