Sign in to follow this  
blackbeard06

Porting Dayz into SP-COOP Campaign

Forgive me if I am re-posting or in just an inappropriate area. I have done some searching and have yet to find such questions.

From one zombie lover to another I love everything done with Dayz, I enjoy the MP play like no other. However making a Zombie Campaign has been my dream with arma, but before Day z it was not possible to have such a stable mod(compared to earlier concepts).

My question is: would there be a way to only port the Zombies, sfx, and animations into a SP or COOP campaign?

Before Dayz there was some very buggy, lightly worked on Zombie mod. With this mod it allowed us to add zombies with the editor and such, What I am trying to make is a Zombie Campaign with Day Z animations, sfx, and zombie faction (models) that I can make with scripts, and the a2 in game editor.

I have some "light" script knowledge and am almost certainly sure scripts will have to be used in order to port it correctly. However playing around by moving the files into my mission directly is not working.. Any ideas?

I have heard rumors that someone is working on bringing it over to SP.

I really hope that this is correct. For me, a single player campaign with a fixed number of zeds and no loot respawns would be outstanding. Maybe make it a playable co-op so you can play with friends and not have to worry about deathmatchers, etc etc.

It should be possible, the only limiting factor is the HIVE connection which handles pretty much everything important, player stats, items, location etc.

I wouldn't bother with it though, single player dayz type game will need a hell of a lot of balancing to get it playable without other people in.

I don't think it would take much more than a version of hive that supports sqlite and stores info locally. Then theoretically as your progress is only saved on that server the DayZ team could allow locked/private servers that support their own rule set..

theres some stuff on google code i think it is from the hive player code, so someone is working on it presumably.

it would be easy enough to get a database working so the game can run but making sure your treating the data right could take a while.

after all theres some hacky stuff going on to make some of the stuff for the mod work.

Also you wouldn't need to be counting on the unrelieable/overloaded hive server.

Single player or COOP will destroy everything this mod has created.

Why?

Some people prefer to play solo. The I Am Legend approach to surviving sounds more interesting than spending all of your time hiding from bandits, IMO. Like I said, a fixed zed count (or a script that lets you lower the number over time), and extremely scarce weapons and supplies that don't respawn actually sound more challenging.

There are also other possibilities that open up when you don't have to worry about 50 players in one server. Maybe zombies wandering through the woods or migrating hordes. Stuff that is currently just not feasible. I don't know much about coding but I would have to think it's within the realm of possibility.

It's not like someone playing solo or co-op is going to ruin it for anyone else. Most people are still going to be using the main servers.

It's not hard, but its a waste of time until beta or release. Because everything is being rewritten.

• Like 1

depends how much your really really really want to play by yourself :P

depends how much your really really really want to play by yourself :P

Careful you'll go blind :P

i would love if this could be made since i can't play multiplayer I want a chance to experience this mod

Adding some sort of "AI bandit" system to possible "DayZ co-op" could work. You could have solo "bandits" placed around camps, forest and towns. The player(s) would still have to worry about food and not being shot by the "bandits". Using the same system like now, if you got shot, you die.

sounds awesome anything similar to this mod would be great for solo

Well my reason for this was to create a story behind the apocalypse. I have many ideas & scenarios and would love to jam pack them into a campaign.

Also as an independent filmmaker this would defiantly help my next feature with the whole creative writing process.

It won't be the same as DayZ, since I'm only looking for a stable Zombie mod complete with stable animations, sound effects, and textures. I know the Dev Team has plans for a story and mission integration in the future so therefor I have another story in mind and am not looking to write the Day Z Story.

The current Zombie mod that was released for Arma 2 is unstable and no where near as good as DayZ. Unfortunately it looks like I will have to use the unstable mod until DayZ is complete.