langemitch

hunting mechanics

Just a thought, not even sure if it'd plausible or if you guys have already put this into the works. I was thinking that if hunting is going to be a major source of food in the game (which I think is awesome) than maybe we could have some way of tracking animals such as finding tracks or even just hearing them from a distance. A pig snort, a deer bleat, etc. Or maybe include some sort of calls to help attract the animals. Something that we can sit in the Hunter stands and blow the call and it's a roll of the dice whether or not an animal will show itself in the clearing. Just an idea I came up with. :) thanks for all the hard work and look forward to seeing this game progress.

• Like 2

I'd like a lot to see more in depth hunting mechanics, and I'm fairly certain we're barely scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to features as of now (Not even sure if I used that saying right)

Ya I mean it's just a matter of luck at this point if you find an animal. I'm just suggesting some way to add a level of skill and consistency. I love hunting for animals, but it gets frustrating when I'm just wondering around checking clearings in the hopes of finding an animal. I really enjoy the "living of the land" style of gameplay. I'd just like it to be a bit more in-depth if possible.

Let's take it up a notch..... what if we as survivor's become prey for wild animals? You in russia, russia is full of bears, cougars and wolfs. Can you imagine almost real like travel in the woods? In the city you afraid of zombies, at military bases you afraid on other players but in the woods it's not any easier :)

If I rememeber correctly I think on the dev road map they have natural predators coming pretty soon :)

I'd like a lot to see more in depth hunting mechanics, and I'm fairly certain we're barely scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to features as of now (Not even sure if I used that saying right)

If you're scraping the bottom of the barrel it implies that you made a choice due to some constraint. Let's say you bought a crappy car. somebody might say 'you must be really scraping the bottom of the barrel' implying that you didn't have the money to purchase a batter vehicle. Equally you might be forced to employ somebody not suited for a certain job because they were the only person available. That would also be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I think you meant 'scratching the surface' implying that a lot of content is ready to be implemented and all we are getting for now is the preliminary placeholders... so effectively the opposite of scraping the bottom of the barrel ;D

I hope to see hunting expanded. I'd also like to see more animals since I tend to either see vast herds of cattle which can spot me prone from 500 meters or I never see anything. Tracks would go a long way to alleviating that, and would mean players would have to actually hunt animals rather than just seeing them, going 'oh' and then shooting them.

• Like 2

If you're scraping the bottom of the barrel it implies that you made a choice due to some constraint. Let's say you bought a crappy car. somebody might say 'you must be really scraping the bottom of the barrel' implying that you didn't have the money to purchase a batter vehicle. Equally you might be forced to employ somebody not suited for a certain job because they were the only person available. That would also be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I think you meant 'scratching the surface' implying that a lot of content is ready to be implemented and all we are getting for now is the preliminary placeholders... so effectively the opposite of scraping the bottom of the barrel ;D

I hope to see hunting expanded. I'd also like to see more animals since I tend to either see vast herds of cattle which can spot me prone from 500 meters or I never see anything. Tracks would go a long way to alleviating that, and would mean players would have to actually hunt animals rather than just seeing them, going 'oh' and then shooting them.

agreed hunting needs to be a bigger part of the game and needs vast improvements. i don't want to have to spend all my free survival time playing farmville.

Well, BIS bought Cauldron, the dudes/dudettes that made "Cabela Hunting Games".

Whilst said hunting games are pretty arcadey I think they'll add real cool stuff in DayZ.

Lol, thanks, but people get it, I'd hope xD

i would like the ability to bait animals with fresh vegetables and stuff. Because im lazy and dont feel like tracking or anything.