Sign in to follow this  
Time Glitch

Keep Zed Number As-Is; Change Spawning Algorithm

I think we can all agree that the number of zombies right now borders on crazy, and I think this a good thing overall. It helps prevent Deathmatching and rampant bandits ruling cities. However, there is one glaring issue right now that definitely needs to be addressed:

I think a lot of people think there are more zombies than there actually are because currently, zeds can respawn in your area even if you've cleared all of them out. I had it happen to me as I was pretty much bleeding out. I had to hope for the best and mad-dash it out of an area because the zombies just kept respawning and I didn't have enough ammo or life to take them all out.

I would love to see the number of zombies stay as they are, as they provide tons of benefits to gameplay. However, the algorithm needs tweaking on WHERE they can spawn, specifically have them not spawn right next to the player, or right where another zombie was just shot dead.

/agree

Keep the massive amount of zombies but stop them from spawning quicker then you can kill them! :D

Force people to create alliances to survive. More social interaction = more fun for everyone.

/agree

Keep the massive amount of zombies but stop them from spawning quicker then you can kill them! :D

Force people to create alliances to survive. More social interaction = more fun for everyone.

Agreed, it needs to be somewhat balanced.. Id like to see them respawn though to simulate zombies coming out of buildings etc.. Just not so constant. Also overrall id like to see them in forests, open fields, in between towns etc. Hordes even roaming, sometimes massive ones that cover a large area would be epic.

+1

Current number of zombies is good. Double the respawn time and increase the distance from player where zombies can't spawn, and it will be perfect.

increase the distance from player where zombies can't spawn

This.

Nothing breaks immersion like clearing a house and seeing more zombies spawn in it when you walk out of the door.

Players have to keep moving and want to explore anyway, so the will encounter the zombies even if the zombies can't spawn in a large radius around them.

I don't want towns to become total safe heavens when they are cleared, but zombies should wander into town rather than spawn in there when it's populated by players. It would require the players to keep lookout, but not constantly worry about someone spawning behind their back.

The spawning algorithm could definitely use some tweaking. However it may be necessary to have some amount of re-spawning to be able to retain the same 'prevent-bandits-taking-over-city' reason you mentioned above, otherwise bandits could just clear all zombies out and continue their rampant douchebaggery indefinitely.

Agreed. It just doesn't make sense how me and my group can clear out an entire area of zombies and then 5 minutes later they all respawn right in front of our eyes 50m away. its really tedious.

This is exactly what needs to happen.

The zombie numbers right now are great but the respawn rate just breaks immersion.

Its just unrealistic.

change the respawn and you got this part pretty much nailed

Agreed' date=' it needs to be somewhat balanced.. Id like to see them respawn though to simulate zombies coming out of buildings etc.. Just not so constant. Also overrall id like to see them in forests, open fields, in between towns etc. Hordes even roaming, sometimes massive ones that cover a large area would be epic.

[/quote']

^This

It needs to be overwhelming but theres something satisfying about going in with friends and changing the town to relatively safe so you can plunder it. Amount of zed = great, having them respawn with the same intensity having just killed them isn't.

totally agree. I love that the numbers of zeds we're seeing now are making it more of a stealth and evasion game than a zombie shooter. Pretty much all survival manuals of any kind advocate knowing how to conceal yourself and dodge being tracked. It's totally in line with the whole idea of the thing, and feels extremely legit.

I totally support the idea of not having zombies respawn in a area you just cleared as long as you stay in this area.

However zombies could come in anywhere from the surrounding area you are in.