ColdAtrophy

Noob on a Rescue Mission

So I've spent about 3 hours wandering Z-land and collecting supplies. I have a friend who has logged off for the night and my mission before I go to bed is to get as close to his approximate location as possible with the supplies necessary to help him fix his fractures and get going again. I've lost some blood, but I have plenty of food and drink, a few medical items, ammo and a gun, a melee weapon, and I've identified my blood type as A+.

I still have a long way to go. I keep getting wet and therefore cold. I had a raincoat but it got wrecked and I had to discard it about an hour ago after a zombie attack. I can't figure out how to make fire to get myself dry when I have the opportunity. I'm worried that I'm not gonna make it to him and will instead die before I get there.

Can anyone offer me some tips? What items do I need? Where should I stop to get better items and medical supplies? I'd like to avoid places known to be super hotspots so as to keep from a KoS situation. I will likely die in a PvP confrontation as I've lost a good chunk of blood and I have no idea how to get more. I had a saline bag which I think would have helped but it's missing from my inventory.

My approximate location: http://www.izurvive.com/#c=30;67;4

I'm somewhere in here but I'm not 100% sure where.

My friend is somewhere around here: http://www.izurvive.com/#c=78;83;5

Can someone help me plot a route that leads to the greatest chance of success? 

Thanks,

A Survivor

Edited by ColdAtrophy

How many people are on your server? If it's not terribly populated, you've got a very good chance of just heading north to Dubro, then to Krasnostav, and on to Cernaya Polana to meet up with your friend. It's not that long of a run. There's plenty of loot in those 3 towns. Krasnostav even has a piano house, hospital, and police station. Cernaya Polana has a piano house and a fire station (amongst other stuff). That's a popular route but nowhere near as popular as the coast. Even on a more populated server it's possible to do that run and not see anyone. The key to victory here is finding a compass so you at least know which direction you're facing.

For your blood - eat and drink everything  you can find until you're stuffed. You may find some saline along the way in Krasnostav, that's your best bet. I'd help you if I were near, I'm over by Vybor right now.

You have a compass ? Head North West and stay away from large towns. Blood regenerates slowly but surely. Keep hydrated and well fed. Don't let your vitals go into the red. Also, when running, hold down the ALT key and keep scanning your surroundings. Don't get tunnel vision.

Constant running can usually keep the cold at bay. But when you find a pristine jacket, grab it.

If you are following roads you should be on the side of the road/grass/trees/bushes because its generally harder to see a player running on grass than a player running on the road.

Also the easiest way to help your friend would be saline and splint or morphine.
I wouldn't recommend taking your own blood for your friend simply because you called yourself a noob and noobs need every drop of compatible blood they can get.

To make a fire you will have to combine sticks or firewood with rags, bandages, paper or books.You need to make sure you have 5? sticks or firewood attached to the fireplace before it will allow you to light the fire with matches.

I also found a few pictures of houses that tend to have good loot/food/guns/ammo etc

AHrnc5Q.jpg0XXaHv1.jpgWHbz9AU.jpgpiano-house-full.jpg360px-BigYellowHouse_2a.jpg?version=45ce

Edited by Jesus Christ The Goblin

How many people are on your server? If it's not terribly populated, you've got a very good chance of just heading north to Dubro, then to Krasnostav, and on to Cernaya Polana to meet up with your friend. It's not that long of a run. There's plenty of loot in those 3 towns. Krasnostav even has a piano house, hospital, and police station. Cernaya Polana has a piano house and a fire station (amongst other stuff). That's a popular route but nowhere near as popular as the coast. Even on a more populated server it's possible to do that run and not see anyone. The key to victory here is finding a compass so you at least know which direction you're facing.

For your blood - eat and drink everything  you can find until you're stuffed. You may find some saline along the way in Krasnostav, that's your best bet. I'd help you if I were near, I'm over by Vybor right now.

Thanks. I looked at the map and I 100% agree. Krasnostav seems like the absolute best bet. It also seems like the place that may end my journey. I can't afford to not go there, but it looks like a larger city. That means Zed will be coming out of the woodwork. I wouldn't mind that except for one thing. I didn't have a compass and I went East instead of North. I ended up here: http://www.izurvive.com/#c=39;118;4 where I ran out of rounds for my .357 Repeater. The Hospital and the Police Station were already ransacked. All I found were some damaged boots and a worn out 9V battery. I am now armed with only my wits (LMAO!) and a rusty pickaxe. I am cold, low on drinks, and just outside of Khelm, 

http://www.izurvive.com/#c=57;97;5

If I make it through Krasnostav, I will be sure to come back and thank you all. If not, thank you all for your replies and advice. Know that I died fighting tooth and nail, with as much honor as one can muster while wearing a pink backpack and a ripped yellow raincoat. 

UPDATE: Special thanks to DJK, camo-clad, walking DayZ wiki, Ranger extraordinaire. He got me through the last leg of my journey to Cernaya Polana with a new set of pants, a nice canteen, and a crash course on some of the basics of surviving in Z-land that I had absolutely no idea about. Here's hoping I can get to my friend when he logs in tomorrow without having to venture too much closer to the sniper paradise of Novo.

Thanks for all the tips people. You guys are all right :)

Edited by ColdAtrophy

See? Not everyone in this game is a sociopathic douchenozzle. :)

Now take off your pants, get on your knees, and put your hands behind your head while I put this burlap sack over it, and then shoot you in the leg and leave you for the zeds to nom on.  :bandit:  

• Like 1

Even though you are new to this game you dont behave like a 'noob' and seem to have your shit together. Thats refreshing to see - I think you'll have much fun with this game! :)

Even though you are new to this game you dont behave like a 'noob' and seem to have your shit together. Thats refreshing to see - I think you'll have much fun with this game! :)

Thanks. I'm learning quickly. Chernarus is an unforgiving land. One must adapt or die. I chose the latter. :)

Thanks. I'm learning quickly. Chernarus is an unforgiving land. One must adapt or die. I chose the latter. :)

You chose to die? :P I think you meant you chose the "former", which would be to adapt; the "latter" would be to die. :) At least, I hope that's what you chose, unless you just couldn't resist pressing F11. :D

You chose to die? :P I think you meant you chose the "former", which would be to adapt; the "latter" would be to die. :) At least, I hope that's what you chose, unless you just couldn't resist pressing F11. :D

Long story. I was being stubborn about not being a homicidal maniac, resisting playing the game the way one needs to to survive. I popped my murder cherry today, all in the interest of the preservation of myself and my partner, of course.

You can read all about it here: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/222374-from-a-survivors-journal-day-1/

I can say without an ounce of hesitation that this was the single most compelling game experience I've ever had. 

Edited by ColdAtrophy