Sign in to follow this  
over9000nukez

Why can't we eat infected humans?

Someone on twitter asked why we cant eat zombies since we're immune to the disease.

I never thought of that, but that's honestly a very good point, why can we cannibalize infected humans.

I'll be waiting for your answer, devs.

Someone on twitter asked why we cant eat zombies since we're immune to the disease.

I never thought of that, but that's honestly a very good point, why can we cannibalize infected humans.

aren't they like, rotted through??

• Like 1

aren't they like, rotted through??

their new textures don't make them seem rotten.

their new textures don't make them seem rotten.

i guess a couple of them look semi-edible

uh

ew

The 'zombie virus' itself is not all you'd have to be worried about - the infected we see now are covered in blood, soil, and other bodily fluids, so they're undoubtedly contaminated by several other diseases. They also seem to eat any living humans/animals they encounter unrestrained and with the virus having compromised their immune systems they probably have plenty of bad stuff running through their systems as well.

It would not be a viable option to try and eat a zombie, case in point.

The biggest reason, however, is probably just gameplay. If you could kill and eat zombies as easily as humans or anything else, it would kind of remove the point of making food a scarce resource because you could turn nearly everything into a food source. Getting food is supposed to be difficult and it wouldn't help nor make sense in the end to make everything into just another food source.

• Like 2

The 'zombie virus' itself is not all you'd have to be worried about - the infected we see now are covered in blood, soil, and other bodily fluids, so they're undoubtedly contaminated by several other diseases. They also seem to eat any living humans/animals they encounter unrestrained and with the virus having compromised their immune systems they probably have plenty of bad stuff running through their systems as well.

The biggest reason, however, is probably just gameplay. If you could kill and eat zombies as easily as humans or anything else, it would kind of remove the point of making food a scarce resource because you could turn nearly everything into a food source. Getting food is supposed to be difficult and it wouldn't help nor make sense in the end to make everything into just another food source.

This, basically.

The "zombie virus" made them what they are, but they are almost certainly hosting a whole slew of other diseases by this point, as well as being covered in various body fluids.

This, basically.

The "zombie virus" made them what they are, but they are almost certainly hosting a whole slew of other diseases by this point, as well as being covered in various body fluids.

I like Chaingun's last point, I just want to see a reason as to why not, this does effect the story, as they are humans what are infected with a disease we're immune to, and the "fall of the world" only happened roughly a 3-6 weeks ago. Any pathogens inside the body at this point I think could be gotten rid of through cooking the flesh. you see, this is a hole in the story, that the community can point out, and that's what is so great about communities and story making, other viewpoints that the developers have not previously thought about.

Edited by over9000nukez

i guess a couple of them look semi-edible

uh

ew

theres people who eat humans, why not infected humans? :) just cut off one of their arms, avoid maybe the fingernails and such.

You guys are really grasping at trying to dumb the game down since this patch.....

why's that? I actually like the patch, I'm just curious as to why you can't eat human NPCs, but can eat human players.

why's that? I actually like the patch, I'm just curious as to why you can't eat human NPCs, but can eat human players.

Did you bother reading the responses in this thread?  Would you eat a cow with anthrax?

Did you bother reading the responses in this thread?  Would you eat a cow with anthrax?

did you bother reading my responses to those responses? I'm guessing not, but if people weren't effected by anthrax, things would be different. just like how the player in dayz is immune to the infection in dayz's zombies.

Edited by over9000nukez

did you bother reading my responses to those responses? I'm guessing not, but if people weren't effected by anthrax, things would be different. just like how the player in dayz is immune to the infection in dayz's zombies.

THEY.HAVE.OTHER.DISEASES.AS.WELL.

Hepatitis A, Cholera, various infected wounds, covered in their own diarrhea-soaked clothing, with blood seeping from their facial orifices. Etc etc etc

Edited by Whyherro123

Also the same reason you dont eat players unless you want prion disease -

• Like 1

I attribute the current EXPLOSION of cannibalism in-game to the fact that eating human meat currently only gives you food poisoning, if that.

There is literally NO DOWNSIDE to eating another person, when there should be. Eat someone, "get the Kuru", and mark yourself as untrustworthy to literally every other player. Or, get some NASTY intestinal parasites, at the very least.

THEY.HAVE.OTHER.DISEASES.AS.WELL.

Hepatitis A, Cholera, various infected wounds, covered in their own diarrhea-soaked clothing, with blood seeping from their facial orifices. Etc etc etc

you know, before ketchup, they used those things you listed as toppings and sauce for nachos.

jokes aside, its only 3 weeks, I doubt they have that many disease at this point. maybe the diarrhea soaked undies, but other than that, cut around all that ,and you got yourself a meal.

Edited by over9000nukez

you know, before ketchup, they used those things you listed as toppings and sauce for nachos.

jokes aside, its only 3 weeks, I doubt they have that many disease at this point. maybe the diarrhea soaked undies, but other than that, cut around all that you got got yourself a meal.

Tell me, where did you get the idea that it has only been three weeks? Because, while some evidence points to it being only a couple of days, there is other evidence that suggests it has been MONTHS since society collapsed.

if you cook it I think you have a 0% chance currently, when cooked, though.

Tell me, where did you get the idea that it has only been three weeks? Because, while some evidence points to it being only a couple of days, there is other evidence that suggests it has been MONTHS since society collapsed.

3 weeks is about the mean date, between all dates, and is accepted by a lot of the community.  but this is just an idea, for the sake of argument, I personally woundn't want to see this in game, but there's a hole in the story of the game if this is the case (not being able to eat infected humans). we eat disease filled animals all the time in the real world, stuffed with horomones, and sick their entire lives until fed to the consumer.

Hmmm...

While i find the idea of canibalizing the infected appauling,let's not forget that they also come with guts and bones.

It's a bad idea skinning the infected for their nutritonal value,but not so much if it means aquiring crafting materials.

if you cook it I think you have a 0% chance currently, when cooked, though.

The phrase "Prion disease" is a misnomer, because Prions are mis-folded proteins and as such, a "prion disease", like Kuru and the in-game "store-brand" version of Kuru, "brain fever", is not really a disease at all. They can't be treated with antibiotics or retrovirals. There is currently no cure, but some work with antibodies and protein chains "seems promising" (read:conclusive results are a long way off.

Also, since prions are mis-folded protiens, cooking does nothing to remove the chance of transmission.  Natives of New Guinea developed Kuru after eating the cooked bodies of dead relatives in ritual cannibalism.

Hmmm...

While i find the idea of canibalizing the infected appauling,let's not forget that they also come with guts and bones.

It's a bad idea skinning the infected for their nutritonal value,but not so much if it means aquiring crafting materials.

Couldn't agree more, again, I post this for the sake of agreement. This is a clear hole in the plot, as you can eat some humans (players) and be healthy, and eating the infected humans (zombies) which we happen to be immune to.

Need the ability to turn into and play as a zombie

The phrase "Prion disease" is a misnomer, because Prions are mis-folded proteins and as such, a "prion disease", like Kuru and the in-game "store-brand" version of Kuru, "brain fever", is not really a disease at all. They can't be treated with antibiotics or retrovirals. There is currently no cure, but some work with antibodies and protein chains "seems promising" (read:conclusive results are a long way off.

Also, since prions are mis-folded protiens, cooking does nothing to remove the chance of transmission.  Natives of New Guinea developed Kuru after eating the cooked bodies of dead relatives in ritual cannibalism.

why not make it so if you ate an infected human you get a brain disease as well? with, instead of say the normal chance you get from players, you have a 50% chance.

3 weeks is about the mean date, between all dates, and is accepted by a lot of the community.  but this is just an idea, for the sake of argument, I personally woundn't want to see this in game, but there's a hole in the story of the game if this is the case (not being able to eat infected humans). we eat disease filled animals all the time in the real world, stuffed with horomones, and sick their entire lives until fed to the consumer.

I've NEVER seen "3 weeks accepted by a lot of the community". If anything, most of the "older" member of the community suggest it has been longer, and collectively decided that "we" (the forumgoers) couldn't really tell, and would have to wait on some word from the devs.

NOTE: animal meats are almost universally disinfected via ammonia sprays and injections before packaging. They are also injected with antibiotics to fight off the diseases they get from living in such conditions. Not even TOUCHING the fact that most (not saying that it doesn't happen, or isn't possible) cross-species disease transmission is iffy at best.