Sign in to follow this  
thedogfoodyayho

Weapon Discussion: Mauser C/96.

After over a year of begging, the C/96 seems to be close to release. (Another pic from the DayZ FB page...) For those that don't know, the Mauser C/96 "Broomhandle" Is a 7.63x25mm German semi-automatic handgun that debuted in - You guessed it - 1896. It was the first commercially successful semi-automatic pistol - (Actaully, the first successful semi-automatic weapon I believe) and the first successful Mauser handgun. Although the German military passed it over in favor of the Luger, the C/96 was used the world over during from the early 20th century to the 1950s. Many small nations used it before WWI, And many Russian and British officers purchased the weapon, and the Russian government itself acquired some. During the war, due to a shortage of Lugers, the German military acquired a large amount of C/96s. Later in the war, a version chambered in 9x19mm Luger appeared. To avoid the wrong ammo being loaded, A number nine was carved & painted into the grips. These models became known as the "Red Nine's". Post-war, many were sent to the USSR, And used by both sides during the Russian civil war. During this time, factories in China and Spain began producing copies. It is unknown how many were produced in these countries, but it was probably well over the 1 million produced in Germany. They saw heavy use during WWII, (The full auto m712 was also used during WWII) the Korean and the Vietnam wars, and thereafter fell from military use.

Famous people who carried the C/96:

Winston Churchill

Han Solo

Anyway, enough of that. to the actual gameplay. The C/96 (This version is a 9mm) has a 10-round internal magazine, meaning it doesn't need to detachable magazine to be loaded. However, it can use stripper clips if needed, similarly to the Mosin or SKS. This means that if you find a C/96, You can have it at it's full potential without having to spend 3 days finding a magazine. It is also a fairly accurate weapon, owing to it's long barrel and adjustable sights (Which I might add can be zeroed to 1000m...). However, it won't really be that good of a weapon, as it will be slow to load, meaning this will probably be lower-tier weapon. However, because of it's age, it will probably be very rare.  

A wooden shoulder stock was made for the C/96, which doubled as it's holster. Fitting this would make it a nice little carbine.

So go at it. Do you think it will be useful? How common should it be? Should it not be added? Is it not the coolest looking gun ever?

DayZ Model Render:

1891579_745447285574220_4448287677647020

A couple C96's with a variety of accessories. Note shoulder stock. This opens up and the gun fits inside.

accessories53.jpg

• Like 3

I can tell you love your old weapons I love them as well. I love this weapon it looks amazing and it'll fit perfect I want a clip like the SKS to come in and a stock. I am most definantly going use this weapon a lot if it comes in. Though at the same time it reminds me what about TT 33 will this able to come in as a brother to the c96 sure they'll have to add a new round tokerav but they can add some great weapons if they do ppsh 41, ppd 40, bizon. The only thing to make this weapon complete is a red army uniform.

• Like 1

Yeah, implementation alongside a Soviet Greatcoat and we're in business.

• Like 1

Do you think it will be useful?

Any gun can be useful

How common should it be?

Unicorn

Should it not be added?

It's already settled

Is it not the coolest looking gun ever?

No

owing to it's long barrel and adjustable sights (Which I might add can be zeroed to 1000m...).

*500 m

However, it won't really be that good of a weapon, as it will be slow to load

Without stripper clips, very slow.

However, because of it's age, it will probably be very rare.

Let's hope so

Edited by Gews
  • Like 2

I can tell you love your old weapons I love them as well. I love this weapon it looks amazing and it'll fit perfect I want a clip like the SKS to come in and a stock. I am most definantly going use this weapon a lot if it comes in. Though at the same time it reminds me what about TT 33 will this able to come in as a brother to the c96 sure they'll have to add a new round tokerav but they can add some great weapons if they do ppsh 41, ppd 40, bizon. The only thing to make this weapon complete is a red army uniform.

This is the 9x19mm variant. I don't really see them adding any 7.63 ones.

• Like 1

Personally, I want a Stahlhelm to match it.

183410401397251en.jpg

Maybe, but we need one of these first:

RU_Ssh40M2.jpg

• Like 1

This is the 9x19mm variant. I don't really see them adding any 7.63 ones.

I know its a 9×19mm I'm pretty sure why it says 9 and red I think means the red army???? I don't know I can't remember. Though you pointed out 7.63 Mauser or the original caliber for the c96 and i agree no point in adding this in one gun can chamber it maybe there more.I'm talking about the TT 33 rounds or ppsh 41 or what ever you want to call it cool to have this along. Two old awesome guns at the same time...... Or the TT is out how about a luger po8. Edited by DaNic2553

These are the guns that can fire 7.62x25 right?

7.62x25 ammunition fits in regular C96 pistols, but these are the 'Red-9' version made in 9x19mm (you can see the big 9 carved on the handle.)

It doesn't really matter anyway - C96s were never designed to fire 7.62x25 and will wear down considerably quickly if you do use that ammo with it. There are a good enough number of true 7.62x25 guns that can be added without this being one of them.

It will be good to have another weapon available that doesn't require a magazine to fully load it. Now add the MP 40 too :D

Just because they showed us a picture doesn't mean it's coming soon sadly. They've been teasing the Winchester for ages not and yet it still isn't in. Still I am excited, hopefully this will come in soon along with the Winchester, SVD, VSS Vinteroz, and UMP45.

Next they add the SCAR-20 and all CS GO players ragequit ;)