Sign in to follow this  
naggikeitto

A new sniper rifle and a new LRS

Aha, so in DayZ where you don't have to account for windage this would be pointless.

Aha, so in DayZ where you don't have to account for windage this would be pointless.

Wind is coming.

Hmm... I think they should add the Finnish variant of Mosin, M39

m39-3.jpg

Don't know much but basically Finns had a lot of old Mosin leftovers at the beginning of WW2, and only improved them by ordering Swiss made, match grade barrels. 

Uh, all you need is a drop in stock for a mosin to make it more "modern" there are literally so many stocks for older rifles like the Mosin Nagant, SKS, AK (any variant), AR-15/M-16 Series. All they do is have to add a new stock to the game that you can pick up and exchange with your current Mosin.

stuff%20521.jpg

This would be easier for them while they are developing the game....they're common and cheap since the rifles them selves are cheap. Finding high end rifles would be more rare and especially match grade ammo that would make them better for long distance, since around the world, even if the country allows firearms, it costs money to buy high end shooting rifles. Also, they should add different ammo types that could help with this, 203 grain round is heavier and can travel further and more accurately than a lower grain light round, the surplus Mosin ammo that's available is cheap, but it's 147 grain and corrosive. The 203 grain steel case ammo that's also surplus is a little bit more accurate and gets the job done well and fairs better over long distance engagements and isn't corrosive might be better for precision shooting at distance.

Adding additional thoughts, having super rare rifles is always cool, and when you find them you feel like a badass, but when you add a million m107A1's into a game and everyone has one, it get kinda boring, variety is always nice and make rare, well...rare. Remington 700's are very common place, so are military surplus rifles from previous era's. I would like to see a wide array of firearms that all fill certain rolls, you wouldn't use an AKM for a 600+ meter engagement so it would be nice to see more rifles out there, older as well as new. Finding simple upgrades and stocks for rifles can solve many problems if they added them, but I fear the game will end up being like the mod in the same way that for the longest time, I encountered a lot of people with .50cals with crap loads of ammo and thermal sights for them. I'm hoping that the variety will be implemented long before the issue rears it's head, if 1 out of every 50 people had a rare rifle, I'm fine with that, it would be more common to see people with Mosin's, Remingtons, Savage 10's or even 11's. Stuff that's common for hunting and sporting. If everyone had a .338 then what would be the fun? The same goes for battle/select fire rifles, a lot of rifles use the same calibers, but they are better in different situations.

If they wanted too, they could add the SVD and the PSL to take on DMR roles. To make it easier to engage at a distance or medium to even short ranges.

Yes, but do you think that Archangel stock makes any sense in a Eastern-bloc country?

Yes, but do you think that Archangel stock makes any sense in a Eastern-bloc country?

It's just an example, there are so many different stocks out there, you wouldn't think someone in a country where you can obtain them would have them? As you state in a previous thread, you believe that a lot of the older firearms are hand me downs. Well, if you know anything about hunters, not everyone holds onto hand me downs, it's not all that uncommon to see people go out and buy cheap firearms and modify them or change them because they are cheap and replaceable. Russia allows legal ownership of firearms, that means they are allowed to modify the firearm for sporting or hunting purposes. Just like americans import firearms, mods for firearms, and parts for firearms, the Russians can do the same. it doesn't matter the stock, any can be purchased. That being said, do you think SV-98's, M110's, M-24's, M40A5's, SVD's, M-14's, or pretty much any other firearms would be as easy to find? Civilians and Both Military can own them, the difference is, civilians can only own semi automatic weapons (which all that were listed were, and all are considered precision bolt action or DMR's) but the civilians are limited to 10 round magazines by law (which isn't a big issue since many of them only hold 5-10 rounds). Modifying isn't just an American concept, apparently many people believe that every Russian is an 80 year old guy who doesn't even change or modify their firearms. On another note, they should consider adding Vepr's as a DMR type rifle since it can also be chambered in .308, 7.62x54R, 7.62x39, and a few others. Could be the equivalent of an PSL or SVD.

Hmm... I think they should add the Finnish variant of Mosin, M39

m39-3.jpg

Don't know much but basically Finns had a lot of old Mosin leftovers at the beginning of WW2, and only improved them by ordering Swiss made, match grade barrels. 

The sako barrel sure did improve accuracy.

I personally would rather they make the mosin in game now not take any optics including the pu.

Then add a sniper version of the mosin with the bent bolt that spawns rarely and can take the pu scope.

The sako barrel sure did improve accuracy.

I personally would rather they make the mosin in game now not take any optics including the pu.

Then add a sniper version of the mosin with the bent bolt that spawns rarely and can take the pu scope.

Both versions can use the PU Scope, the straight-bolt ones are just more complicated to use properly with the scope attached.

There's no real reason for them to add a different variant with a straight-bolt to the game, as it's unnecessary development time for such a minor detail that wouldn't even prevent people from using the PU anyway. It would have been better for them to do so in the beginning but they decided to make one with a bent-bolt because of the LRS and they've already said that regardless of whether or not they remove the LRS the Mosin will stay as is.

Both versions can use the PU Scope, the straight-bolt ones are just more complicated to use properly with the scope attached.

There's no real reason for them to add a different variant with a straight-bolt to the game, as it's unnecessary development time for such a minor detail that wouldn't even prevent people from using the PU anyway. It would have been better for them to do so in the beginning but they decided to make one with a bent-bolt because of the LRS and they've already said that regardless of whether or not they remove the LRS the Mosin will stay as is.

I thought the current in game mosin was not drilled and tapped for a pu scope thus mounting it would not be possible.

The amount of work to separate make true sniper variant of the mosin with the bent bolt by adding a straight bolt mosin would be worth it.

Especially since it now offers the game a basic low tier rifle with little to no customization and questionable accuracy just like the lee enfield in the mod.

Currently the mosin as it stands is too versatile.

I thought the current in game mosin was not drilled and tapped for a pu scope thus mounting it would not be possible.

The amount of work to separate make true sniper variant of the mosin with the bent bolt by adding a straight bolt mosin would be worth it.

Especially since it now offers the game a basic low tier rifle with little to no customization and questionable accuracy just like the lee enfield in the mod.

Currently the mosin as it stands is too versatile.

I don't know. The PU scope is not the greatest, the M44 compensator does basically nothing, the bayonet is a universal attachment that would be available on both rifles (and should spawn as default on both, but doesn't for balance reasons), and the ghillie wrap and improvised suppressors are universal attachments.

The PU scope and aesthetic bolt change would be the only real difference between two nearly identical rifles, and modeling as well as animation changes plus all of the standard work that goes into making new variants just isn't worth it for the amount of change you're getting. If the devs decide to go along with it, then that's fine, but I don't see any reason to split into two rifles. The gun can still be made into a low tier rifle by simply offering low availability of attachments, because there's no reason why there needs to be lots of of PU scopes or M44 compensators spawning around.

The only way I'd be able to get behind this is if they had the sniper variant spawn with the PU scope pre-attached, but then that's still somewhat detrimental as you'd have to do the same for the SVT-40 in the future and PU-equipped SVTs had no major differences to the base rifle unlike the bolts on the Mosin.

I mean, I'm not completely opposed to this happening but it seems like it'd be a waste of time in the end.

The only way I'd be able to get behind this is if they had the sniper variant spawn with the PU scope pre-attached, but then that's still somewhat detrimental as you'd have to do the same for the SVT-40 in the future and PU-equipped SVTs had no major differences to the base rifle unlike the bolts on the Mosin.

I mean, I'm not completely opposed to this happening but it seems like it'd be a waste of time in the end.

Yea having it spawn with the pu scope + camo wrap is what I was thinking.

Chances are if they do add the SVT the pu wont  go on it. The pu mount for the svt 40 is completely different.

mg0376.jpg

Yea having it spawn with the pu scope + camo wrap is what I was thinking.

Chances are if they do add the SVT the pu wont  go on it. The pu mount for the svt 40 is completely different.

The mount may be different but several rifles are able to attach scopes just by virtue of being able to have them in real life despite not always using the same mounts, so I'm not sure this applies.

Camo/ghillie wrap shouldn't be spawning on any guns, just like the improvised suppressor I believe that you should need to craft them to use them. I'd be okay with it if a small percentage of rifles spawned with a random paint job applied but the furthest I'd go for any dedicated sniper Mosin would be just the PU. And ideally the bayonet, but just like the SKS' I understand why they have them as separate attachments rather than on gun spawns.

I would like to see the VSS Vintorez in game as well one day. It has some interesting choices with magazines and such.

vcc_vintorez3.jpg

9911313.jpg

Perhaps add a spawning AS Val with the skeletal folding stock

AS_Val.png

Make it convertible into VSS Vintorez by attaching a PSO-1 Scope and spawning sniper stock, like in the image of previous message.

The mount may be different but several rifles are able to attach scopes just by virtue of being able to have them in real life despite not always using the same mounts, so I'm not sure this applies.

Camo/ghillie wrap shouldn't be spawning on any guns, just like the improvised suppressor I believe that you should need to craft them to use them. I'd be okay with it if a small percentage of rifles spawned with a random paint job applied but the furthest I'd go for any dedicated sniper Mosin would be just the PU. And ideally the bayonet, but just like the SKS' I understand why they have them as separate attachments rather than on gun spawns.

I thought they were striving for realism when it came to mounts. I thought that was the reasoning for some optics not taking scopes yet due to incorrect mounts.

2001.jpg

If possible I would love to see different colors randomly be assigned to the mosin at spawn well not completely random but colors similiar to the colors they have come in in real life.

Perhaps possible perhaps not but it would be a  nice addition only if it were possible and not much work.

The Mosin can take a PE and PEM scope as well. so it can have the ability to take a longer range scope if it was a bent bolt.

I thought they were striving for realism when it came to mounts. I thought that was the reasoning for some optics not taking scopes yet due to incorrect mounts.

If possible I would love to see different colors randomly be assigned to the mosin at spawn well not completely random but colors similiar to the colors they have come in in real life.

Perhaps possible perhaps not but it would be a  nice addition only if it were possible and not much work.

Some rifles don't take scopes because they want to make it more involved with crafting. That's why we heard a lot about attachments for existing guns and new ones that haven't been added yet, because they're likely going to become more advanced as the time goes on.

Some rifles I'm sure aren't ever going to have scopes, though.

If they do anything else with the Mosin I'd love to see a dedicated carbine-length variant, like the M38, M44, or even M1907 Cavalry carbine. The 1891/30 is the obvious standard purpose rifle, and the Obrez is the improvised variant, but a carbine would basically be a mix of the two with accuracy better than the Obrez but portability better than the full rifle. The carbine variant wouldn't have the PU scope either, so I feel like they could add those as scopeless variants that also ultimately add to what we have in the end.

If they do anything else with the Mosin I'd love to see a dedicated carbine-length variant, like the M38, M44, or even M1907 Cavalry carbine. The 1891/30 is the obvious standard purpose rifle, and the Obrez is the improvised variant, but a carbine would basically be a mix of the two with accuracy better than the Obrez but portability better than the full rifle. The carbine variant wouldn't have the PU scope either, so I feel like they could add those as scopeless variants that also ultimately add to what we have in the end.

The carbine addition would accomplish the same thing as my idea of having a model with the bent bolt and one without one.

With more work of course but the carbine version of the mosin is nice.

The carbine addition would accomplish the same thing as my idea of having a model with the bent bolt and one without one.

With more work of course but the carbine version of the mosin is nice.

It would, but the plus is that you get more variation as well as utility in the end, rather than just having two nearly identical rifles where the only major difference in performance is that one is capable of using an okay WW2-era scope, while the other is restricted to ironsights. A carbine variant would at least be a different rifle that is distinguishable and adds more in the end.